Beta Tester Requirements? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

Rhino has a default reputation
Default Beta Tester Requirements?

Hey just wondering what the people who select the beta testers are looking for as I would really really like to become one of them Also are there any requirements (not hardware or software).

Rhino
Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

Putkonen has a default reputation

People who test the game, instead of just playing for fun and leaving it be, I think thats it simply said. People who contribute and stay active during beta testings are always appreciated, atleast thats what I found out in the testing of Age of empires online.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putkonen View Post
People who test the game, instead of just playing for fun and leaving it be, I think thats it simply said. People who contribute and stay active during beta testings are always appreciated, atleast thats what I found out in the testing of Age of empires online.
So what your saying is that if I got into the beta, it would be my duty to give feed back to the programmers, developers etc?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
So what your saying is that if I got into the beta, it would be my duty to give feed back to the programmers, developers etc?
Of course it is. We like feedback, its what we live off of.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Gamerfett has a default reputation

Yeah I am pretty sure they want feedback and bugs.

Remember if you do get in and do find a bug when you report it make sure you include steps on how to reproduce the bug.

The best way of doing this is to explain the steps like the person is a total idiot that has never played the game before. It may sound stupid but it really does help. As testers sometimes you play the game more and understand things better then the dev team.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerfett View Post
Yeah I am pretty sure they want feedback and bugs.

Remember if you do get in and do find a bug when you report it make sure you include steps on how to reproduce the bug.

The best way of doing this is to explain the steps like the person is a total idiot that has never played the game before. It may sound stupid but it really does help. As testers sometimes you play the game more and understand things better then the dev team.
First of all thanks henry and if I do get in I will give my feed back....god i hope i get in. ;(

Secondly thats some real helpful info gamerfett, I will keep it in mind. It would be kind of funny i guess speaking to the people who made it as if they have never heard of the game. Wouldn't really wanna **** them off D; But I woill try that if I get in and find bugs
Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

As a programmer myself I can vouch for Fett's suggestion of giving the steps that led to the problem, even if you don't think they're connected to the problem itself. Y'see, the funny thing about programs (a large, interconnected series of which make up the game you're playing) is that they always do exactly what you tell them. The unfortunate part is, we don't always tell them the right thing to do.

Thus, we unknowingly tell them the wrong thing, they happily churn out the wrong result, and we're left with a broken program that wags its tail for making a mess on the dining room rug.

All that to say: Beta testing is an integral part of game development. It isn't just a showcase for eager gamers (a nice bonus, though), it's primarily a method for getting a broad range of minds and experiences to help work out the program kinks the programmers may not have noticed were there. By all means, play and have fun, but when you see something weird, report it! Everyone benefits because you helped make the game's release candidate that much better--the devs can fix it before they lose face for shipping it out with the game, and your shiny release-day copy won't have that glitch marring your experience!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

Thankyou for all of that information. I think I understand what is fully required of beta testers now and am hoping I can become one and live up to its duties. It would be a more rewarding experience as you are directly impacting the quality of the game.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM

luizeba has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
That's the idea around Beta Testing.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM

jer.bush has a default reputation

very well explained, im in school for Game Design and we constantly beta test ours and other games and its very important to the game development.and just to recap and add to that post... when beta testing your looking for programming glitches, seams in textures or missing textures, making sure models all look right and animation is smooth and not choppy, and making sure the game play is fun. When I play test a game I play it to break it, try and find the flaws in the game, can you walk through a wall, fall out of the world, what ever the problem its the testers job to find it. Another important tip is if you do find an issue like that try to repeat it multiple times so you can know for sure and gather more information about the issue. Then when explaining the problems try and make it as detailed as possible, where it was at, what you were doing... anything and everything every little bit helps, just try and keep it simple enough so you don't confuse them and they fix the wrong thing. and that's basically beta testing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappyNDB View Post
As a programmer myself I can vouch for Fett's suggestion of giving the steps that led to the problem, even if you don't think they're connected to the problem itself. Y'see, the funny thing about programs (a large, interconnected series of which make up the game you're playing) is that they always do exactly what you tell them. The unfortunate part is, we don't always tell them the right thing to do.

Thus, we unknowingly tell them the wrong thing, they happily churn out the wrong result, and we're left with a broken program that wags its tail for making a mess on the dining room rug.

All that to say: Beta testing is an integral part of game development. It isn't just a showcase for eager gamers (a nice bonus, though), it's primarily a method for getting a broad range of minds and experiences to help work out the program kinks the programmers may not have noticed were there. By all means, play and have fun, but when you see something weird, report it! Everyone benefits because you helped make the game's release candidate that much better--the devs can fix it before they lose face for shipping it out with the game, and your shiny release-day copy won't have that glitch marring your experience!