Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Hero's - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 PM

Avatarn11 has a default reputation
Default Hero's

I know I read a post about there being hero's and I was wondering if they were like captains of a Unit that you can get? Or are they individual hero's you attach to a unit? Or are they a unit in them selves and your able to select them individually?

I think its a great idea to have hero's that you can attach to a unit that gives that unit better stats or for example a cleric can heal the unit he is in or something along those lines. Kind of like warhammer 40000 where you can attach a hero unit to a platoon and it gives them stat increases ect.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

We've considered the idea of adding them to formations, right now it's not planned or anything though.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Orc Sect:
Impaler

Nimlot has a default reputation

Can you have several heroes per army?

how do you get heroes?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Jack has a default reputation

that is just the problem
they are not shere if there even will be heros in the game
they have concidered it but didnt worked it out
it is just an idea
Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM

rtejada has a default reputation

i really hope there arent heroes...or the very least they arent that powerful but give a slight edge. This is mainly due to the fact that balancing them with thier usual "unique attributes" make it very difficult and sometimes just plain unfair to the average gamer.

Comparing RTS that have been big... Warcraft and Starcraft are too different due to WC being based on heroes and that was a disaster IMO. SC required much more strategy and really let players determine the battle and i really hope DoF continues in that same path.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 PM

I'm not talking about a superman that takes out entire units. But a Sgt. or Captain or something of a unit would make sense not a huge advantage some stat increases or a formation or something as a unit levels up the sgt or capt is where you would spend its points on. something like that.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Even if you don't have single hero's that's fine. You cannot compare this kind of game to starcraft those where much different units then this game not meaning because they are in the future but because they were produced a single unit at a time for the most part this is more of a unit like for example 25 men in one unit style game. So the cohesiveness of each unit is important where you would have a leader of each unit. Even in Total war series you have a general with his guard in the army if not then you have an extra unit added to one already in the army and that single unit is stronger then the rest. It would be interest and add different levels to the game without ruining it.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 PM

rtejada has a default reputation

ehh im merely comparing the more successful RTS of our time... DoF is in a world of its own and only a few RTS can be compared. Captains and generals i dont mind at all... they can definitely give another aspect to the game and spice things up as long as they arent "heroes" which are different IMO. heroes in alot of RTS and MMORTS that ive played have been.. dare i say it.. overpowered. Take saga for example if you have played it... heroes were another deathblow in that game.

The reason i mention SC is not the number of thier units or such but the way it plays the rock, paper, scissor to a point where strategy.. not heroes will determine the victor. I much prefer being beaten by a guy who outsmarted me instead of a guy who played so much that he has Hero units that can destroy entire companies by themselves etc.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 PM

I agree i should have named it Cpt's and sgt's. I don't want an all time powerful unit that power gamers and level up and kill everyone. I agree with you on that and I did play saga and I agree with you. World of Battle is close to this game in the aspect of battles i believe and I understand what you meant by mentioning SC . Minus the hackers I enjoyed being destroyed by a better player because it made me better. But just small aspects and different levels to spice up the game such as a sgt or cpt or a general that would give you a slight edge and only slight. Balance is always the most important thing to a rts game period.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Reverie World Studios QA Tester

Noel Bohac has a default reputation

Heroes are usually the iconic image of an avatar or story, nothing says you can't throw in a unit that looks unique and gives a slight advantage in one factor or another. It's only when heroes can devistate armies soly by showing up that I take a bit of a turn away from the idea. I think (if anyone ever played it) Battle For Middle Earth One, did this well, BFME2 was fun as well but alas they killed it with to much hero power and the emphases there in.

I think in something like this, you could take a unit , make him/her look unique , allow bonuses and to build up on those to represent ones self in the field. If you die, you really "don't die" in the means of being in the army (all great heroes know how to flee! ) and they could just end up back at your home base. The penalty ofcourse is being out of service, maybe factor in map movement plus a week of turns to counter your down heal time factor?

Eh I know they are not in, but anything is again possible in the future, always throw those good ideas out there I say. Never know who is watching

-Guardious

"The story you just went through in 10 min took a team of devs 100 days to make"