Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Release on steam - Page 17 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 AM

oppenator has a default reputation

about 80% of the games i paid for are connected to steam. I think it would be a success boost for DoF!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Ba'al has a default reputation

So the general consent here is:

1. Releasing the game via Steam is a good idea for various reasons...
2. ...as long as Steam doesn't become mandatory.

This would make everybody happy because both, people who like and those who dislike Steam get what they want. Anyone here that does not agree with this?

If Steam becomes mandatory, I'm out. Steam is only acceptable to me as long as I can chose whether I want to use it or not. I'm an honest customer and I frown upon illegal downloading, but I don't want to be harassed because of other peoples crimes and since Steam sucks as copy protection, all it really is in the end is a organiser for your games and yet another platform for social interaction, but I don't need help organising my games and I don't need yet another way to blow my personal data into the cyberspace. I just want to play a game and I'm not alone with this point of view.
(Aside from that, I run BOINC on my PC, so every bit of CPU capacity spend on useless operations is a loss and a waste of power. Small things still sum up. Even on a quad core.)

So, please, I beg you, no installation limits, no mandatory Steam, no UbiStarter, no Games for Windows Life or anything comparable. People will download this game anyways. Don't punish honest customers for it. Dawn of Fantasy is not a game that primarily aims for casual gamers who tend to rather download games illegally than dedicated gamers like us, who will buy the game. It would be disrespectful to us to restrict the use of legal copies in order to prevent illegal downloading, just so that those who download the game anyways will have a (much) more enjopyable gaming experience. There are copy protection options that don't harass honest people (look at Risen) and how about putting a nice poster into the DVD box or something else as a little 'Tank you!' that can't be downloaded? This will be hundred times more helpful than the copy protection nightmare that Dawn of War II was with GFWL and Steam and whatnot.

I deeply respect the developers of any game as great as this is going to be, but I want them to respect their customers (me!) as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Hyroshi has a default reputation

If the game is released on Steam, the population would be 10x what it is without steam. It is probably the best platform for an indy developer to get on ever.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Kennethmk89 has a default reputation

In no way could steam be a bad thing for this game or the devs, and makes is so easy for players to pick up and play. The crowd for steam is become more and more interested in rpgs
Old 03-12-2011, 07:46 AM

gordon2kam has a default reputation

steam rags
Old 03-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Garyn has a default reputation
Default steam

its a great idea i would get it off of steam without leaving the house
Old 03-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Griegor Mcvennor has fair reputation

I think the publisher would be wise to release it on as many platforms as possible to ensure the success of the game.

There are many options out there and each probably has it's own user base that is different from the others.

Steam ( Good for large developers)

Direct2Drive (Good for avoiding the steam hassel)

Stardock Impluse (Absolutely awesome support for indie developers)

Box Copies

I don't mind steam although it seems to eat up resources somtimes for intense games but I really lose Stardock Impulse. Impulse doesn't seem to hog up any system resources once it launches the game because it's not got all the ingrained mandatory funcationality associated with Steam. Direct 2 Drive is a great option for people who don't want to go to the store but don't want to deal with the hassels of Steam or Stardock Impulse.

Older gamers like myself probably like to have boxed copies simply because many people collect them like back in the old days when we middle agers were in middle and high school in the 90's. Box games of course don't give as great a return for the publishers but again, it's catering to a different customer base.

TLDR Version

Publish on as many platforms as you can.

Steam/Stardock Impulse ( Targets the younger crowd and College Students)
Direct2Drive (targets younger audience that doesn't like steam)
Box Copies ( Targets the older folks who like to collect game materials such as instruction books and goodies/ Younger crowds who hate steam)

All good options all different pools of customers to tap into based on their habits.

I personally would buy it off Impulse before steam but I'll do what is needed to get the game.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 AM

nord has a default reputation

I love steam and it's the best DRM alternative right now
Old 03-19-2011, 02:55 AM

Ba'al has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nord View Post
I love steam and it's the best DRM alternative right now
I am no DRM expert and unless you are, I don't think that any of us can say anything in that direction, especially since anything related to computers progresses so fast it's hard to keep up with for non-experts.

Let's do a test: How many DRM Systems do you know? And what do you know about them? I think everybody knows Battlenet, UbiStarter, Games for Windows Life, Steam and so on, but there are hundreds of others.

When it comes to user friendly DRM I think Risen and Divinity 2 are good examples. Put the CD into your drive, install, play. That's all I want and they come without Steam or anything comparable.

//
I have the impression that everybody reads the first post and then posts his/her own opinion but there's nobody here really engaging in a discussion. It's all just " I like Steam" and "No, I don't like Steam."

Last edited by Ba'al : 03-19-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

Griegor Mcvennor has fair reputation

I've never minded DRM. I always thought it was good for the games industry because lets face the facts here. The number of people willing to purchase a copy when they can get it for free just to support the developers is much lower than those willing to mooch when they can simply because they can. This is especially true during times of economic down turn. This is the same reason why you see the popularity of F2P games sky rocket. Of course the same people who don't want to subcribe to a game are the same idiots that fork over $20 a month of shiny things from the item malls, but I disgress.

I don't consider battlenet or steam an obstrusive DRM system. I always considered secure rom annoying although it was easy to bypass with a cracked exe file. I never cracked a game I didn't own, mostly I did it because I was too lazy to keep switching CD's all the time. There was another DRM system I can't remember that was extremely intrusive and caught alot of flack due to rumors of it interfering with a computer's system programming. I don't remember the name though, someone actually released a tool to help strip it from your system because it remained after you uninstalled the game.

I think if they release DOF on Stardock Impulse you would see quite a few sales of the game. Impulse prides itself as an alternative to steam but their DRM is much less intrusive. There is no encryption or any of that nonsense. Games are linked to your account, you download, install, and play. It's also much faster than steam and less resource intensive.

I don't really know if I would even consider Battlenet, Steam, or Impulse DRM anymore. It's akin to considering any PW/login combo for a forum or email system as DRM. The whole of DRM has changed in the past 10 years and it's definately nothing resembling what it used to be.

I think Reverie has a choice really. Release without DRM, eat up the initial losses due to file sharing (inevitiable even with steam games I think) Try to draw in as many customers as possible in order to profit that much more when it comes time for the expansion packs

OR

Do steam/impulse and use DRM services to ensure that every customer is a paying customer. THe question is in the end which method will earn you the most money at the end of the day?

Developers used to release shareware and freeware versions of their game's to get the hype out there and maximize profits. What ever happened to those days? That was the original DRM.