Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Strategic Placement - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Lee7778747 has a default reputation
Default Strategic Placement

I loved playing stronghold 2 and this game seems to just build on that and sounds amazing I can wait to play it. Been a big fan of RTS my whole life. I was just bringing up some questions (who could have guessed). Does anyone know what kind of strategic placement we will be able to do before the battle begins? Are we going to be able to attack the whole castle all 360 degrees? Also if we can plan where to put our battalions, how long do we have to do that or does it all have to be done if real time? Sorry know I have been asking some in-depth question but this game has got my brain going and I can't wait to really get in there and see it in action!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 PM

VanguardX has a default reputation

Good question. I am curious too about how troops are actually deployed for battle. Personally I would prefer it as a pre-fight / non real time phase when players could set up units on the battlefield, over a real time deployment. But it should be fine either way.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

darklegends8 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanguardX View Post
Good question. I am curious too about how troops are actually deployed for battle. Personally I would prefer it as a pre-fight / non real time phase when players could set up units on the battlefield, over a real time deployment. But it should be fine either way.
That'd be unrealistic though, but I'd be okay with a placement time if it was very short.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Dracus has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee7778747 View Post
I loved playing stronghold 2 and this game seems to just build on that and sounds amazing I can wait to play it. Been a big fan of RTS my whole life. I was just bringing up some questions (who could have guessed). Does anyone know what kind of strategic placement we will be able to do before the battle begins? Are we going to be able to attack the whole castle all 360 degrees? Also if we can plan where to put our battalions, how long do we have to do that or does it all have to be done if real time? Sorry know I have been asking some in-depth question but this game has got my brain going and I can't wait to really get in there and see it in action!
From responses I have read from devs or mods in different threads I can tell you that they hint towards a time before battle to deploy your army so it would not be real time. As for attacking the castle yes you can breech the walls or use siege engines to not only go through the gates.
Soooo yes get excited this game has the chance to blow your minds. O_O
Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 AM

mrsnow327 has a default reputation

you should be able to place your units before the start of a battle
Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 AM

BloodOfDeath has a default reputation

I would enjoy real time deployment of units
Old 02-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Lord Shadow has a default reputation

I whole heartly support real time deployment. They could however allow players to prestage units before they even begin a battle. ie: When you building your city can designate where you would want your units to initally start for a battle. Same for armies attacking, allow them to arrange how they will initally appear on the battle field before even setting off for an attack.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Tolbby has a default reputation

Strategic placement? From all that I've seen, this is all I know.

The entire enemy stronghold is rendered when attacking. If you can micromanage, you could technically attack from all sides of their castle.

Terrain and weather supposedly take part in the game. If a cliff is blocking the path, it could either be a natural defence, or a horrible weakness due to high ground advantage.

Not a note, but I'm actually not 100% sure about terrain advantage yet. I sure would love if factors such as cover, high ground, etc. were included in the game. Would make it more interesting. Great for hardcore RTS gamers such as myself.

But I definitely know yes, strategic placement should make an important role in this game.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Lee7778747 has a default reputation

I could really see it going both ways. It could be real time deployment with you starting out being out of range of the opposing player. I could also see them giving you about 2-5 minutes to get your army in the right configuration after looking at the opponents castle. I don't know but it will play a huge role in the combat of the game.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Lord Shadow has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee7778747 View Post
I could really see it going both ways. It could be real time deployment with you starting out being out of range of the opposing player. I could also see them giving you about 2-5 minutes to get your army in the right configuration after looking at the opponents castle. I don't know but it will play a huge role in the combat of the game.
Agreed.. though I'm still leaning towards RT..