Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Purchasing Diffrential advantage? - Page 4 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

I'm kind of at a loss here.

From what we've been told, there is absolutely no indication that Influence points will in any way be able to purchase an advantage over another player.

It does not cost Influence to create more powerful units.
It does not cost Influence to research new technologies for your race.
It does not cost Influence to gather the resources which you use for the above purposes.
It does not cost Influence to advance your hero in the story.

Why, exactly, are we debating the merits of having a "potentially game-breaking" Influence points system when there are no ways in which Influence points can break the game? All we're aware of them actually doing is functioning as a form of rebate-reward system. You play the game, earn influence points, and--if you have played enough--there is a chance you can purchase a pack of downloadable (read: completely optional) content without having to pay any real money. If you haven't earned enough Influence, you can simply spend actual dollars to purchase the remaining Influence needed to buy that DLC.

Influence points are simply a pool of in-game, fictional currency units that Reverie designed as a way to reward players who play often and experience the entire scope of the game. They do not offer any advantage to those players except potential monetary savings on content that offers no advantage to one player over another.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 AM

Energy has a default reputation

Agreed. But how is the company going to make money?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Agreed. But how is the company going to make money?
The same way may developers do through the Xbox LIVE marketplace, to give a somewhat suitable comparison.

Xbox game designers develop a game and sell it at retail for around $60. The revenue from this usually goes to supporting a new project by that same development team, like a sequel to that game or an entirely new franchise. With the advent of console-based internet connections, many of those developers now put out DLC (downloadable content) packs that you can purchase for a nominal fee. These too, go towards development of their next games, but there are often only a small handful of them and they rarely have more than a few hours of content.

Reverie will likely have a similar model. They will sell DoF at retail and, instead of charging a monthly fee like some MMOs have, offer DLC packs that are both more frequent and more content-packed for purchase to their customers. The revenue from these DLC packs will go towards their next project (likely an expansion) and to continuing design of their next DLC.

In this example, you would liken Influence points to Microsoft Points (MSP) on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace: You have to convert real money into MSP and use MSP to buy the DLC. The difference here is that DoF will actually award Influence (read: free DLC discounts) to avid players--a practice Microsoft hasn't really done outside of contests.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM

Loose Morals has a default reputation
Default another way

another way some people get round this is by having all the micro transactions going toward things that are not significantly game changing. mainly cosmetic items like thay have in Guild wars.
they do sell other things for lazy people but nothing that you can get in game through work or get an item that is similar but not got that elite status of the bought item. i see the game has naval battles. you could "buy" a special ship like in empire total war dlc. yes its nice to have but a player who does not have it is not significantly dissadvantaged.

there are all sorts of ways you can get plenty revenue from micro transactions without making it pay to win. ive seen other mmos go to heavy on the pay to win scenario. sure they get alot of money from the big spenders to start with but then the low/middle spenders get bored and quit. then the big spenders run out of people to play with and they too quit. balance has to be maintained
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoboGod View Post
Well, if you're going to implement buying expansion packs with in-game money, is it all going to be one currency so that people who have been long time players receive good amounts of in-game money just by playing and are able to further expand their game? Because I was mad when I couldn't go farther than level 18 in LOTRO without paying for the next area.
Again hard to compare this to a RPG. But yes, the goal is to allow everyone to eventually upgrade with wealth/influance (pretty sure the name is now wealth, influence was the old name) to new content and even expansion packs.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 AM

_Caranthir has a default reputation

I like microtransactions more than monthly fee for the RTS style of the game.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

NobleIre has good reputation

I agree with the transactions. Some people go completely nuts when they read 'microtransactions' without bothering to consider what those may or may not be used for. I actually think that microtransactions can be a good thing, depending on how they are used. Certainly, they should not provide any serious advanced in-game. However, I even wouldn't mind if they gave someone a tiny advantage in some way.

But particularly, when they are offered for other, non strategic, aspects of the game - then they are absolutely fine. Even more so if you can earn them in-game.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM

boondock5aint has a default reputation

It should work well so long as the income of influance you can get from playing the game is high enough,

basically so long as you would call yourself a well above casual but not a hardcore player finding yourself only spending around the same or even slightly less than a subscription based model i wont complain.

Casual players wont be as competitive and will probably settle for a similar cost or just go with the flow, while the hardcore will be able to manage for almost free or even free.

That balance is key to making a model like this work. But the balance has to be nailed.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Conceive has a default reputation

I think what people are mainly worried about is where does it end?

Let me tell you a story about a MMO I played a while ago, that was phenomenal (in my eyes) and had a lot of potential. They introduced a "market" where you can buy fun items to make you temporarily bigger, colors going all willy nilly and stuff like that and people payed a low price for it which was fun and did not affect game play what so ever. But, the GM's saw that they were having a nice income and became hungry for more, so they started selling items that helped you upgrade items easier with out them breaking, they started selling armor, gold, potions ANYTHING that yielded them a monetary value which made the game weaker because of people buying gear (which by the way does not equate to skill) it tipped the scales and eventually ruined the game. It was then sold to another company and made somewhat playable but to people with money being at the top consistently.

I hope that the this game will do things differently, keeping it cosmetic and not ruining the game for others who have less funds.

The way it was explained "influence" can be earned in game as a 5th recourse which has no real effect on game play if purchased I think del may have jumped the gun a little bit and should have done a little more research into the topic. But I appreciate his standpoint and fears.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 AM

Thaiden has a default reputation

Although I do think F2P is very awesome, even 10$ a month from every player can make a good game into a great one if the devs know they have money coming in at a constant rate. I'm all in for the F2P model, I just don't want to see IP destroy the progression element of the game and if ANYTHING provde a 'very' small bonus to make it easier for the player. *crosses fingers*