Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Release on steam - Page 13 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Oaktotem has a default reputation

The problem with steam is they can ban your account for pretty much anyreason (although they are not power hungry and only ban with justification.) But after receiving such a ban all of your games will be unaccesible.

I like steam and have never had a problem but that is the other side of the coin.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

Rhino has a default reputation

Two thumbs up for steam ! I am constantly using them for buying new games even more so than going to the shops.

You see if DOF went through steam aswell as other online places, more people would buy the game as it is always just a few clicks away to download. Although putting the games in retail stores is always a good idea since i know some people who like to collect the boxes for the games...me....>.>

To be fair though I would rather be able to download the game from an online provider rather than going out to the shops as it would not take as much effort (yes im lazy).

I give my approval! ;D
Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 PM

atsumok has a default reputation

I'm not to big on steam but i say put the game on there what the down fall?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:53 AM

DerKater has a default reputation

I will say in support of sales through service Steam. Since Dawn of Fantasy is declared as a MMO game. At least one of the MMO games purchased through Steam (in my case it's Star Trek Online) makes it easy to use keys, and the client to download the game without going through Steam. Perhaps such kind of spreading would suit most users.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Verrenth has a default reputation

I am also in favor of a steam release i have several of my games through steam and i like the convenient interface and management and in game interface but as oak stated they can ban you as a third party and make your steam games inaccessible.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Froody42 has a default reputation

I'll throw in my vote for a Steam release. Not only because I'm an avid Steam user myself, but also because I believe it would be good for the game. Steam reaches a very large amount of PC gamers and displays new games prominently on their front page, which would be great publicity for DoF. There are many people out there right now who simply don't know about this game.

Especially since two of PC gaming's greatest RTS franchises, Total War and Dawn of War, have both required Steam for quite some time, there are bound to be a great deal of strategy fans registered with Steam by now. Reaching this audience could only benefit sales.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 AM

Th3 Mastodon has a default reputation

Steam woulde be a great way to both advertise and sel the game
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Warchamp84 has a default reputation
Default Steam!

Personally i would not buy from steam either but if they put it on steam it would really provide them with great advertisement. Steam is really good at advertising. Also when open beta is out put that on steam, seriously people will really take a look at it. IT is a great way of marketing the game. But still keep a non-steam version as well since many people like myself don't particularly like steam.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 AM

ElegantPete has a default reputation
Default Online distribution is the future

I've been thinking about this a bit actually.

Steam is really the way to go. You can allow people to trickle their downloads prior to release so that your servers aren't smashed to pieces.

Key management is there and it encourages people to not hack etc as their other games are potentially at risk if a ban is issued.
Also, the audience is huge, I know of at least 8 people that check steam everyday, some more than once for specials or updates.

It also means you can integrate with the steam achievements which are then propagated across social networking etc.
Plus, digital distribution is cheaper for all concerned and it's a little less taxing on the environment.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 AM

Danoli3 has a default reputation

Was just looking for this thread... Definitely go for steam!