Instances - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Elven Sect:
Grand Master

Gongora has good reputation
Default Instances

We know there is many different surface environments we can explore, I wish to ask however will there be caves, temples, magical realms of some sort?

It would be interesting to find hidden secret areas in the game different from the battlefields!
Another side question to that, will there be special creature NPC units apart from player controlled stuff that you can find and kill...Like a giant snake, sea creature, spider you get my idea... that would be awesome too!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that much of the Dwarven Realm that you can quest and fight in is underground in a series of tunnels. That's a start to your answer, at least .
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM

kingtop has a default reputation

That sounds really cool and probably alot of different stra could be made with all these different types of envirments.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM

emotionalone has a default reputation

I've seen the videos, but I'm not sure how actual gameplay might be like, any idea or videos? on how do you gain exp, levels, etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Quote:
We know there is many different surface environments we can explore, I wish to ask however will there be caves, temples, magical realms of some sort?

It would be interesting to find hidden secret areas in the game different from the battlefields!
Another side question to that, will there be special creature NPC units apart from player controlled stuff that you can find and kill...Like a giant snake, sea creature, spider you get my idea... that would be awesome too!
Players will be able to explore any of the ~25 NPC towns, homeland regions, quest regions, the Dwarven caves, and the Dragon Realm. Through DLC packs, the player will also be able to explore new regions occupied by unannounced races and island settlements.

As for magical realms, the DOF lore suggests a magical realm that co-exists with the physical realm but cannot be traveled to by mortals. You're learn more about magic as you play the campaign. And while not temples specifically, certain towns hold a lot of spiritual value - such as the elven town of Gelmeerim built upon a sacred lake. NPC towns can be explored and players may find fun areas like healing ruins or grottoes, secret mountain passages, and camps outside of the town's walls. Each town has a unique history which will offer a lot for explorers - for example, the orcs have a town inhabited only be free goblins, the elves have a town of corrupt sorcerers, and the men have an ancient town destroyed by an earthquake and only recently rebuilt as a shelter in the chaos of the War Without Kings. We also hope to hold town-design contests where we will incorporate some fan-created content into the actual game.

Special NPC units include a variety of Dragon and Dwarven units. More unique units will be added with DLC.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walz View Post
We also hope to hold town-design contests where we will incorporate some fan-created content into the actual game.
Will submissions to these contests be expected to be in the form of user-created campaigns or regions using the Editing program bundled with the game? Or are you looking for more freeform stuff, such as concept art and written scripting?

Just curious. Developers that take advantage of the leverage their community can provide always impress me and I'd love to know your planned (or partially-planned) methods!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

I'm speaking off the charts here, but we will probably be looking for town or environment designs with little to no scripting. The reason for this is that we have a very powerful editor, which, when used by untrained hands, can result in unplanned mechanisms hard to spot or remove. We need to have total control of what we put in the game and can't risk a bugged map with something like a unit hovered underground that will mess with the player's army. This may sound unlikely but we actually ran into this exact problem with the brakental homelands.

Therefore - player towns will be explorable, and likely offer some NPC services, but will not be able to be attacked.

We may have more intricate scenario design competitions, but the winning entries will not be added to the MMO world.

As for concept art and plot development, I'd say probably not - for legal and financial reasons. We can patch in new player-built towns with little work from Reverie. But for something that would require significant developer work, we would need to charge a small fee and it wouldn't be right to profit off of our fans. With that said, the game is very moddable so concepts can be added into the single-player game and plots can be made into playable scenarios outside of the Online Kingdom mode.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Desthin has a default reputation

Quote:
We also hope to hold town-design contests where we will incorporate some fan-created content into the actual game.
Oh this sounds promising! and definitely fun.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:15 PM

darkviju has a default reputation

The lore sound really great for this type of game. Hope the game will be translated to other languages, or use a not very hard to understand english, in order to understand everything better.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Quote:
I'm speaking off the charts here, but we will probably be looking for town or environment designs with little to no scripting. The reason for this is that we have a very powerful editor, which, when used by untrained hands, can result in unplanned mechanisms hard to spot or remove. We need to have total control of what we put in the game and can't risk a bugged map with something like a unit hovered underground that will mess with the player's army. This may sound unlikely but we actually ran into this exact problem with the brakental homelands.

Therefore - player towns will be explorable, and likely offer some NPC services, but will not be able to be attacked.

We may have more intricate scenario design competitions, but the winning entries will not be added to the MMO world.

As for concept art and plot development, I'd say probably not - for legal and financial reasons. We can patch in new player-built towns with little work from Reverie. But for something that would require significant developer work, we would need to charge a small fee and it wouldn't be right to profit off of our fans. With that said, the game is very moddable so concepts can be added into the single-player game and plots can be made into playable scenarios outside of the Online Kingdom mode.
Thanks for the response, Alex. I definitely understand the legal ramifications to using player-made content, but I've heard of some developers weaving a release waiver into some of their contests to counter such mechanisms. Maybe the fact that I can't name said developers is a telltale sign of how well that's worked.

Either way, I'm excited to see what the playerbase can concoct for you. I'm usually not creative enough for that sort of thing, but I'm sure you'll get some fantastic submissions and be surprised by what your community can do.