Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Random Screenshot - Page 4 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Feweh has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
I think it might be prudent to look into providing some limitations for siege weapons on boats (like perhaps it can only fire when the boat is not moving).

Because a siege equipped boat can move while firing, it gives it a distinct advantage in a situation regarding a coastal exchange of firepower. The land-based catapult is essentially stationary, while the sea-based one is moving freely. Essentially the only counter is to come out and attack either with an archer-equipped boat or a boarding party.

The problem I see here is the woefully common instance where a player has had his navy wiped out and needs to re-establish it. However, if "bombard" type boats are too strong he cannot get close enough to the water for any prolonged period of time to build that navy, and is essentially pinned down. Typically, as a result, land-based siege is always made to be a counter to sea-based siege. This means that in any long-range shootout, the land-based player is at an advantage, forcing the sea-based player to make a landing to prevent him from rebuilding his navy.

I do not feel that would work out if sea-based siege units have the same firepower as land-based units, but also have the advantage of mobility. Some form of limitation is necessary here, I believe. However, so long as the above problem is dealt with in some manner, I'm happy.

I totally agree, i don't want the NAVY ships coming with about 20 trebuchet ships and just pounding my city, they need to be accurate abit and less fast i suppose.?

But you make a strong strong point here.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

An easy solution may be to assert that a ship must be stationary for a certain amount of time before and after firing a siege-type weapon. The amount of time could vary based on the weapon. This would still give siege-equipped boats a VERY potent harass potential (come in, get out a few shots, then get the hell out of there) but it would keep them from having too strong of an impact in a direct assault.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
An easy solution may be to assert that a ship must be stationary for a certain amount of time before and after firing a siege-type weapon. The amount of time could vary based on the weapon. This would still give siege-equipped boats a VERY potent harass potential (come in, get out a few shots, then get the hell out of there) but it would keep them from having too strong of an impact in a direct assault.
Maybe it could be like in AoE2 where they had to unpack/setup the catapults so that they can attack. You could try to implement this in the siege navy.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I'm sure the trebuchets would in any case be too big for an average agile ship, so any ships with a mounted trebuchet either would be slow, cumbersome and heavy or non-existant at all. Trebuchets were large siege machines that couldn't budge unless packed up, and so if there are ships with trebuchets on they would be fixed but on some sort of swivel.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Actually, most trebuchets were so large they couldn't be packed up at all. They were built on sight and abandoned afterwards.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

or used wagons to transport...
Old 04-19-2008, 03:28 PM

LordSlayer has a default reputation

Quote:
Actually, most trebuchets were so large they couldn't be packed up at all. They were built on sight and abandoned afterwards.
Wouldn't that be stupid if your siege failed and you had to fall back?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I'd actually think it'd be cool because it offers a twist to the attacker's plans.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

If it failed I doubt salvaging the wood would be the least of their worries...
Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM

LordSlayer has a default reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
If it failed I doubt salvaging the wood would be the least of their worries...
Yes but the winners would now have all of your siege weapons plus theirs for a counter offensive.