Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Instances - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Gongora Gongora is offline
Elven Sect:
Grand Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 263
Gongora has good reputation
Default Instances

We know there is many different surface environments we can explore, I wish to ask however will there be caves, temples, magical realms of some sort?

It would be interesting to find hidden secret areas in the game different from the battlefields!
Another side question to that, will there be special creature NPC units apart from player controlled stuff that you can find and kill...Like a giant snake, sea creature, spider you get my idea... that would be awesome too!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 PM
TriggerHappyNDB TriggerHappyNDB is offline
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 58
TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation
Default

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that much of the Dwarven Realm that you can quest and fight in is underground in a series of tunnels. That's a start to your answer, at least .
__________________
TriggerHappyNDB :: "O happy bullet! This is thy chambre... There combust, and let me die."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
kingtop kingtop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
kingtop has a default reputation
Default

That sounds really cool and probably alot of different stra could be made with all these different types of envirments.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM
emotionalone emotionalone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
emotionalone has a default reputation
Default

I've seen the videos, but I'm not sure how actual gameplay might be like, any idea or videos? on how do you gain exp, levels, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Alex Walz's Avatar
Alex Walz Alex Walz is offline
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,254
Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation
Default

Quote:
We know there is many different surface environments we can explore, I wish to ask however will there be caves, temples, magical realms of some sort?

It would be interesting to find hidden secret areas in the game different from the battlefields!
Another side question to that, will there be special creature NPC units apart from player controlled stuff that you can find and kill...Like a giant snake, sea creature, spider you get my idea... that would be awesome too!
Players will be able to explore any of the ~25 NPC towns, homeland regions, quest regions, the Dwarven caves, and the Dragon Realm. Through DLC packs, the player will also be able to explore new regions occupied by unannounced races and island settlements.

As for magical realms, the DOF lore suggests a magical realm that co-exists with the physical realm but cannot be traveled to by mortals. You're learn more about magic as you play the campaign. And while not temples specifically, certain towns hold a lot of spiritual value - such as the elven town of Gelmeerim built upon a sacred lake. NPC towns can be explored and players may find fun areas like healing ruins or grottoes, secret mountain passages, and camps outside of the town's walls. Each town has a unique history which will offer a lot for explorers - for example, the orcs have a town inhabited only be free goblins, the elves have a town of corrupt sorcerers, and the men have an ancient town destroyed by an earthquake and only recently rebuilt as a shelter in the chaos of the War Without Kings. We also hope to hold town-design contests where we will incorporate some fan-created content into the actual game.

Special NPC units include a variety of Dragon and Dwarven units. More unique units will be added with DLC.
__________________
Alex Walz | Former Assistant Producer & Publicist of Reverie World Studios, INC.
Follow us on Twitter! Fan us on Facebook!
"The sky grows lighter my friends. The break of day should cheer the heart. But for us, sunrise brings only bloody war. Make thou ready. Defend my people well." - Prince Erian IV, Dawn of Fantasy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM
TriggerHappyNDB TriggerHappyNDB is offline
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 58
TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walz View Post
We also hope to hold town-design contests where we will incorporate some fan-created content into the actual game.
Will submissions to these contests be expected to be in the form of user-created campaigns or regions using the Editing program bundled with the game? Or are you looking for more freeform stuff, such as concept art and written scripting?

Just curious. Developers that take advantage of the leverage their community can provide always impress me and I'd love to know your planned (or partially-planned) methods!
__________________
TriggerHappyNDB :: "O happy bullet! This is thy chambre... There combust, and let me die."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Alex Walz's Avatar
Alex Walz Alex Walz is offline
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,254
Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation
Default

I'm speaking off the charts here, but we will probably be looking for town or environment designs with little to no scripting. The reason for this is that we have a very powerful editor, which, when used by untrained hands, can result in unplanned mechanisms hard to spot or remove. We need to have total control of what we put in the game and can't risk a bugged map with something like a unit hovered underground that will mess with the player's army. This may sound unlikely but we actually ran into this exact problem with the brakental homelands.

Therefore - player towns will be explorable, and likely offer some NPC services, but will not be able to be attacked.

We may have more intricate scenario design competitions, but the winning entries will not be added to the MMO world.


As for concept art and plot development, I'd say probably not - for legal and financial reasons. We can patch in new player-built towns with little work from Reverie. But for something that would require significant developer work, we would need to charge a small fee and it wouldn't be right to profit off of our fans. With that said, the game is very moddable so concepts can be added into the single-player game and plots can be made into playable scenarios outside of the Online Kingdom mode.
__________________
Alex Walz | Former Assistant Producer & Publicist of Reverie World Studios, INC.
Follow us on Twitter! Fan us on Facebook!
"The sky grows lighter my friends. The break of day should cheer the heart. But for us, sunrise brings only bloody war. Make thou ready. Defend my people well." - Prince Erian IV, Dawn of Fantasy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Desthin Desthin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 17
Desthin has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walz View Post
We also hope to hold town-design contests where we will incorporate some fan-created content into the actual game.
Oh this sounds promising! and definitely fun.
__________________
"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:15 PM
darkviju darkviju is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
darkviju has a default reputation
Default

The lore sound really great for this type of game. Hope the game will be translated to other languages, or use a not very hard to understand english, in order to understand everything better.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
TriggerHappyNDB TriggerHappyNDB is offline
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 58
TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walz View Post
I'm speaking off the charts here, but we will probably be looking for town or environment designs with little to no scripting. The reason for this is that we have a very powerful editor, which, when used by untrained hands, can result in unplanned mechanisms hard to spot or remove. We need to have total control of what we put in the game and can't risk a bugged map with something like a unit hovered underground that will mess with the player's army. This may sound unlikely but we actually ran into this exact problem with the brakental homelands.

Therefore - player towns will be explorable, and likely offer some NPC services, but will not be able to be attacked.

We may have more intricate scenario design competitions, but the winning entries will not be added to the MMO world.


As for concept art and plot development, I'd say probably not - for legal and financial reasons. We can patch in new player-built towns with little work from Reverie. But for something that would require significant developer work, we would need to charge a small fee and it wouldn't be right to profit off of our fans. With that said, the game is very moddable so concepts can be added into the single-player game and plots can be made into playable scenarios outside of the Online Kingdom mode.
Thanks for the response, Alex. I definitely understand the legal ramifications to using player-made content, but I've heard of some developers weaving a release waiver into some of their contests to counter such mechanisms. Maybe the fact that I can't name said developers is a telltale sign of how well that's worked.

Either way, I'm excited to see what the playerbase can concoct for you. I'm usually not creative enough for that sort of thing, but I'm sure you'll get some fantastic submissions and be surprised by what your community can do.
__________________
TriggerHappyNDB :: "O happy bullet! This is thy chambre... There combust, and let me die."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 PM.

ESRB Rated T
US/CANADA
PEGI 16
EUROPE
USK 16
GERMANY

privacy policy   |   Copyright © Reverie World Studios INC.

Dawn of Fantasy and Reverie World Studios are trademarks of Reverie World Studios, Inc. Developed by Reverie World Studios, inc. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.