Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

A Couple Questions (LAN; Map size) - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Human Sect:
Peasant

Zaerun has a default reputation
Default A Couple Questions (LAN; Map size)

Hi, I am new to the forums here so I'm sorry if this has been addressed.
Will you be able to LAN (local area network) Dawn of Fantasy and if you can, to what extent? For example, will you just be able to play skirmishes on a LAN, or will there be more options, maybe (depends how MMORTS works) a mini MMORTS just within the LAN group.

As for map sizes, will there be a size limit when making a map? I know that in WC3 (Warcraft 3) there was (I believe) a 5mb limit to the sizes of maps, which can limit how much content you can put into the map. I myself think that there should be a recommended map size, so you know what the game can handle while still going relatively smoothly, but it shouldn't be the limit.

Thanks
-Zaerun
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

In my opinion, I think there should be a file amount limit, as in Map Size + Scripts + No. of Objects are taken in with a set amount. That way huge laggy maps would not exist. But then again, we want freedom. Freedom!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

i have a ****ty network and a ****ty computer so when the beta comes out...im doomed
Old 11-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

The only people who ran into trouble with the map size limit in WC3 fell into one of these groups:

a) tried to import a music file that's twice as big as the map file should be
b) importing un-optimized models which take up like ten times as much memory as they should (complain to the modeler who made it)
c) importing such a massive amount of content that they've basically created their own game.

Now, I've seen World War 3 maps that implement entire armies of modern day units. Trust me, if they picked their models right there was no problem with the map size limit. The people who complained were those making anime fanboy maps, where they were so set on importing a particular model (let's say Goku) which was taking up way too much room. Then they went insane because they couldn't include four different versions of Goku without going over the map limit. Sorry guys, but if you really want to include an un-optimized or overly-elaborate model, you should expect that you won't have much room for something else.

The map limit was there for the benefit of everyone. It kept download times in line, and it also encouraged people to think about the resources that their map was using and try to think about how to improve that. I never ran into the map size limit. Now, I never created a futuristic setting or an anime fanboy map, but plenty of people succeeded in doing that within the limitations provided.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

iceblast has a default reputation

welcome to the forums zaerun, i believe all will be available and the map editor wont be laggy to an extent
Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Hey and welcome to the forums.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 11-18-2007, 07:09 AM

WILL THERE BE A BETA FOR DOF FOR THE XBOX360... that WOULD BE SWEET BEYOND IMAGINATION...also that would be reviers great chance to allow me and other people to test out the controls!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Probably. If they have on for the PC they will probably have one on the 360. It just may be a little later.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 PM

good so i can brag to all my friends on xboxlive
Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

The size of maps can be completely massive with tons of details/objects around the map, Where talking about like 10,000X10,000 (or way more) sqaure editor units, about 3 units is 1 foot size of a normal human soldier. you do the math
about the lan question, I'm not fully sure, We'll have to wait for Ryan on that one, I would say yes though.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.