Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

It seems like from what im reading, the orcs are a little Underpowered. - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

-Sigma- has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing91 View Post
another zerg Orcs should be more powerful than that
Dont forget some of the best players in starcraft are Zerg. Their micro skills are amazing and it really shows just how good they can be.

Im very sure orcs are just like that, and if so they'll be a race thats feared.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

Lord_Itzalak has a default reputation

Quote:
While most of their units are weaker than those of the other races, this is made up for in the sheer size of their force. Individual orc battalions are larger and orcs typically have a greater population count - not to mention that laborers and marauders train automatically for no resources. The ogre is the most powerful non-merc unit in the game and can wipe out entire battalions of men or elves. The berserker is another really powerful orc unit that, in large numbers, can devastate an army. Their ranged units aren't quite up to par, but they're meant to be a great offensive horde, not an organized defense.

Crappy castles... not true. Granted that some features such as additional counter-siege mechanisms and larger gatehouses haven't been implemented yet for the orcs and elves, the orcs still have strong walls with spiked gates that will kill anyone they fall on.

Economy... early game, it's great. They're nomads and hunters. And when they run out of wild deer, they can build a warg farm which will automatically train free wargs that the orcs can raise as livestock. They may pick up trading later in the game but overall, they have a pretty balanced economy.
I don't know how much I'll believe this game until I see it. It sounds ridiculously realistic and not vanilla...it's why I've been so excited for it for the past year but still can't believe it when I read things about the game from the developers.

Concerning the underpoweredness of Orcs...until you see something in action, you really have no idea. I mean, even after the game is played for a week or two, you still have little idea until strategies come out and you start to learn how to play a race to be most effective. And with all of these betas, wouldn't Orc players give feedback like, this doesn't seem to work or I have a bunch of units that can't do anything. I think we shouldn't be worried until the final copy has come out and we've played for awhile. Or get into a beta and play as orcs and give constructive feedback.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM

Avatarn11 has a default reputation

I'm sure all races have the advantages and disadvantages no one is going to make an imbalanced game because people won't play those races if it isn't balanced. It all depends on your play style people like using starcraft as view point the zerg are great if you can micromanage them properly. But you get a built up protoss or terran force will chew through zerg like no other. so its all checks and balances in any strategy game. Open field the orcs might be unstoppable and run over elves and humans. get some terrian advantage to the elves or humans they could take out the orcs ect ect.. Just have to wait and see who you like more.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

-Sigma- has a default reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarn11 View Post
I'm sure all races have the advantages and disadvantages no one is going to make an imbalanced game because people won't play those races if it isn't balanced. It all depends on your play style people like using starcraft as view point the zerg are great if you can micromanage them properly. But you get a built up protoss or terran force will chew through zerg like no other. so its all checks and balances in any strategy game. Open field the orcs might be unstoppable and run over elves and humans. get some terrian advantage to the elves or humans they could take out the orcs ect ect.. Just have to wait and see who you like more.
Thats exactly right.

I think most people also are just thinking about sieging or defending a siege. There will be many battles in the a open field that will give massive advantages to those that are the victor. Lets say a Horde of orcs are marching upon an Elven Fortress. And the Elves wish to meet the orcs in open field.

The orcs might obliterate the army and march forward to a very defenseless fortress making the attacker have ease in a siege. There are many things to look into but overall the Beta will determine just how underpowered the orcs are, the devs play them a lot also, so they have a general idea of whats going on.

I really wouldn't worry to be honest.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 PM

Radman has a default reputation

Exactly and even if orc are slightly weaker defensively doesnt mean that they will always lose, you also have to take the skill of the player into account and im sure the developers are aware of all the issues and if some turn up at a later date theres nothing to say they cant change some of it in a patch.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Vind has a default reputation

In the end it all balances it self nicely.
If some unit is overpowered it will be nerfed, and if players don't use some units at all they will be made "stronger".
So there is nothing to worry about. Just play the race you feel most comfortable with.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Orc Sect:
Goblin Raider

Fangg has a default reputation

The thing Im afraid of is the economy of the Orcs. Sounds like that they are able to control the first part of the game because they are nomads and hunters. If they are able to gather some offensive tropper faster than Elfs and humans in the beginning, will a fast attack before the Elfs and human get the possibility to build defences not make the orc's a overpowered race?

It would be just like in Starcraft 2 with the zerg 6 pooling. Yes the zerg lags economy, but is able to build 4 zerglings that cant wipe out anyone, unless they are able to wall off.

Now I havent played Dawn of fantasy yet, but i hope that will change soon. I think I have to see thing with my own eyes.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 AM

Nermal has a default reputation

Allthough I agree in some of the concerns voiced here. I believe we should take it easy, first of all, this isnt a 5-25min multiplayer game like starcraft 2. This is a persistent world where your main base cant be destroyed as I understand it.
So yes Orcs may be somewhat stronger in the beginning, but not like 20% stronger overall. And thats just taking the mecanic of the game into account. Never met many players who play equally well in the same game at all time. Chances are that enviroment, luck alliances etc effects every outcome. So essentially its about hoard all the advantages you can, and utilise them to their fullest extent.
This ofcourse means, that All have to bow to my santa clad & marylin Monroe Orc look alikes soon
Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM

LoLzLobster has a default reputation
Default orcs

The race that I would want to play are the orcs. So what I'm taking away from this is that in the open field the orcs can be quite deadly (and good at besieging castles), but when defending they aren't quite as effective. Couldn't the orcs sally out of their gatehouses to attack the siegers at the base of the walls? I mean you could while defending open up a gate, send some melee units through, close the gate. And use those guys to attack ladders or siege engines, and if they survive try to get them back through the gatehouse? I would try to aggressively defend as an orc in order to negate their defensive weaknesses.

Does any of that make sense to you guys or am I just insane?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 PM

olane123 has a default reputation

the orcs i hope willl be shamanistic having low level mages controling hordes of drone orcs with enslaved ogres and minotaurs the sort of ragtag army you would expect from them having rare creatures like beholders or evil eyes as cannon fodder

hopefiully the races will be balenced with the players relying more on troop deployment

as for the econnomy and castles the orcs hopefully being orginized and ruthless will have taken better formed human or elven structures and stolen their gold or minerals depending on the looting system