Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

War of the Lost Kings - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > The Pub > Lore, Fan Fiction, & Fan Art
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation
Default War of the Lost Kings

This is my entry for the fan fiction competition.
Note: This story is created with the help of different Fantasy Friday and old Media updates. I do not have or received any more background info on the story than any other on this forum.

Chapter One, The Last Hours of Morsing

People claimed it to be foolish, even insane. The nobles laughed right into my face when I proposed a daring effort. Their laughter and insults could still be heard when leaving the room. But that did not stop me from fulfilling my goals and dreams. I have taken a big risk by pursuing my grand design.

Long ago, south-east of The Rolling Plains, is a dark forest where once humans used to settle, to call home. But that was long, long ago. Now it is desolate, for no man lives in those woods. Only beasts that drove out my ancestors from their rightful place. Now I have corrected that mistake. With me I brought my soldiers, my servants and many who wanted to regain our lost lands, and together we build a safe haven, where light can be found in the darkness. That settlement was called Morsing, the beacon of justice in a lawless zone.

Three years have passed, and our settlement grew with every new settler that came, hoping to gain land to call their own in a society where the nobles control everything, and the lower class is left with scraps. It was located on top of a hill, with dozens of farms surrounding it. It had walls of wood, for stone was hard to find in this area. The hill was surrounded with fir trees, as far as your eye could see. To the north there was a lake, where we would get water for our lands and throats. Our way of life was simple, but we had everything we could want in life. But that was about to change...

It was on a winternight. Snow still covered the fir trees, gradually falling off because of the piercing winds. The full moon stood high in the night sky, and you could hear the wolves howl. Until suddenly, their howls were silenced. It turned quiet in the forest. I was on sentry duty when it happened. I was there when I heard a drum, beating silently in the woods. Every six seconds I could hear that drum beat, louder as time passed. Suddenly it stopped. I waited as many rose from their slumber to investigate the strange sound at night.

After agonising long minutes had passed, the drumming started once more. Only this time, it was louder and more in number, all beating at the same rhythm. Soldiers were arming themselves, manning the wall and waiting in anxiety. Women and children were crying, praying from the depth of their heart that they would pass them by. After minutes of beating, it stopped once more. Tension rose amongst the soldiers, all waiting what would happen next. It was then that a battlehorn sounded amongst the trees.

Countless of orcs and goblins began swarming from the tree line, all shouting in their own dialect. The drums started beating again, in a faster pace, while marauders and catapults began to rain down fiery death from above. The defenders tried to repel the oncoming onslaught, but with no avail. I too stood on that wall, seeing the massive orc horde closing in on our position. Several of my comrades fired volleys of arrows in the hope they could slow them down, or better yet, try to make them route. But their assault was relentless.

I saw enemy fire rain down on the wall, impailing the defenders with arrows. My best friend buckled under the stress and threw away his sword, running and screaming in the hopes that he could still escape the impending doom. He got hit later on by a fiery boulder, igniting as it hit, wailing while trying to extinguish the flames. His screams of agony still haunt my dreams.

The orcs managed to get a battering ram at the gate, and as we abandoned the walls to reinforce the gate, peasants ran in panick and disarray, running towards the secret exit, hoping they could still make it out. The battering ram hammered down as we prepared to intercept the enemy at the gate, where their strenght in numbers could not be utilised. The only place where we could have a fighting chance. But our hopes were short lived, as the gate came crashing down, and the onslaught began.

The gate came down as we readied ourselves for the oncoming waves. But the waves of orcs and goblins never came. Ogres charged at our ranks, swinging their clubs clumsily at the defenders. Several men flew as the club met their shields. No force could stand up against those ogres. Hope had faded as soldiers began to leave rank and ran, deserting their comrades to an ill fate. The city was ablaze, as orcs began to surge into the stronghold. Every man, woman and child would meet their end at the sword. Some had an even worse fate, for those that got captured would be brought back to their stronghold. Man flesh tastes better when served fresh.

Morsing had fallen. The city was razed, its citizens butchered. It would take several days before news would reach Dagbor of its demise. The king ordered all cities to muster arms against this new threat. The plans of recolonization of Thikken Dal failed miserably, as I got ridiculed at my return. My name is Karl Morsen, founder and sole survivor of Morsing.

The War of Lost Kings Has Begun.

Last edited by Yami-Yagari : 07-16-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

So... is it good? Would really appreciate some feedback if i'm going to continue with this fanfic, like what needs changing and stuff.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

yes it is good. I would like to see more.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

YAAAAY response.
Will probably have more later today.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami-Yagari View Post
YAAAAY response.
Will probably have more later today.
Hey I gave you a response, wheres the story?

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 AM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_have_krabs View Post
Hey I gave you a response, wheres the story?
You can´t force inspiration!

Will be up later today... or when i feel like writing..
Old 07-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Chapter Two, War and Betrayal

War

The human lands of Teria are at war. Hordes of orcs have mobilised at the borders of Thikken Dal and Rollingplain. Word of Morsing's destruction has send a wave of panick and uproar through the land. Cities are mustering their defences as countless nobles are summoned to Dagbor, capital of Teria, to discuss on how to deal with this new threat.

Rollingplain is in a state of high alert. Rollingplain has always been a barren landscape, where trees grow few and the soil is unsuited for farming and husbandry. It is because of its steady supply of goldmines that it manages to flourish, although some cities still struggle with poverty. Cities like Darssen, Bonten and Warphel will not be able to hold back the relentless horde, yet alone hold them at bay for aid to arrive.

Thorndale is by far the largest and strongest city in Rollingplain. It is there that the lords of Thorndale govern the fast tracks of land under their care. Rumors of invasion are the key subject of debate amongst the nobles, for if the rumors are true, they cannot hold of this massive force on their own. Highlord Valan sits on this throne with a troubled brow, unsure of what action to undertake.

The nobles argue amongst themselves, debating the optimal solution to this dilemma. "The time to act is now!" lord Hector concludes. "But our force alone cannot hold back this horde, yet alone defeat it!" says lord Manistor. "King Erian will not abandon us to our fate. We must send word for reinforcements" magistrate Barthilas replied. The debate continue to wage, until finally highlord Valan rises. "King Terian will not abandon us, but we do not have the luxury to wait any longer!" Highlord Valan pauses. "Cities will fall while we sit here and do nothing, hoping for reinforcements they might not send. We will send word, but we will not wait".Highlord Valan sent for messengers to relay his orders to outlying towns and cities. "Let all villagers evacuate to the nearest city, and conscript every man and boy able to bear arms. Assemble the horsemen!" "What for?" magistrate Barthilas asked? "We will meet the orc host on the open plains".

Betrayal

Nobles from far and wide have gathered at Dagbor for an emergency counsel. Nobles from Doredale, Galehock and Thorndale anwsered the call. Even the Menthorns, although for entirely different reasons. For ages have Dagbor and Menthorn been in a struggle for power and dominance. The Menthorns believe it is their birthright to rule, but that is was usurped by Dagbor. This powerstruggle has been going on for ages, but now an opportunity has presented itself, an opportunity they've been waiting for.

They sat around a round table, with King Erian elevated above all others on his throne. "Let this counsel be joined". "Your majesty, we must send forces east. Thorndale alone cannot hope to win against a horde of this capacity" lord Elias started. "Doredale does not have the manpower to spare. We must look to our own defenses" replied lord Bannis.

It was then that Menthorn spoke. "This dilemma could have been avoided with strong leadership. Leadership our king Erian apparently lacks". The nobles were baffled of the words that lord Menthorn dared to utter. A debate began to arise between hypocrites who questioned King Erian's rule, and the loyalists who defended King Erian honor. Lord Menthorn had done it. He planted the seeds of mistrust and betrayal amongst the nobles, powerful allies in his plans to come. It was then that lord Menthorn spoke once more. "I will not waste the lives of my soldiers for a king who's incompetence led to these grim developments. I will not fight your war". Having said this, lord Menthorn left for home, to plan his revolution.

Days later, just west of Durian Foss, scouts withnessed a massive army heading towards Dagbor. An army bearing the Menthorn heraldy. News of this sighting was quickly sent to Dagbor, where King Erian decides to recall Southmont's armies to counter this threat. The Menthorn civil war has begun.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Chapter Three, The Sacrifice of Few

Part One

The war of the lost kings is reaching what seem to be its final chapters, as cities fall prey to the unstoppable horde. The sky is ablaze with fire and smoke, and the very soil is stained with the blood of men. The hour is late as hope seems to dwindle, for the men of the Rollingplain realize that aid will not come. The fate of men will be decided on the open fields of Rollingplain. But it is not only men that suffer from brutal assaults of the orcish horde. For in the east, orcs march into elven lands, almost unopposed, save for few who still have the will to fight.

"Take your time''. His words stayed with Findor as he readied my bow. "Patience" the elder elf behind him continued. "Aim straight and true and it will hit". Fifty yards in front of them stood Illas'tal'fiah, a mighty doe said to be as swift and agile as the soaring wind. Many skilled hunters have tried, only to fail. He took a firlos in my hand and prepared his bow. He pulled back the bowstring and aimed for her heart. Illas'tal'fiah rose her head, trying to sense the approaching danger. "Wait, Findor. Wait for her to lower her guard" said the elder elf. Saelnír was a wise elf, a friend of nature and a ranger by heart. He too has tried to deliver the killing blow, only to fail as many before him. When he asked him what went wrong, he replied: "I did not have the heart to rob this magnificent creature of life. Its serene aura dulled my senses, and tempered the flame in my chest". "In other words, you chickened out" Findor replied, with a smirk on his face. "Focus on what lies ahead instead of ridiculing me. You will need all the concentration you have". Findor aimed once more, trying to remain a sturdy pose. Sweat was forming on his face as Illas'tal'fiah rose her head in alarm. "Now loose!” Findor released his bowstring, sending the firlos flying in illas'tal'fiah's direction. The firlos flew towards the target with amazing speed, traversing 50 yards in mere seconds. She notices the firlos as she attempts to dodge the oncoming projectile.

It missed with several feet. Illas'tal'fiah has defeated the hunters once more. "I missed...” Findor responds with a frown on his face. "It was to be expected" Saelnír replied. "Many great hunters have tried and failed to kill Illas'tal'fiah, did you honestly expect her to fall at the hands of a novice?" Saelnír couldn't help but smirk at the overconfidence of the youth, to Findor's annoyance. "Let us return home. We have done enough hunting for this week". With that said Saelnír left, followed by Findor carrying the equipment. "I did nearly nail her, though" to what Saelnír replied: "Yes, if you define 12 feet off your target as nearly, then yes you nearly 'nailed' her". Findor's ego shattered with that remark, asking to his teacher: "You do enjoy ruining the mood on each hunting trip we go on, don't you?” "It comes with the job, crushing the hopes and dreams of apprentices who overestimate their own abilities". They continued their journey homeward is silence, hoping not to invoke yet another sarcastic remark from his tutor. After several hours of journey they finally reached Gelmeerim, the city of the sky. At the gate they witnessed a peculiar sight. They saw legions of elven warrior, knight and archers camping outside the city gate, getting supplies before they head onward. As Findor and Saelnír moved towards the gate they witnessed yet another peculiar sight.

Alagosnír, commander of the elven legions, was standing outside arguing with Helegdhor, lord of Gelmeerim. "Our scouts have witnessed increased gelmee activity in the southeast at their stronghold Nokkrasol. There is no question that they plan to invade. And now, while our need is dire, you dare withhold us supplies and men we most desperately need?!".”I am sorry, but we do not have soldiers to spare" Helegdhor replied. "We hardly have half a legion here at Gelmeerim, and they are here to defend this city and its inhabitants. We will share our supplies with you, but I'm afraid I cannot do more". With that said Alagosnír returned to his men, but still had time to utter these words. "I hope you will reconsider before the end".

Alagosnír regrouped his legions and headed southeast to the Taltos Pass to intercept to incoming horde. "What was that all about?" Findor wondered. "I do not know." Saelnír replied "But it is best not to dwell on these matters. We have supplies to deliver". They headed towards the gate, where Helegdhor watched the elven legions march headlong towards their doom. "Birethos, Helegdhor. It seems we returned at less favorable times". Helegdhor turned to Saelnír and responded: "Ethas, Saelnír. It is good to see your face once more". Their conversation was interrupted by Findor, who asked what had happened in their absence. "Gelmee have been flocking towards Nokkrasol. Their intentions are unclear, but it seems war is unavoidable. The High Council of Archons has given command of the legions to Alagosnír to deal with the threat accordingly. Alagosnír has stripped Taltos of men and supplies in the hope of eradicating the Gelmee horde before the strike". "A bold strategy." Saelnír replies "But gelmee are not weak, nor are they alone. Their horde will consist of beast unimaginable to you and me, and their numbers will reach into the tens of thousands. Alagosnír is a good commander, but a fool, hell-bent on gaining glory for his house". "His thirst for glory will be the undoing for his legions" Helegdhor added. "And when the legions fall, our lands will see carnage unlike anything we've ever seen". Findor shakes his head nervously, trying to get the image of maimed elven bodies out of his head, but with no avail. "Let's not fret of times to come. Things happen on the battlefield, for better and for worse. Whatever the outcome, we must embrace it as our fate. Come Findor, we still have hides to sell". With that said, Findor and Saelnír enter Gelmeerim, unsure of what the future may bring.

Note: This will most likely be a 2-parter, else it would turn out a lot longer (plus i would waste 3 more hours). Will have more tomorrow.

Last edited by Yami-Yagari : 07-18-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Really great stuff! Thanks for a good read.

One small correction - the Taltos capital is Gelmeerim not Gelmeering. If I`m not mistake that translates as Sky Citadel.

Last edited by Konstantin Fomenko : 07-17-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yes, noticed it as well. Correcting it as we speak.