Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Choosing Locations - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
TriggerHappyNDB TriggerHappyNDB is offline
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 58
TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation
Default

Dracus, I think your visual idea of the map precludes what is actually happening in the game, at least insofar as I understand it. When you think about the World Map, try not to envision everyone who plays the game as having their own little, very definite plot on the map. If this were the case, the game world would eventually run out of room completely, as there would be more player cities than there are spots available on the map to represent them. Imagine if DoF became as popular as WoW is now: There would literally be no room on the map for any new cities. All you could see would be city on top of city on top of city, because everyone had to have their own little self-contained region on the map.

When you look at the World Map, what you're likely to see is, first off, your city--represented aptly by either a little town or a big city icon, whichever is more appropriate based on your city's actual size--happily situated somewhere in the starting region that you chose when you created it. In addition to that, you would see the game's major cities, which all have definite locations to them, and likely a series of landmarks that also have definite positions. The map is not a 1-to-1 representation of the world, but rather a stylized representation of the world at large.

You will likely not see the cities of any other players. Again, this would be because showing every player's city would eventually fill up the map. Check out some of the World Map screenshots in the media forum; even the biggest region could only hold perhaps 20 or 30 player city markers before there was no way to even see the region itself. That isn't to say you can't visit other player-cities, or that they aren't there, but that they can't be represented on the map as you see it. In fact, choosing the same starting region as another player will probably mean you are always able to near-instantly travel to their aid through the use of the Alliance system. And don't get me wrong, there may be an option to show allied cities on the map for flavor, but by no means should we expect to see every player's holdings visibly represented.

All in all, I don't think you have to worry about the whole "random placement" thing. You won't be literally sharing borders with random people you don't know in a big grid-like puzzle of different city-states--you'll have a city in an instanced map in your starting region, same as everyone else (including your guildmates).
__________________
TriggerHappyNDB :: "O happy bullet! This is thy chambre... There combust, and let me die."

Last edited by TriggerHappyNDB : 02-07-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Mokhir Mokhir is offline
Human Sect:
Halberdier
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 27
Mokhir has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocixel View Post
If you don't like your starting spot, can you recreate and hope for a random spot somewhere else? Maybe somewhere closer to friends (if there is a way to tell how close you are).
No, that is the reason i quit Lord of ultima and early Ikarium then evony along with countless forgotten mmorts's because my friend and i wanted to start an alliance together and explore the game as a group. I quit when i started to play and i found out it takes 7 hours for my freinds to send me resources.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Custos Custos is offline
Human Sect:
Maceman
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
Custos has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappyNDB View Post
Dracus, I think your visual idea of the map precludes what is actually happening in the game, at least insofar as I understand it. When you think about the World Map, try not to envision everyone who plays the game as having their own little, very definite plot on the map. If this were the case, the game world would eventually run out of room completely, as there would be more player cities than there are spots available on the map to represent them. Imagine if DoF became as popular as WoW is now: There would literally be no room on the map for any new cities. All you could see would be city on top of city on top of city, because everyone had to have their own little self-contained region on the map.

When you look at the World Map, what you're likely to see is, first off, your city--represented aptly by either a little town or a big city icon, whichever is more appropriate based on your city's actual size--happily situated somewhere in the starting region that you chose when you created it. In addition to that, you would see the game's major cities, which all have definite locations to them, and likely a series of landmarks that also have definite positions. The map is not a 1-to-1 representation of the world, but rather a stylized representation of the world at large.

You will likely not see the cities of any other players. Again, this would be because showing every player's city would eventually fill up the map. Check out some of the World Map screenshots in the media forum; even the biggest region could only hold perhaps 20 or 30 player city markers before there was no way to even see the region itself. That isn't to say you can't visit other player-cities, or that they aren't there, but that they can't be represented on the map as you see it. In fact, choosing the same starting region as another player will probably mean you are always able to near-instantly travel to their aid through the use of the Alliance system. And don't get me wrong, there may be an option to show allied cities on the map for flavor, but by no means should we expect to see every player's holdings visibly represented.

All in all, I don't think you have to worry about the whole "random placement" thing. You won't be literally sharing borders with random people you don't know in a big grid-like puzzle of different city-states--you'll have a city in an instanced map in your starting region, same as everyone else (including your guildmates).
I see your point in the running out of space, it would be cool however if 1 territory represented an entire faction or alliance or guild. And your military forces originated from this unconquerable territory. From there armies could progress out into conquerable territories that would infer bonuses to kingdoms or units or resources. Factions could than invest resources in building up AI defenses (if no one is online to field an army in defense of a sieged territory). The territories couldnt be owned by a single individual but rather by factions and could swap hands depending on who could reinforce or siege the most.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 AM
TriggerHappyNDB TriggerHappyNDB is offline
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 58
TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custos View Post
I see your point in the running out of space, it would be cool however if 1 territory represented an entire faction or alliance or guild. And your military forces originated from this unconquerable territory. From there armies could progress out into conquerable territories that would infer bonuses to kingdoms or units or resources. Factions could than invest resources in building up AI defenses (if no one is online to field an army in defense of a sieged territory). The territories couldnt be owned by a single individual but rather by factions and could swap hands depending on who could reinforce or siege the most.
That's a really nice idea, and a game like DoF could probably pull that off in a representational way similar to how they handle the world map currently. Granted, you would need a bit more space than the World Map currently appears to have, but a nice thought nonetheless. Maybe they'll add a more varied territorial schema in DoF 2 .
__________________
TriggerHappyNDB :: "O happy bullet! This is thy chambre... There combust, and let me die."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-08-2011, 05:29 PM
swedishviking swedishviking is offline
Human Sect:
Maceman
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 20
swedishviking has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custos View Post
I see your point in the running out of space, it would be cool however if 1 territory represented an entire faction or alliance or guild. And your military forces originated from this unconquerable territory. From there armies could progress out into conquerable territories that would infer bonuses to kingdoms or units or resources. Factions could than invest resources in building up AI defenses (if no one is online to field an army in defense of a sieged territory). The territories couldnt be owned by a single individual but rather by factions and could swap hands depending on who could reinforce or siege the most.
That would encourage faction allegiances, but not necessarily encourage people to branch out of the unconquerable zone until they feel comfortable....It is not a bad idea, but how fast do you want people to conquer other regions 1) when the faction annoys them to death to move out or 2) conquer by necessity (i.e. access to limited resources forces them to branch out ASAP)...

Last edited by swedishviking : 02-08-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
swedishviking swedishviking is offline
Human Sect:
Maceman
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 20
swedishviking has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokhir View Post
No, that is the reason i quit Lord of ultima and early Ikarium then evony along with countless forgotten mmorts's because my friend and i wanted to start an alliance together and explore the game as a group. I quit when i started to play and i found out it takes 7 hours for my freinds to send me resources.
It is also discouraging when you have to wait 6 RT days for reinforcements....there is a limit to my patience....I would hate for this be a click and forget game like EVE
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
GrimbleMcArmon GrimbleMcArmon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
GrimbleMcArmon has a default reputation
Default

hmm I think im in the same boat i hope i can build near my friends aswell..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Dracus Dracus is offline
Elven Sect:
Ranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tijuana, Mexico
Posts: 79
Dracus has a default reputation
Default

Well as long as my friends and I pick the same region and don't have to wait 2+ hours to send resources or supporting armies I have no problem, because from evony and LOU i instantly quit when I cannot really enjoy the game with my guildies.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Ezekiel Ezekiel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 16
Ezekiel has a default reputation
Default

Yeh it would be nice being able to build besides friends, i've got a couple of friends who are getting this game, the last thing we want is to be stuck on the other side of the region and having to wait ages to trade/support each other.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 AM
TheWeeIrish TheWeeIrish is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
TheWeeIrish has a default reputation
Default

I am hoping for a guild type setting, if everyone builds within the same area, you can some how link your land to everyone else. If even anything be able to see them on the map as a friend, if they are under attack or what have you. Excited to see how this plays out in retail.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 PM.

ESRB Rated T
US/CANADA
PEGI 16
EUROPE
USK 16
GERMANY

privacy policy   |   Copyright © Reverie World Studios INC.

Kingdom Wars and Reverie World Studios are trademarks of Reverie World Studios, Inc. Developed by Reverie World Studios, inc. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.