Human Sect:
Maceman

onafets has a default reputation

This game is going to be awesome!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

Kyzarin has a default reputation

To actually make it work, it may take putting together an RP faction/alliance (or whatever they are in this game--I'm assuming this game has a 'guild' system) in which the purpose of the faction is to create opportunities for RP within the game. It may be a bit more challenging to RP in an MMORTS than, say, an RPG game, but it will be no less fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordShaden View Post
This isn't a straight RTS to my understanding MMORTS. So I suppose, you can RP to a certain extent..I just wouldn't expect everyone to RP back. =P
I personally wouldn't try to RP with the random person I meet. In a game like this, it would be necessary to agree ahead of time to RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangg View Post
It would be funny to Roleplay in a RTS, but i find it hard to do. Who will play the elfs a peace loving race, that just wants to be left alone. And vicious disorganised Orcs what will get killed i huge numbers, in their own ranks before a battle even starts. And the Humans, well, some greedy, some peace loving, smart and cunning. Then I think everyone would play as human, because it just seems more fun and the many ways to play as human.
Elves and Orcs have more variations within their races than you seem to believe. There can be just as many different elves as humans. For example, one elf might hate orcs like none other and do everything he can to defeat them. Another elf living nearby might think the first elf is entirely too aggressive, and that it's better to only deal with the enemies that actually pose a threat. With a little imagination, numerous possibilities exist, including ones that don't fit the standard stereotypes.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Asatru has a default reputation

To be honest, i dont know if RP will be good on a game like this, after all its a RTS.

I used to play Eve online and RP as a Amarrian, you where a pilot and could easly do this, but i am not sure how to RP a entire kingdom.

Because with Eve you where part of a RP faction you could do RP with it, but with this game you yourself are the RP faction so how do you RP from there, like Kyzarin says :

For example, one elf might hate orcs like none other and do everything he can to defeat them. Another elf living nearby might think the first elf is entirely too aggressive, and that it's better to only deal with the enemies that actually pose a threat. With a little imagination, numerous possibilities exist, including ones that don't fit the standard stereotypes.

For me that means ( translate ) everybody will have the freedom to RP how they see fit, i prefer to be atleast some guide line's for RP.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Errant has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppovitch View Post
Unfortunately, Starcraft is not the type of game that attracts many Rpers.
I find your statement amusing. Starcraft and Diablo is where I began to role play. However, it wasn't so much in the game but on Battle.net where role play occurred.

It's hard to role play in any kind of video game with text because, well, you have to do so much. Particularly in combat.

But it's not impossible and it is fun if done right. Indeed, a peer and I would often role play in the middle of Starcraft 2 games. Granted, it was to annoy the opponents and throw them off balance but still.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Errant has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatru View Post
To be honest, i dont know if RP will be good on a game like this, after all its a RTS.

I used to play Eve online and RP as a Amarrian, you where a pilot and could easly do this, but i am not sure how to RP a entire kingdom.

Because with Eve you where part of a RP faction you could do RP with it, but with this game you yourself are the RP faction so how do you RP from there, like Kyzarin says :

For example, one elf might hate orcs like none other and do everything he can to defeat them. Another elf living nearby might think the first elf is entirely too aggressive, and that it's better to only deal with the enemies that actually pose a threat. With a little imagination, numerous possibilities exist, including ones that don't fit the standard stereotypes.

For me that means ( translate ) everybody will have the freedom to RP how they see fit, i prefer to be atleast some guide line's for RP.
You don't so much as role play an entire kingdom, although you could, but as an individual in the kingdom. Normally you assume the role of the commander or king or queen, basically whoever is in charge.

However, if you so desire, you could easily pretend to be a witness. What I mean to say, either a soldier or peasant who bares witness to the events that unfold. See it all through that person's eyes.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Zeluk has a default reputation

As for the question of whether the game will officially support RP my guess is no. Don't misinterpret that though, just because they wont officially support it doesn't mean they wont allow it. My guess is they haven't given it much thought and are much more concerned about other things. Now it is interesting to see how many RP'ers are here. Tell you what when the game goes live find me in-game and we can RP.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Nathikal has a default reputation

Take into account the editor, which could probably create utterly massive worlds for RPers to establish their own story, starting from scratch. I would not be surprised if at some point not long after release, there is an entirely new game world that people are using to RP in.

As to whether or not RP is possible? I honestly think it is. Aside from a myriad of scenarios which you can create as time goes, as well as political intrigue between nations, various in-game events, etc., the game does lend itself to RP through the quests and the player avatar in game.

Let's be honest - RP doesn't usually require dozens of skirmishes each turn. While I'm sure that the combat aspect will be anything but negated, I would expect more along the lines of epic battles rather than a flurry of tiny fights. Would make an RP game more...interesting, perhaps. Not as cutthroat on the surface, but it could easily go very, very deep.