Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

'Hardcore' mode - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 AM

SoCalDistortion has a default reputation

So as I understand it, the loser maintains his stronghold and will be able to rebuild but with small penalties of the victors choosing?

Perhaps there could be a sense of conquest (for those that want to be conquerers) in the form of gold and or resources given daily by those provinces they had captured in a siege.

Perhaps even a banner could be errected showing dominance of one player over another on a world map? If it is an alliance, perhaps the alliance leaders banner?

If you are beaten, the victor could gain a small percentage of the territories resources (kind of like an on-going tax). The only way to be rid of this would be to attack and beat the player who is collecting? Or...Perhaps the victor could drop the tax in exchange for various political favors. An example would be that the player helps him attack another player or he/she joins the alliance (swearing fealty to the victor) etc...

Players can only have resources taken on an on-going basis by one other player. If Player A attacks player B and wins in a siege on player B's stronghold, player A collects. If player C attacks player B and wins in a siege on player B's stronghold, player A no longer collects. Player C would be the sole beneficiary in this example.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

It doesn't seem right to make it permanent or until they beat their attacker.. I don't mind a sort of tithe system, but there needs to be another way to break it other than beating them or pity. Or if we decide to go with two systems for PVP, the standard matchmaking rather than choosing targets and Guild V Guild, this sort of thing could work in the latter, but I'm not sure if I like it for the standard. The problem is, either you're forced to beat the victor, or you can simply have a friend attack you, lose, attack them, they let you win. It's very easy to exploit, or it's very difficult to break.

One of the problems with this is it creates an exponential growth problem, the top players will be so powerful, so out of reach of the average player that they will win almost every fight, that's just how it is. What you're proposing would give them either nothing because it's so easy to exploit, or if you remove the ability for another victor to gain the collections, an impossible to remove tax. Even if you don't take into account the top players, in an RTS almost every single 1 on 1 matchup will have the same winner 9/10 times, unless we artificially give the person being taxed an advantage when they take the fight to the person taxing them it would be unlikely they'd be able to remove it you see.

As is you will always take their resources, and building damage will persist up till 0 (Inoperable, not destroyed). We may give the victor standard options, Deal damage, take resources, mix which are self explanatory. But perhaps you add a fourth, enforce taxes say for a day or week where you take a % of their income, but don't take any back immediately, in the end you get more, but it takes longer to get it.

Guild V Guild, and objectives on the world map that players CAN compete over rather than player cities, that's where the conquering will come from. In DoF you will not conquer another player, you will sack their cities and fight over actual objectives. Competing over things is great, I love it, but don't expect to be taking over the world either.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

How about an option after defeating an enemy town to conscript a small number of their soldiers? It could lead to some sweet unit combos Ogres/Ranger/Foot knight...
Old 08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Miclee will become famous soon enough

Here's how I would look at a hardcore mode. Instead of your castle being destroyed, it is simply taken over by your enemy(though it would be their choice). If they choose to take it over(gaining trade bonuses, etc.) In order to regain control, you have to spread rumors, cause trouble, etc. around the city and form a rebellion. These units would have basic armor/weapons/skill, unless you somehow convince troops to join you in your rebellion. As suggested above, you could conscript soldiers from them. In order to take back the city, you must take the keep and either convince all soldiers to join your side or kill the soldiers/cause the soldiers to run. This could take days(real-time), since it's meant to be very hard.

For the person capturing the city, they gain resources, troops, etc. until the player regains the city. This makes it so you have at least a small chance of regaining power, though it can take days and possibly longer, if the person capturing the city even chooses to gain control of it instead of destroying it.

It could work, but would take a while to make and I don't think it's worth it in the long run.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:28 AM

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS51 View Post
How about an option after defeating an enemy town to conscript a small number of their soldiers? It could lead to some sweet unit combos Ogres/Ranger/Foot knight...
As is, though I do not know if we plan to keep it in, you can buy mercenaries of any race. The major cities all allow trade regardless of race. The idea itself doesn't sound too bad though.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

Raulaun has good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
As is, though I do not know if we plan to keep it in, you can buy mercenaries of any race. The major cities all allow trade regardless of race. The idea itself doesn't sound too bad though.
It will be harder to trade with races other than your own, right? (With npcs) And easier to trade with those that are your own race? Sort of a disposition negative.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulaun View Post
It will be harder to trade with races other than your own, right? (With npcs) And easier to trade with those that are your own race? Sort of a disposition negative.
If we keep it in, I imagine you'll be paying quite the premium for cross-race units.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 PM

Vigilus has good reputation
Default yeah!

I would totally play on the hardcore server. Naturally players shouldn't be forced into starting a character on the server, and perhaps they could earn the right in another part of the game to participate in the server. It could also go in sessions like other browser games have, say 6 months for 1 game or something like that.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Orc Sect:
Impaler

Toth has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
Fragmenting the player base is not an option on release. I really doubt our position on that changes.
I completely agree with this statement. Also in the same train of thought, having to create a hardcore mode diverts resources from optimising the modes they already have.

Personally I wouldn't have minded if it was only the MMORTS mode and no single player / scenario stuff. And I hope dearly that the MMORTS is their number 1 priority.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:27 PM

efz88 has a default reputation

It is true that right now a hardcore mode would be unfeasible, never the less I would like it