Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fanfic Entry - "Two and a Half Men" - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > The Pub > Lore, Fan Fiction, & Fan Art
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Miclee will become famous soon enough
Default Fanfic Entry - "Two and a Half Men"

Two and a Half Men

PART 1
The three dwarves stumbled out of the tavern to the street, drunk out of their minds. They had been visiting Felsing while looking for work to do. It was the middle of the night and the tavern owner required the town guard to remove the dwarves from the building. The dwarves were originally going to be cutting lumber for a local merchant, but it seemed that was not the case. The merchant was in the tavern with the dwarves, and he had seemed to have left much earlier. Carlos Olrac, the leader of the three dwarves, collapsed on the street. Skald Hammarfists and Doldrirr Ironheart rushed over to help him, though Skald tripped and fell on the way. He decided it was just best to stay where he was and sleep. Doldrirr, confused at it all, sat on the dirt pathway, having a realization of what they had all become, “Skald, Doldrirr, look at what we’ve become. We’re no better than the thieves and looters in this city. I don’t know if you’re with me, but I say that it is time that we make a change!” Doldrirr said, his speech slurred, but the message was clear. The other two, half-unconscious, said nothing. Doldrirr gave in to his drunkenness and slept on the path.

The morning came soon enough, each of the dwarves having a massive headache. It took them a few minutes to figure out where they were. Once all 3 of them were awake, Carlos spoke, “Doldrirr, you are right,” he started, his thick dwarven accent easily understood by the other two, “I think it is time we begin new lives, put all of this behind us. I ask you now, though, simply how? I’ve lived like this for as long as I remember, but—“ Carlos stopped mid-sentence. He seemed like he was thinking of something, and then asked, “Where is that merchant we met last night at the tavern?”

“Not a clue, though he may be at the market,” Skald replied. Carlos quickly started walking down the road towards the market, and the other two soon followed. Upon arrival, it seemed there were many people there. Finding the merchant that they barely knew would be hard. He was a human, much like the inhabitants of the city. The dwarves were hungry, but they ignored it for the time being. They went around to all of the lumber merchants, and finally found who they were looking for.

“Ah, you three! Haven’t given up on my work yet, have you? I knew you would come through! Now, what I need done isn’t exactly easy. We have to travel through the forest to my storage building. I’ve heard that bandits, among other things, are very active in the forests. Are you up for this or not?” the merchant was asking. The dwarves stood there for a few moments, until Skald nodded. The merchant seemed very glad, and told them where to go, “Meet me by the town’s gates in a few hours and we’ll go.” The dwarves walked around the market, looking for things to buy, though they didn’t end up buying anything. A few hours passed and they decided to go to the gates.

The merchant was waiting for them with a horse-driven cart full of lumber, “One of you, sit on the back of the cart. The other two stand next to the horse on either side,” the merchant instructed. Carlos volunteered himself to go on the cart, and Doldrirr and Skald took position next to the horse. A few hours pass of travelling through the forest, when a loud growling noise is heard. The tree cover above makes the forest seem dark, so the dwarves are unable to see what it is.

“Ya hear that?” Skald Hammarfists says as he draws his dwarven axes out, “I’ll take care of this.” He walks forward with a torch in-hand. The light illuminates a figure, and Skald is stricken with fear instantly, “It be a young dragon!” Doldrirr and Skald move to the side as Carlos Olrac speeds the horse up which is pulling the cart. As the cart passes by the dragon, Carlos draws his axes and leaps at it. Doldrirr and Skald charge in, screaming at the top of their lungs.

Carlos hits the dragon in the neck, and pulls his axe out. The dragon seems stunned. Skald charges at the dragon and scores a hit on the young dragon’s torso. The dragon is bleeding heavily, but still alive and fighting. Doldrirr goes to attack, but the dragon quickly swipes his arm and his battleaxe goes flying into a nearby tree, becoming lodged. The young dragon quickly lunges towards Skald, who is within a few feet of it. The dragon bites Skald in the arm, causing major bleeding, though it did not hurt Skald much. Skald becomes enraged and hits the dragon in the leg, crippling it. He then takes a second attack and strikes the skull of the dragon, fatally wounding and killing it.

Carlos Olrac runs over to the merchant angrily, “You never told us about DRAGONS. We expected bandits and most, but DRAGONS?”

“Dragons are not native to this area, someone must have brought them in,” the merchant began, “I’ve heard rumors of a corrupt group of merchants seeking to have all the power. Perhaps it was them? We shall finish delivering this wood to my storage and then report this to the authorities,” He told the dwarves. Skald was still heavily bleeding, so they decided it was best if he took the position on the cart. He worked on bandaging his wound while they travelled, and soon arrived at the storage building.

The dwarves quickly unloaded the lumber and put it in the building, and they quickly set to go back to Felsing. The journey back was uneventful, and they quickly went to the guards’ barracks, the merchant with them. They knocked on the door and the chief of the guards answered, recognizing the dwarves from the night before, as he had to remove them from the tavern, “What is it?”
Doldrirr started to speak, “We were helping this fine merchant here, sir, when a young dragon attacked us on the pathway in the forest out of the city.”

“A dragon?” the guard asked, “You have to be kidding me. How can I believe you? You’re a group of drunken dwarves.” With that, Skald stepped forward and showed the guard his wound. The guard’s jaw dropped and he quickly went into the building for a few moments. Soon enough, a soldier came running out towards the town square, “I’ve told him to notify everyone in the town and report any sightings,” the guard said, his weak nerves showing in his voice.

“Well, if you need any help, we are here,” Carlos said to the man.

“What, are you mercenaries? I could use you to help investigate all of this and help my men if anything shows up,” the guard stated, “I can pay you a fair wage and it would be much appreciated.”

“That seems fair. What needs done?” Skald said, speaking for the others, “We can do nearly anything.”

“First of all, you and your merchant friend need to find out where these things are coming from. I’ve heard rumors around the city, as you probably have heard yourself,” the guard ordered the dwarves. And so, they went to the market in search of any information they could get their hands on. They spent a good part of the day there before finding anything. Skald was pretending to be a beggar, and overheard a conversation between two merchants. He heard the word ‘dragon’ passed around a few times. He began to pursue and saw them enter a rather large building. Unable to enter, he went to find Carlos and Doldrirr.

Skald found the other two dwarves and told them what he’d heard. Carlos stood there for a moment, then spoke, “Let’s go, I doubt we’ll need help to take down a couple of merchants,” They walked to the building Skald had seen the merchants enter. Doldrirr attempted to open the door, and it was unlocked.

“Not too smart of them to leave this unlocked if they’ve got anything to hide. So what’s our plan?” Skald whispered as they three dwarves entered the building.

“Just stay together and search the place,” Carlos instructed. He led the way while the other two followed.

Other parts are in other posts.

Last edited by Miclee : 07-15-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

I love the title. Its great to see a story with dwarves in it. This is a really great start. Can't wait to read more.

I also started on a story about dwarves myself. I don't know if I'll post it. I have about a page right now.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Just a note for any forum admins that read this, indentation on the forums is broken. While editing the indents are shown, while they do not show after you have posted.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

WilsonMG has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miclee View Post
Just a note for any forum admins that read this, indentation on the forums is broken. While editing the indents are shown, while they do not show after you have posted.
That's an issue with vBulletin, which is what I believe the boards are using. We have the same issue with ours and it's using PHPBB3.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

You
shouldn't
have
a
problem
with
indenting
Old 07-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Oh, I see what you're doing now. It's not a software problem, browsers just don't recognize indent spaces as valid characters.

There's no easy way to indent the first line of a paragraph, but if you knew CSS, you could do it for your website. Typing   (the HTML code equivalent for a single space) five times before the paragraph would work too, but HTML's disabled for this forum. You can indent whole paragraphs with our[indent] bb code, but you can't single out lines to indent without custom code.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

WilsonMG has a default reputation

I try to stay out of our .css files as much as possible. I've been known to go for 20+ hrs. straight editing stuff until it's "just right"... I just recently spent around 30 hrs. doing little profile rank images for 133 different flavors of branch of service and last held rank combinations for my members to use in their profiles/posts.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walz View Post
Oh, I see what you're doing now. It's not a software problem, browsers just don't recognize indent spaces as valid characters.

There's no easy way to indent the first line of a paragraph, but if you knew CSS, you could do it for your website. Typing   (the HTML code equivalent for a single space) five times before the paragraph would work too, but HTML's disabled for this forum. You can indent whole paragraphs with our[indent] bb code, but you can't single out lines to indent without custom code.
I see. Thanks for the reply, good to know.

EDIT: Also have another part nearly ready to post. Will do so in a while

Last edited by Miclee : 07-10-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

PART 2
The dwarves entered the rather small corridor at the front of the building. It wasn’t very well lit, the only light coming through the small window slit on the door. They passed into the first room, which was empty other than some books and furniture. The dwarves did not talk at all, remaining as silent as possible (Though, they are dwarves. They are rather clumsy.). Leaving the room, they decided to check upstairs. Doldrirr went first, followed by Carlos and then came Skald. There were many doors in this hallway, all of which were closed but one. Carlos pointed at the room and the other two nodded. Hands on their weapons, they ran into the room.

The room was completely empty, nobody and nothing in it. The dwarves took their hands off of their weapons, breathing a sigh of relief. They went back into the hallway, unsure of which room to check next. Doldrirr opened one of the doors, the room completely empty as well, “I doubt we’re going to find anything here, let’s just leave,” Doldrirr said rather loudly.

“We can’t leave, this is our job, and we must complete it,” Carlos answered with a rather harsh tone.

“Can we at least wait downstairs, in case anyone enters without us knowing?” Doldrirr replied.

Carlos gave in, “If you really want to, go alone. We won’t be there to guard your back,” With that said, Doldrirr went back to the main floor. With very little light, he decided to stay in one place. He stayed in the room closest to the main door, so that he was out of sight of anyone who came in and he could easily sneak up on and attack them.

Carlos and Skald had finished searching all of the rooms on the upper level. Nobody was found, each of the rooms was completely empty. They went down to check on Doldrirr and see if anything had happened, and something had. They saw Doldrirr face-down on the floor, blood trickling from his back. He had a stab wound in his back, but was not dead. “We have to get him out of here, quickly! Grab his legs,” Carlos shouted as he grabbed Doldrirr’s arms. They hurried out of the building and to the local healer.

“Multiple stab wounds in the back, I’m surprised he’s still alive, to be honest,” the healer was telling them, “I’ll do my best, though I can’t promise that will be enough.”

“Thank you. We hope our friend will have a quick recovery, knowing his fate is in your hands,” Skald replied to the healer. Carlos and Skald left the building and back to the market. Now they had nothing, literally. No money, no information for their job, a dying friend.

“We might as well go tell the captain that we won’t be able to finish the job,” Carlos said as the two walked along a small pathway of dirt leading from the market. They reached the guards’ barracks, and Skald knocked. Once again, the captain answered.

“Any luck with it? Find anything useful?” He said rather quickly, not noticing the grim faces which the dwarves were making.

“Doldrirr was stabbed and is currently being looked after by the local healer. We were searching a building and he decided to watch the main floor for anyone. We went down after we checked the upper floor, and he was on the ground covered in blood,” Skald explained.

“Interesting. Did you hear any of this happening?” the captain asked. The dwarves replied that they did not. “I’ll send some soldiers to that building and investigate. You’re free to go, I’ll find you if we have anything to tell you.” The dwarves left the barracks, unsure of what to do next. They agreed that they should try getting some sleep, as it was getting late.

The night passed, neither of them getting much sleep. The events of the day haunted them, and they were unsure of what to do about it all. Many thoughts crossed their minds, but none of them seemed right. The dwarves could search for the enemies, but wouldn’t be able to fight them if they had superior numbers. The dwarves could wait to be attacked, but again wouldn’t be able to fight the enemies off. Nothing they could do would work very well in this situation at all.

The two dwarves went to check on Doldrirr. Upon arrival at the healer’s building, Doldrirr was not there. “Healer! Where is our friend?” Skald shouted across the room as soon as he saw the healer who had been taking care of their friend.

“You two came in here last night and took him with you, saying you didn’t need my help anymore,” the healer answered, “Though you did look a little different, not sure why.”

“Imposters, eh? Knowing that people who look like us are running around doesn’t help this situation at all.” Skald replied. He knew that this could, and would get even worse. The dwarves both knew there was no way out of this other than getting their friend back, which was now their primary goal. Gold, weapons, armor, and fame didn’t matter at all, now. They just wanted to see their friend safe, and there was only one way to do that.

Last edited by Miclee : 07-15-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Ooo now I really want to read more.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima