Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Medieval II Total War - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Ive played it. was the main reason for upgrading my pc lol so i love it. PErsonally i prefer all the MTW2 and RTW to the modern gun battling ones but its still one of my favorite games ever epic mulitplayer aswell many a time me and my brother played it to see who was better
Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

[quote=wills370;27869]PErsonally i prefer all the MTW2 and RTW to the modern gun battling ones

Snap, i hated the late ages for such units and am avoiding napolean like its the plague
Old 05-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami-Yagari View Post
It really depends on your playstyle if it will get repetitive or not. Plus it helps if you boost the difficulty if you need mor challenge.
I generally go hardest or bust. I usually go at it over and over til I can beat a game on the hardest except the ones where they intentionally make it unbeatable on the hardest for people who like to use cheat codes and feel like theyre owning.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Same here pretty much. It is one of those Games I have on my list [I had just borrows it temp. from a friend], but have not gotten around to it yet.

As I said - I like to really master my games. As such, I get pretty picky about what I chose to master.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
I generally go hardest or bust. I usually go at it over and over til I can beat a game on the hardest except the ones where they intentionally make it unbeatable on the hardest for people who like to use cheat codes and feel like theyre owning.
I typically mod the total war games to make them harder, mostly weaker starting armies, tweaked unit stats. It also helps to pick the weaker races.

While the world map may not have been enjoyable for all, as a huge fan of turn based strategy games in the past, I quite liked it. I've played in tournaments and such for standard RTSes over the years, and while I love the fast paced action and competitive nature, there's still something to be said for the strategic thinking man's game that is turn based.

Another thing for Total War, since I do enjoy the turn based nature of the game - I've played many a campaign with ONLY automated battles, no abusing the AI. This is quite challenging, and overall pretty fun as long as you're not too OCD on managing everything then turns will take forever. It goes without saying to not load a save when you lose a battle you shouldn't have. The chance you can lose a developed general and a full army to 1:5 odds changes the way you play quite a bit.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

This is something I try to do in most games I play - I try to never use quicksaves in FPS's, and I only save RTS games once or twice. Three times at most. I like to try to think as if the game is real, and that I can't commit suicide and then resurect at a previous point in my life.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
Another thing for Total War, since I do enjoy the turn based nature of the game - I've played many a campaign with ONLY automated battles, no abusing the AI. This is quite challenging, and overall pretty fun as long as you're not too OCD on managing everything then turns will take forever. It goes without saying to not load a save when you lose a battle you shouldn't have. The chance you can lose a developed general and a full army to 1:5 odds changes the way you play quite a bit.
Isnt there if you play the hardest mod and if you put automatic resolve battle you loose most of the time, even if comp has just some poor troops?=) Well i love automatic resolve but cant do at hard mod because of this=(. Or there matters what kind of general you have, so if it is good the battle would be realistic and not farmers(comp)>knights(you)?

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
Isnt there if you play the hardest mod and if you put automatic resolve battle you loose most of the time, even if comp has just some poor troops?=) Well i love automatic resolve but cant do at hard mod because of this=(. Or there matters what kind of general you have, so if it is good the battle would be realistic and not farmers(comp)>knights(you)?
If you want to win for Medieval II at least, you need to properly grow a minimum of two generals. I typically max out fear, though it can be useful to have a chivalry general when conquering. I like to have two with high if not maxed fear, and one chivalry, and I'll leave the chivalry general in a city until the initial unrest dies down so I don't have to exterminate as often to keep them under control.

There are other things that really help, namely abusing Jihad for Islamic races, and regularly assassinating the Pope so you can conquer your neighbors without fear of being excommunicated for Christians. I find that the increased movement for Jihad is terrifyingly powerful, and for most Christian factions you're better off simply ignoring the pope till you're about to be excommunicated then assassinate so you can freely conquer your neighboring Christians.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

The thing that really bothered me was that religion played such a strong part, I felt it didn't belong in the game regardless of time period. It's supposed to be a war game not a religious game (I think) lol.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation

Quote:
If you want to win for Medieval II at least, you need to properly grow a minimum of two generals. I typically max out fear, though it can be useful to have a chivalry general when conquering. I like to have two with high if not maxed fear, and one chivalry, and I'll leave the chivalry general in a city until the initial unrest dies down so I don't have to exterminate as often to keep them under control.
I never really bothered with focusing on 2 generals only. A 1 star general can still beat a fully upgraded general depending on how big his army is and how well upgraded.

Quote:
There are other things that really help, namely abusing Jihad for Islamic races, and regularly assassinating the Pope so you can conquer your neighbors without fear of being excommunicated for Christians. I find that the increased movement for Jihad is terrifyingly powerful, and for most Christian factions you're better off simply ignoring the pope till you're about to be excommunicated then assassinate so you can freely conquer your neighboring Christians.
Never really mattered to me, considering every christian nation that dares attack me gets excommunicated .
But crusades and jihads can really be abused in a way, simply because of the fact for christians you can recruit great mounted and dismounted knights for almost free, and muslims can get cheap zerg units.