Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

When offline - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Dreadnought has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoCactusMan! View Post
An idea I've always had for something like this is to have a system where if someone enters my territory, I get an e-mail or a text about it, so I can get back home and try to set up some sort of counter offensive before they get to do any real damage.

It would be nice to have some sort of hardcore option where in this would be the case. Your lands are up for taking if you are away, and whatever automated defenses you have (defending armies and NPC's) kick on to take up whatever defensive options you've left them until you return.

Perhaps, when you log back in, your hero avatar could help swing the battle back to your favor as you take full control over your defending armies?

Thats a dream. Getting a text/e-mail while out picking up groceries, rushing home to defend my land. That would be intense.
That may well work but if your away for a longer period it could spoil your enjoyment of the game, like konrad said you dont need the stress of the game adding to uyour real world life. Plus I work away from home so it would be impossible for me. Also dont forget people live in different time zones so unless they are going to split the servers then I may never see you in the game.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 AM

Fenix has a default reputation

This is a great questins, y wait how the creator do this can doing
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 AM

JurassicPork has a default reputation

I think if its a truly persistent world some element of being attacked whilst offline needs to be there. Being able to log off to prevent being sacked by an incoming army would ruin things but I think you have to maintain some sense of vulnerability when you are not online. Maybe limiting the number of times you can be attacked whilst offline would help? I would feel comfortable setting up strong defences and having a large garrison of troops before I log off and there would be a sense of pride if my automated defenders could hold off a human opponent once or twice.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

There are not waves of attackers, per se. Armies move around on the world map, and cannot initiate an attack unless, 1 - they are at the location, and 2 - the people they are attacking are not already in a battle. Thus, if you pay someone off, you can go right offline, since there is virtually no chance of another army being right there. I "believe" that there is a timer too, so that one player cannot repeatedly attack and drain you.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM

GoGoCactusMan! is just above average reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
That may well work but if your away for a longer period it could spoil your enjoyment of the game, like konrad said you dont need the stress of the game adding to uyour real world life. Plus I work away from home so it would be impossible for me. Also dont forget people live in different time zones so unless they are going to split the servers then I may never see you in the game.

I agree with the time zones and stress factor, but I'm still longing for a more interesting system when I'm offline rather than the no ones home scenario. I'm sure through play testing, more of this will get hammered out before release.

--

Dreaming some more though, I would still love to have this as an option. Maybe even as a server of its own that people could choose to play on, like a hardcore mode. If you cant get back home to do a full scale counter attack, maybe you could log into the website and use some very basic kingdom management tool to recall an army to join the fight if they are within a reasonable distance of where you are being attacked. Or perhaps use this website basic management tool that I suggest to at least fortify your men in a way that would make the attacker at a severe disadvantage, even if he were fighting a AI controlled kingdom at the moment.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 PM

atsumok has a default reputation

If u can get attacked offline they should only be able to do so much damage to you they shouldn't be able to destroy your whole city IMO
Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 PM

hawkravengold has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMonkey View Post
There isn't really a great way to handle this. If you allow a truely persistent world...then you should be able to be attacked while logged off the game. But if those cases, how effective are your armies / cities at defending themselves? if you don't allow it then it would be simple for people to log off before a battle or something.
This is an excellent point, and I'm sure that this has come up several times in the course of development. If you log out and can't be attacked, then what's the point of it being persistent, but if you can be attacked while logged out, how will you win if you're not there?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
7th hour at work:
"Yea I beat that Dragon Slayer Quest last night, hah, I don't know what I'm going to do tonight, can't wait to play dawn of fantasy again."

Gets home and boots on his computer:
"I wonder if my second layer of stronghold walls are complete?"

Gets ingame to find his entire stronghold is destroyed, inflames, everything is dead:
" "What? Pfft Screw this game. Whats the point of doing anything if your just going to be destroyed when your not even playing. How is that fair."

Just a short story about bad game design.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 PM

SACancel has a default reputation

Sounds like this could really be a problem for people without the time to pop in or stick around to play. Either way the bugs will get ironed out with a few weeks of testing.

Last edited by SACancel : 01-30-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM

OniKenji has a default reputation

im also curious about this