Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Release on steam - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
Well for both ETW and Sup Com 2 I had to install and update through steam to run the game offline...the logic is staggering.
Having to run the application to install and update is on the brigher end of the greyscale in my books. They're, for the most part, one-time deals and you don't look back. Certainly it'll be a hassle when the server support is discontinued, hence why it's still in the greyscale, but that just seems to be the reality these days.

However, having to run the application and stay connected while playing the game goes too far. That's out the greyscale and into the black in my books. I will not accept policies like this, and will not play games that apply them. As consumers, if we don't reject this kind of behavior it won't go away... and could get even worse (see Ubisoft...)

Quote:
If it becomes a necessary then I think it will lose more customers than it will gain
From what I've heard - and this is mostly anecdotal - most of Steam's support base comes from the FPS crowd, and most of its detractors come from the RTS and TBS crowd. This isn't very surprising since Steam was launched with a high-profile FPS as its flagship product, whereas it has only had a couple of high-profile strategy releases (E:TW, SupCom 2) and it didn't help matters that these were widely considered inferior to their predecessors.

Steam is going to get Civ 5 as an exclusive, so it will be interesting to see how that goes through. We're talking about one of the most revered games in history going with a service that (to a large segment of its own fan base) is reviled. For me, I'm sticking to my principles and won't buy so long as it's on Steam. I have no illusions about that; there's a 90% chance that means I will never buy Civ 5 because it will never be released outside of Steam.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
You sure don't like that word, do you. I use it occasionally just to see if you'll reply, I picture you cringing each time you see it
I do that too oddly enough.

But I personally don't mind steam so much, it would be nice if DoF was released on steam, but definitely not exclusively on steam, that would just be horrid.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Right so the more distribution outlets the better for DoF.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
I personally don't buy much from steam for various reasons, but for a lot of people it's a pretty good service, I quite like it. Only company I avoid is gamestop, they really lowball people on the trade ins then gouge people who buy the used ones, that and the whole special stuff only from pre-orders through them.

This sort of decision is up to publishers though, I'm pretty confident it's not going to be just steam if on steam at all lol.
I'm with you on that. Gamestop F**ks people over badly. Personally with the PC market as it is and with this being an Indie title, I think steam might help with publicity and sale (that also depends on how much Reverie or 'The Publisher' does themselves).

The market is shifting pretty heavy toward digital downloads, more so on the PC and the casual gamer (which is the biggest gaming market; the causal gamer not PC).

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_have_krabs View Post
I'm with you on that. Gamestop F**ks people over badly. Personally with the PC market as it is and with this being an Indie title, I think steam might help with publicity and sale (that also depends on how much Reverie or 'The Publisher' does themselves).

The market is shifting pretty heavy toward digital downloads, more so on the PC and the casual gamer (which is the biggest gaming market; the causal gamer not PC).
I thought this wasn't and "indie" game because it has a "publisher" or am I missing something? Or does it have to do with the look of the game?

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
I thought this wasn't and "indie" game because it has a "publisher" or am I missing something? Or does it have to do with the look of the game?
If a development company isn't owned by a publisher it's considered 'Indie' or 'Independent', hence the name. So, if Reverie doesn't get bought up by a publisher its consider an 'Indie' company. Publisher supply the money (as well as their own input, but we won't get into that) for the devs they own or the contracts the set with 'Indie' companies.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 06-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
We were due to circumstances an independent developer for quite some time, but the game itself has had outside funding, and will in the future, so it doesn't really count to most people, but the definition is pretty loose and open to interpretation.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
We were due to circumstances an independent developer for quite some time, but the game itself has had outside funding, and will in the future, so it doesn't really count to most people, but the definition is pretty loose and open to interpretation.
True, but I wouldn't consider the funding make any difference. If Reverie still owns the product legal and Reverie itself not owned by another company, regardless of external funding it still would be considered 'Indie'.

Last edited by Henry Martin : 06-04-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Noxeros has a default reputation

I actually hope that they DON'T release this ONLY on steam. As long as there is some other way to play its okay. I get totally random disconnects from steam games... it is not fun.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxeros View Post
I actually hope that they DON'T release this ONLY on steam. As long as there is some other way to play its okay. I get totally random disconnects from steam games... it is not fun.
I agree with you overall. I just think steam is better for indie companies(to get a name out) than store selves. Stores are better for AAA titles. I only now by games at store it if it's something that I really want to play, but if its not I'll get it from steam.