Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Tatical map (Question/Suggestion) - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Paffp has fair reputation
Question Tatical map (Question/Suggestion)

if there is alot of players going to be playing the game, eventually the map going to run out of space, There will be towns and citys sprining up next to massive castles who all belong to players, is there going to be some sort of boundary to where you can build citys / towns, or even fortresses? Then if this happens the players with the larger castles will most likely take control of the newer players.

Im asking this becuse I did not read about this or see any topic on this, if this game is anything like SH2 I should not have to worry, Also im wondering if there will be a protection on newer players

PS. Look at post 8, Just thought Id also ask about this

Last edited by Paffp : 01-21-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Dreadnought has a default reputation

I dont know the answer to this, but I would have thought they will have lots of servers so when you start you will be assigned to or choose a server (world). There must be a practical limit to the number of players on a world also different servers for different languages presumably.

This s how WoW and such do it so I assume it will work in a similar manner, then when one server is full there is plenty of space on others.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Just thought I might bring it up.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

That's a good question and honestly I was wondering the same. Assuming the gameworld is persistent in that player cities populate the world map and can be see by others, will the map not eventually fill up? Are players given any options as to where exactly they are located when they start?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

The world map is instanced; each player sees himself, his armies, and NPC cities/armies; he cannot see other player's cities and armies (except perhaps friends and guildmates).

You interact with other players through various types of PvP battles, chat, guilds, friendships, alliances, and other ways. The world map would be much too cluttered if everyone could be seen, though.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:05 AM

Fenix has a default reputation
Wink

Yes thanks, because I have the same dude xD
Old 01-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Lightbulb

Hmm, in these pvp battles would you get like one or two platoon of npc's to control of your choice? To live up to some of the rts expations? or will it be like a game on warcraft, What is it called... I think its dota?.. or is that you go around collecting resourses ectera for your troops to keep its moral up, Ooh theres an idea, Moral. Say I was looking at the other posts, what if the armys food starts to run short (supply lines) becuse they were cut off, then some of your troops will flee in battle or leave over night, or there might be a mutiny, and could become robbers or bandits. Its realistic in some sence. it would be more difficult for mutiny but it would keep the players need to keep the men happy, and it would be more realistic in that sence.

Last edited by Paffp : 01-21-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Joslin View Post
The world map is instanced; each player sees himself, his armies, and NPC cities/armies; he cannot see other player's cities and armies (except perhaps friends and guildmates).

You interact with other players through various types of PvP battles, chat, guilds, friendships, alliances, and other ways. The world map would be much too cluttered if everyone could be seen, though.
Ah, I think I understand, and of course you're right that with everyone represented on the same map, it would be too cluttered to even use.

I'll take a stab at understanding here: So essentially everyone sees the same world map, which is in turn tailored to their own knowledge of the game world. That is, where they see <TheirCity>, you may see <YourCity> (assuming you were the same race and built them in the same region). This wouldn't be to say that your city exists and theirs doesn't--merely that you both have cities in that same region, which is much larger than simply the instanced area your city by itself inhabits. Does that sound about right?

You'll have to forgive my utter ignorance... I'm trying hard to get a grasp of visual concepts, but sometimes it gets difficult, especially as a huge fan of traditional RTS games in which the MMO meta-concept is a little difficult to fathom. Either way, thanks for your response, Andy.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:35 PM

GoGoCactusMan! is just above average reputation

From what I've gathered so far, everything is instanced as said above. However, I might see x players city somewhere on the map and I can go park my army by them t gear up for a siege. That player will be sharing my instance at that time. Also, a different x player could potentially see my army, and may swoop in and attack it before I move in on the person I am gunning for at the moment.

Basically, its like everything is layered over top of each other, and what you see is based upon a grouping of where you stand power wise, location wise, and what not.

If that is the case, my only question starts to be what happens if someone conquers the entire, knowable world? Or perhaps its balanced in a way that makes it nearly impossible to do so.