Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Love for Google? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation

So you live in the town where the unimportant Erich Schmidt originated from? Nice!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Google is great because you can find stuff that would otherwise take weeks to find, but, it also gives you so many possiblilites sometimes that it takes a while to find what you need. It would be nice if it were a bit more specific on its searches. Still... overall good. Though I agree with Litos on some points.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Dude, we are living in a day where privacy is diminishing, get used to it CCTV watches our movements, the government knows all your details, the authorities know all about your vehicles and such, all your details are everywhere.

Also, Google may store all the searches, yes it invades privacy a bit but it helps in providing quicker and easier searching, improving popular searches and moving popular sites up the lists...

Also youtube was always like that, you just didnt notice it, I noticed it as a lot of music I liked was removed, but worse was the blocking of me from so much stuff because it wasnt available in the UK... I laughed so much when I heard that really suddenlt the US was finally suffering the same for many vids that were not theirs, a taste of their own medicine if you will...
But yes I dont like the new layout of youtube, especially on the comments and such
Old 05-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami-Yagari View Post
So you live in the town where the unimportant Erich Schmidt originated from? Nice!
=)) Yes, something like that. I was born in the same town as the "unimportant" Schmidt who is a quiet important men @ Google.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

How is it that there are 2 people with the same name working in the same company with the same level of authority?
Maybe they cloned each other
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Reverie World Studios - Intern PR Representative

Michael Mullens has a default reputation

Google has become a pretty essential tool involved in leisure and professional time. Yahoo claims it's worth 1 Billion, I would say Google is worth 7-8 times that (Personally) on Yahoo's magical scale of worth.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullens View Post
Google has become a pretty essential tool involved in leisure and professional time. Yahoo claims it's worth 1 Billion, I would say Google is worth 7-8 times that (Personally) on Yahoo's magical scale of worth.
im pretty sure google is worth more than walmart, and walmart gets like 350billion a year in sales, not sure though, ill go google it real quick

http://johnquiggin.com/archives/001665.html
thats an article estimating googles worth and annual revenue/profit
hope that helps

Last edited by zach12wqasxz : 05-24-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
Without google, the world would be jumping with joy.
a) Google has ALL your information. All your search records, everything. It knows you, it knows where you went, it knows why you went there. Privacy - none, with google.

b) Google bought youtube - and made it worse. Look at it now. Copyrighted videos get instantly deleted, people get banned, and the stupid look of the new video page (or any page they change for that matter) is stupid. And it's all thanks to google.

Check out this interesting video for some interesting information.
What has google done specifically that is "evil", they never actually sell this information about you as individual. Perhaps they plan to, perhaps we should start arresting people for thought crime as well? They've done nothing wrong, just because they have the power to doesn't mean they should be considered evil. It means they should be closely monitored and held to higher standards.

The key point here is they don't sell this information to people they "sell" it to algorithms. Nobody actually will ever SEE this private data, google doesn't have teams of people looking for the worst stuff and blackmailing people, only the algorithms ever accesses their database, and even then it's just to target ads that might actually interest you. What's so bad about that? Google offers me fantastic stuff and all it costs me is ads that are targeted towards a profile based upon things I've looked for/done, rather than having to pay for it.

And really, "Having a hand in everything" as long as they monopolize nothing isn't bad, you do realize every single company in the world would have a hand in everything if they were capable of profiting from it, they simply aren't that capable, the people over at google are, this doesn't make them bad.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
And really, "Having a hand in everything" as long as they monopolize nothing isn't bad, you do realize every single company in the world would have a hand in everything if they were capable of profiting from it, they simply aren't that capable, the people over at google are, this doesn't make them bad.
I dont think Google could monopolize anything to be honest... If anything it would be the search engine market, and we know they haven't managed that... Yahoo still claims to be worth a lot, Bing has arrived and has taken a surprising number of users, there are many other used ones too and many not so used ones
I recommend Dogpile I dont use it often, but it is a good one, meta-search engine
Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I like to Google Elgoog and get the reverse search engine (oodles of fun). But, yes, I love Google.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang