Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Release on steam - Page 12 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM

shrubhead has a default reputation

steam release would be awesome, but understandable if it doesn't happen.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Paffp has fair reputation
Default Steam

I think it should be released for it.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Piaskowy has a default reputation

Never had any problems with steam, good as distributor, as game updates looks decent, better then box tho
Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Smithy has a default reputation

As a new commer here... I prefer my games thought steam..

But isnt this supopse to be a MMORTS? so wont the game have its own server were the clinet is suppose to connect to? i suppose you could still sell it in steam and the client would still connect to the one server? right
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM

DarkLord7854 has a default reputation

+1 for Steam, love it. However, I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker if it doesn't go on Steam
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

This is completely unofficial - but I think we will see Dawn of Fantasy distributed through Steam as well as other online retailers. Hopefully myself or our publisher (505 games) will be able to confirm this in the coming weeks.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

akyko has a default reputation

Steam is nice, but is it that much simpler than have a downloaded file from Dawn of Fantasy website if they were to go a non-boxed route themselves instead of steam?

Ya, a CD can be annoying especially if your CD drive is a bit stubborn cause someone spilled syrup on it. lol! But are you really that constricted on hard drive space in this day and age that you have to uninstall and reinstall to play different games? This beta only requires what 2gb?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 PM

GoGoCactusMan! is just above average reputation

I've been a PC gamer for a long, LOOOONNNNNG time, mostly for RTS games.

However, I did have a long love affair with Counter Strike, from beta testing it till its full release. It was a desperate love affair, where I feared every second that my true love of C&C would find out and dump me. Sadly this happened. She left, found a new man named EA, who abused her, relentlessly...

Ahem, getting back to my point.

There came a point where Steam came into the picture, and if I wanted to play CS, I had to use Steam. I tooled around with it a bit, then fell off the map with CS for a while, only looking back at the game when CS: Source was to be released with Half Life 2.

Yes, when Steam came out, it was pretty awful. Mind you, I had no trouble with it, it just was not the greatest of software.

However, over the years, I've found myself loving it. I have a vast PC game collection at this point in my life, and far too often have I misplaced a case or had a cd key vanish. With Steam, if I ever lose any of my physical material, I can just re download it with a click, or even right click, and check what the cd key was. Its rather fantastic, and anyone adamant against Steam is honestly missing out on a great service that has great support around it.

Hands down though, one of its greatest strengths has been introducing me to lots of games that I would have never found if not for Steam. Many indie RTS games as well as other genres have popped up on their news blurbs when you hit the main page, things I loved, played to death, and will always suggest to gamers I meet who are looking for something fresh and inexpensive.

I know I'm not the only one who has had this happen too, I'm sure more than most have bought a good game through Steam that otherwise would never have gotten much attention.

My honest opinion is: At least look into a Steam release. It has some monumental advantages to help the game flourish and find an audience that may not have ever heard of the title but have always been looking for what it offers.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 PM

Wyzak has a default reputation

+1 for Steam release, most people don't require the additional media that come in a boxed set. Also a steam release is wonderful if you have just had your pc stolen...
Old 01-22-2011, 02:48 PM

DarkLord7854 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akyko View Post
Steam is nice, but is it that much simpler than have a downloaded file from Dawn of Fantasy website if they were to go a non-boxed route themselves instead of steam?

Ya, a CD can be annoying especially if your CD drive is a bit stubborn cause someone spilled syrup on it. lol! But are you really that constricted on hard drive space in this day and age that you have to uninstall and reinstall to play different games? This beta only requires what 2gb?
The convenience of Steam is that most people already have it, and it's a lot easier to have things under 1 account than spread over multiple accounts. Also, the Steamwork services are rather nice and if integrated into them, would provide a nice little extra layer to the game.