Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

entvex has a default reputation
Default Piracy & PC Gaming - a good read

Hi people and Devs of Sawn of Fantasy

i've found this on stardocks webpage and i think it's a good read for every one . I'm posting this because i know the people who make this game Read the fourm and may like to read it

Lately there have been a lot of articles that have painted the PC market as being "doomed" due to piracy. Piracy is certainly a major issue that PC game developers have to deal with. But there are other issues at hand that we think are larger.
If you're interested in our take on PC game piracy, read the article below:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com...?postid=303512

So what do you guys think ?

Greetings Entvex

Last edited by entvex : 03-12-2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
Blaming piracy is easy. But it hides other underlying causes. When Sins popped up as the #1 best selling game at retail a couple weeks ago, a game that has no copy protect whatsoever, that should tell you that piracy is not the primary issue.
I've been saying that for years.

I can tell you that 90% of people who pirate software wouldn't have bought it in the first place. The only reason they're using it is because they can get it for free. If they can't pirate it, they go off and find something else that they can pirate.

Believe it or not, most gamers are honest customers. I just get ****ed off when I find restrictions and limitations placed on honest customers to stop the pirates (who, ironically, are the people most inclined to download a crack to overcome such restrictions). A few months ago I wanted to play NWN2 on my LAN with a friend, and it got angry at me because it wanted two unique CD-keys. What kind of idiot is going to pay for a second copy just to play a LAN game on occasion? Why even include the feature if you're going to do that? Ironically this punishes the paying customer, while the pirate just downloads an illegitimate second CD-key and goes ahead as if nothing was wrong.

That's what's the problem with anti-piracy measures these days. They crack down on the honest paying customer, and the real pirates don't give a damn. Even if you stop them, they aren't going to buy your product anyways.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

iceblast has a default reputation

i dont like pirate games but pirate movies ftw if they are really good quality and sound
Old 03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

It's annoying, like PunkBuster for example. I think it is meant to prevent people who have pirate and cracked copies from playing online, as their is no easy way to prevent single player. However, sometimes it will kick honest players because either their is some fault in it or it is too sensitive. Another example is the CD-Key for Battlefield: Northern Strike. For some strange reason, you have to register, then spend a month of your life nagging EA to manually register it for you. Seems like anti-Piracy gone wrong.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Elite Member

frankein_fish is someone to look uptofrankein_fish is someone to look upto

lol, i gotta tell you something. I have that game pirated at my disc
However i always buy good games like the total war series,WiC,Dawn of war (most of 'em) and Crysis so i dont think of myself as a hardcore pirate .

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain
www.rtscomunity.com
"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."
Diablo III---Starcraft II---Bloodline champions
Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Very good read. Thank you.

Luckily Dawn of Fantasy won`t be effect as much - just as the majority of MMORPG games. Only unique CD-Keys, which are registered in the customer database going to be able to play online.

And well - who knows, pirated games with both strong multiplayer and singleplayer content can actually benefit form piracy. As Darvin said - statistically a large number of "pirated" gamers would have pirated another game, or another media if the game they are looking for is not available. We can with-in reasonable doubt, hope, that some people who do pirate DoF and find that they like single-player portion of the game, will be willing to actual buy one and play online.