Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Choosing Locations - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

Dracus, I think your visual idea of the map precludes what is actually happening in the game, at least insofar as I understand it. When you think about the World Map, try not to envision everyone who plays the game as having their own little, very definite plot on the map. If this were the case, the game world would eventually run out of room completely, as there would be more player cities than there are spots available on the map to represent them. Imagine if DoF became as popular as WoW is now: There would literally be no room on the map for any new cities. All you could see would be city on top of city on top of city, because everyone had to have their own little self-contained region on the map.

When you look at the World Map, what you're likely to see is, first off, your city--represented aptly by either a little town or a big city icon, whichever is more appropriate based on your city's actual size--happily situated somewhere in the starting region that you chose when you created it. In addition to that, you would see the game's major cities, which all have definite locations to them, and likely a series of landmarks that also have definite positions. The map is not a 1-to-1 representation of the world, but rather a stylized representation of the world at large.

You will likely not see the cities of any other players. Again, this would be because showing every player's city would eventually fill up the map. Check out some of the World Map screenshots in the media forum; even the biggest region could only hold perhaps 20 or 30 player city markers before there was no way to even see the region itself. That isn't to say you can't visit other player-cities, or that they aren't there, but that they can't be represented on the map as you see it. In fact, choosing the same starting region as another player will probably mean you are always able to near-instantly travel to their aid through the use of the Alliance system. And don't get me wrong, there may be an option to show allied cities on the map for flavor, but by no means should we expect to see every player's holdings visibly represented.

All in all, I don't think you have to worry about the whole "random placement" thing. You won't be literally sharing borders with random people you don't know in a big grid-like puzzle of different city-states--you'll have a city in an instanced map in your starting region, same as everyone else (including your guildmates).

Last edited by TriggerHappyNDB : 02-07-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Mokhir has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocixel View Post
If you don't like your starting spot, can you recreate and hope for a random spot somewhere else? Maybe somewhere closer to friends (if there is a way to tell how close you are).
No, that is the reason i quit Lord of ultima and early Ikarium then evony along with countless forgotten mmorts's because my friend and i wanted to start an alliance together and explore the game as a group. I quit when i started to play and i found out it takes 7 hours for my freinds to send me resources.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Custos has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappyNDB View Post
Dracus, I think your visual idea of the map precludes what is actually happening in the game, at least insofar as I understand it. When you think about the World Map, try not to envision everyone who plays the game as having their own little, very definite plot on the map. If this were the case, the game world would eventually run out of room completely, as there would be more player cities than there are spots available on the map to represent them. Imagine if DoF became as popular as WoW is now: There would literally be no room on the map for any new cities. All you could see would be city on top of city on top of city, because everyone had to have their own little self-contained region on the map.

When you look at the World Map, what you're likely to see is, first off, your city--represented aptly by either a little town or a big city icon, whichever is more appropriate based on your city's actual size--happily situated somewhere in the starting region that you chose when you created it. In addition to that, you would see the game's major cities, which all have definite locations to them, and likely a series of landmarks that also have definite positions. The map is not a 1-to-1 representation of the world, but rather a stylized representation of the world at large.

You will likely not see the cities of any other players. Again, this would be because showing every player's city would eventually fill up the map. Check out some of the World Map screenshots in the media forum; even the biggest region could only hold perhaps 20 or 30 player city markers before there was no way to even see the region itself. That isn't to say you can't visit other player-cities, or that they aren't there, but that they can't be represented on the map as you see it. In fact, choosing the same starting region as another player will probably mean you are always able to near-instantly travel to their aid through the use of the Alliance system. And don't get me wrong, there may be an option to show allied cities on the map for flavor, but by no means should we expect to see every player's holdings visibly represented.

All in all, I don't think you have to worry about the whole "random placement" thing. You won't be literally sharing borders with random people you don't know in a big grid-like puzzle of different city-states--you'll have a city in an instanced map in your starting region, same as everyone else (including your guildmates).
I see your point in the running out of space, it would be cool however if 1 territory represented an entire faction or alliance or guild. And your military forces originated from this unconquerable territory. From there armies could progress out into conquerable territories that would infer bonuses to kingdoms or units or resources. Factions could than invest resources in building up AI defenses (if no one is online to field an army in defense of a sieged territory). The territories couldnt be owned by a single individual but rather by factions and could swap hands depending on who could reinforce or siege the most.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custos View Post
I see your point in the running out of space, it would be cool however if 1 territory represented an entire faction or alliance or guild. And your military forces originated from this unconquerable territory. From there armies could progress out into conquerable territories that would infer bonuses to kingdoms or units or resources. Factions could than invest resources in building up AI defenses (if no one is online to field an army in defense of a sieged territory). The territories couldnt be owned by a single individual but rather by factions and could swap hands depending on who could reinforce or siege the most.
That's a really nice idea, and a game like DoF could probably pull that off in a representational way similar to how they handle the world map currently. Granted, you would need a bit more space than the World Map currently appears to have, but a nice thought nonetheless. Maybe they'll add a more varied territorial schema in DoF 2 .
Old 02-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

swedishviking has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custos View Post
That would encourage faction allegiances, but not necessarily encourage people to branch out of the unconquerable zone until they feel comfortable....It is not a bad idea, but how fast do you want people to conquer other regions 1) when the faction annoys them to death to move out or 2) conquer by necessity (i.e. access to limited resources forces them to branch out ASAP)...

Last edited by swedishviking : 02-08-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

swedishviking has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokhir View Post
No, that is the reason i quit Lord of ultima and early Ikarium then evony along with countless forgotten mmorts's because my friend and i wanted to start an alliance together and explore the game as a group. I quit when i started to play and i found out it takes 7 hours for my freinds to send me resources.
It is also discouraging when you have to wait 6 RT days for reinforcements....there is a limit to my patience....I would hate for this be a click and forget game like EVE
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM

GrimbleMcArmon has a default reputation

hmm I think im in the same boat i hope i can build near my friends aswell..
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Dracus has a default reputation

Well as long as my friends and I pick the same region and don't have to wait 2+ hours to send resources or supporting armies I have no problem, because from evony and LOU i instantly quit when I cannot really enjoy the game with my guildies.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Ezekiel has a default reputation

Yeh it would be nice being able to build besides friends, i've got a couple of friends who are getting this game, the last thing we want is to be stuck on the other side of the region and having to wait ages to trade/support each other.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 AM

TheWeeIrish has a default reputation

I am hoping for a guild type setting, if everyone builds within the same area, you can some how link your land to everyone else. If even anything be able to see them on the map as a friend, if they are under attack or what have you. Excited to see how this plays out in retail.