Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Release on steam - Page 5 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
I really don't think there should be a problem with launching a steam version, as long as there is also a non-steam.

I really don't see any reason for the hype about this.

Should I?
Well as Unen pointed out. A lot of people don't want to go to the stores (I myself don't feel like getting my lazy as up to get a game) or don't want to buy a physical copy of the game. We all should know that games pile up and disc get lost and/or broken (you only have so long before you can take it back or if you you can even take it back). With steam or Digital downloads you don't have to worry about losing the disc, or it getting broken.

I won't buy the game on steam as I think this game deserves a physical copy. But I will buy more games on steam (I just start buying games on steam).

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 PM

The_Biz has a default reputation

steam is actually the biggest hassle of most the digital distribution places
Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Unen has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Biz View Post
steam is actually the biggest hassle of most the digital distribution places
Really? The only other one ive tried was the EA store and that was a little bit more of a pain (well as much as clicking a few things and downloading a few programs in order to actually DL the game) and it was only available to DL for a few weeks after which id have to pay again to DL. But I havent tried sites like D2D yet.

@Negthareas there's not much real reason for the hype (as long as they sell a physical copy also) its more of just fanboy V non-fanboy rants lol.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unen View Post
its more of just fanboy V non-fanboy rants lol.
Lol. I actually haven't had any problems with steam so far. I do like the deals they have (which are better then any store offers "$59.98 new lowest price").

It seem more people hate steam then like it in the thread. Until I run into a major problem I'm going to use steam.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

The idea of steam(companies like them) is terrific. I just find their sticky fingers to be too much. Also the fact that when they go out of business my games may not work. Other then that I love the ability to buy games online and DL them etc.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Steam isn't the worst offender out there; it compares very favourably against GFWL or EA's store, but as far as I'm concerned we're comparing **** with ****, wouldn't touch any of them.

The only digital distribution service I've encountered to date that I've been able to live with Impulse. It's not perfect, but it's by far the least of all evils on the market currently.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Reverie World Studios - Intern PR Representative

Michael Mullens has a default reputation

Don't understand the hate for Steam in this discussion. It's just a service like many other services, all similar with maybe a slight niche' variation. I have a steam account (Forced) if I wanted to play DoW2 online. No biggy though as since then I have caught a few deals for 30-50$ games for 10-20 bucks Including Some free games for having a Mac.

Also Steam seems to advertise anything new to it's store so by using this as one outlet will promote and gain a few players i'm sure. Anywho at this point I can't wait to buy a boxed copy from the store, going to frame it!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

I'm definitely getting a box for this game too! I always like getting boxes better because I just like holding the game in my hands more than watching a bar on the computer move until I can play the game I bought. This game is one of those games to me where you just have to get it in a box, just because.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 06-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Well like I said i'd see it as more of an ad thing that anything else, possibly more customers. I wouldn't use it because times change, things change, support goes away, companies go under, ownerships change etc. How much can you really modify/mess with a steam client, tweak it etc? I've been known to pick up a few games from the early 90s and mod them to work on my PC. Steam to me is just a very limited option. Oh and as with every gaming service you can be cut off at any time for an accident/bogus reason, definitely not unheard of, I would never attach a huge pile of games to 1 service like that.

So reasons? I got plenty, that's just the tip of the iceberg, but in short I like my games to be mine, and I like to be able to do with them what I please. Physical copies give you free reign, when it's attached to an online service that requires everything to be up to spec etc. I'm just not seeing the appeal beyond laziness. If people want to buy a game I think in general they will, the only thing steam would offer is possibly advertising to more players, but at the same time taking a chunk of profits, so it's a toss up in my opinion. Plus there's nothing stopping Rev~ from setting up their own download shop for lazy people.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
Well like I said i'd see it as more of an ad thing that anything else, possibly more customers. I wouldn't use it because times change, things change, support goes away, companies go under, ownerships change etc. How much can you really modify/mess with a steam client, tweak it etc? I've been known to pick up a few games from the early 90s and mod them to work on my PC. Steam to me is just a very limited option. Oh and as with every gaming service you can be cut off at any time for an accident/bogus reason, definitely not unheard of, I would never attach a huge pile of games to 1 service like that.

So reasons? I got plenty, that's just the tip of the iceberg, but in short I like my games to be mine, and I like to be able to do with them what I please. Physical copies give you free reign, when it's attached to an online service that requires everything to be up to spec etc. I'm just not seeing the appeal beyond laziness. If people want to buy a game I think in general they will, the only thing steam would offer is possibly advertising to more players, but at the same time taking a chunk of profits, so it's a toss up in my opinion. Plus there's nothing stopping Rev~ from setting up their own download shop for lazy people.
I believe that it was proposed that it would be only be an option to have it connected with steam at all, and that being if you download it from steam. Whereas if you wanted to go out and buy a box from the store, then you could and then download and play the game without ever logging into steam.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)