Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Single player - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

"Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein
Why not? Sure, DoF is has an MMORTS aspect but it sure can (well, looks as if it can) hold its own even as a single player. Besides, single player on easy mode is a way of building up a castle how one wants without the threat of constant player invasion. Or hopefully, at least. Until Reverie adds a Sandbox mode in a later patch (expectant hint ).
I'm not one for competitiveness in any case, so single player should take the edge off.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM

Wizaerd has a default reputation

If the game had been initially advertised as an MMORTS only then I probably would have moved on in the first place. But since we were inittially told that it was also a single player game as well, that's what got me interested in it. No I don;t expect single player in WoW because it was never said to have a single player mode. This one did, hence some people looking forward to a single player mode.

Either way, it's a moot point because they still said they'd have single player... It's the SP and the editor I'm interested in, the online capabilities does not interest me one single whit...
Old 04-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills370 View Post
If you want to know more you can always go on the dawnoffantasy website that holds all the information currently released on the game and its aims etc.
For the record, if you do go to the main webste, under features you'll see an item listed as 4 unique game mode which clearly states:

Quote:
"To give players the greatest value in the game, Dawn of Fantasy impressively boasts four different game modes, including innovative MMORTS game mode, an intense single player campaign, full-featured regular multipayer skirmish and extensive Singleplayer skirmish mode. Each game mode brings a unique gampleay experience to the table , complete with new game rules and countless hours of storytelling , fantasy kingdom building and epic battles."
That's why people want and expect there to be a single player mode... And I for one really want the SP campaign as well, althouth Reverie is now saying it might release a SP campaign later on down the road...
Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daermoth View Post
Given the game itself is called an MMORTS..meaning massive multiplayer online..I don't see what the big fuss about single player is, I mean there are a ton of single player RTS's and when finally one purely multiplayer comes out, people complain that it has no single player:P Sure it is nice to have a single player mode to relax and unwind sometimes but implementing something like that could seriously damage the multiplayer content, it would limit the time of the devs to work on viable multiplayer content while they try to think of what to do in single player...so yeah, I'd much rather have them cut it completely out and then perhaps add it in at some much later date, or never:P
My last post on the subject (for the day at least... heh heh heh) It's not just an RTS. You are correct, there are a myriad of RTS games that have single player, but this game isn't just an RTS... It's a Kingdom Simulator as well, where you build a city and a keep... It features more up to date an innovative features than a regular ole RTS game would have... And offers an experience that you cannot find in any current RTS game...
Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizaerd View Post
My last post on the subject (for the day at least... heh heh heh) It's not just an RTS. You are correct, there are a myriad of RTS games that have single player, but this game isn't just an RTS... It's a Kingdom Simulator as well, where you build a city and a keep... It features more up to date an innovative features than a regular ole RTS game would have... And offers an experience that you cannot find in any current RTS game...
Well, technically it is a traditional RTS base building just with a twist, the base is continuous/permanent.

Its a mix of your basic RTS skirmish base building with Total war world map. Which in my book is awesome.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Lots of disinformation in this thread and even more poorly worded statements

There will be plenty to do for those of you that do not wish to play online. The lay siege/castle defend will be playable against AI. And some other things that I can't go into detail on yet, I will say that one of the other single player modes will be on a grander scale, not just a small skirmish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_have_krabs View Post
Well, technically it is a traditional RTS base building just with a twist, the base is continuous/permanent.

Its a mix of your basic RTS skirmish base building with Total war world map. Which in my book is awesome.

That might seem small but it changes the game dramatically. You can't see what your opponents will be building in MMORTS mode, you go into battles blind as to what you'll be facing and armies train very slowly so losing a large amount of units, or massing a single unit type will make you incredibly inflexible. Unlike a normal RTS you can't mass THEN see what they have and mass something else. You need to have a well balanced army or you're flipping a coin on whether or not your army will go up against units that they're weak to, very risky.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 04-30-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post

There will be plenty to do for those of you that do not wish to play online. The lay siege/castle defend will be playable against AI. And some other things that I can't go into detail on yet, I will say that one of the other single player modes will be on a grander scale, not just a small skirmish.

That might seem small but it changes the game dramatically. You can't see what your opponents will be building in MMORTS mode, you go into battles blind as to what you'll be facing and armies train very slowly so losing a large amount of units, or massing a single unit type will make you incredibly inflexible. Unlike a normal RTS you can't mass THEN see what they have and mass something else. You need to have a well balanced army or you're flipping a coin on whether or not your army will go up against units that they're weak to, very risky.

and this is what makes the game much more realistic and strategic, and not a big blobfest to see who can crank out the most units faster, wich i find in almost every single rts ive ever played in my entire life
Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post

Ok, you caught my generalizing. None of the people here will know what the game will be unless they work for Reverie or they play the game. And even then they won't know the game fully.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Daermoth has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizaerd View Post
I apologize if I seemed to have been generalizing, it is just that given the multiplayer component of the game, single player is largely unnecessary, at least it is so in my opinion. Like I mentioned earlier, the persistent online building up and everything is structured in a way that makes it almost possible to play as a single player game, with a slight risk of getting attacked while you are online. Now I understand that you're not interested in the online gaming part, but what prevents you ( aside from not having an internet connection, though you do seem to have that:P ) from just playing it online without any interaction with other players? Perhaps reverie might even implement a system where a player might choose in the beginning to play a PvE game of sorts with his/her kingdom, in other words..to remove the option of being attacked by others. The game would remain online and be played online, you might have chatting possible if you want to, but you would be..for all intents and purposes alone. Anyhow, that's my view as I stated earlier, I just find it unnecessary to implement a new game mode when it can be so seamlessly incorporated into the existing persistent online world