Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fantasy Friday XXIII - Unique Formations Part I - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square > Media Fair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation

kinda looks more like a moon crescent then a serpent, sorry for nitpicking
Old 04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami-Yagari View Post

kinda looks more like a moon crescent then a serpent, sorry for nitpicking
A crescent or arc it certainly does resemble, but it doesnt sound as good as serpent formation does it?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami-Yagari View Post
Itīs probably just me, but the orcish formations seem to have no disadvantages, except for a faster fatigue drain.
Preliminary testing indicates they're a little on the weak side because of that fatigue drain. In prolonged combat, mainly sieges, they're at a pretty big overall disadvantage. In open field battles they're pretty deadly, but what's stopping your opponent from simply retreating if you decide to advance using those special formations.

It's far more complex than it looks at first glance the balancing act that the orcs and elves undergo. Men are kept simpler, and more versatile but they don't get quite the power boost that elves and orcs get. While elves need to plan their stances ahead of time through proper scouting and require exceptional planning and timing to change stances in combat without wasting the battalion. And orcs of course are the hardest yet to fully utilize, you need to move into the proper formation for the task at hand, and then manage that fatigue. As alex pointed out - formation fatigue drain also means you can't use your other powerful abilities as often, if at all. This won't be as much of an issue with leveled battalions however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
Mechanical question:

How long does it take to assemble into formation? Are there any penalties while you are changing formations?
Right now things are in flux and subject to change, but you might be seeing a short weakened period with switching, or a fatigue cost on top of the minimum required amount. I know off the top of my head right now the elves have a few seconds after exiting their meditation before the bonuses apply. Would have to check the other races.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 04-24-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

can't wait to smash some formations
Old 04-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Those formations look awesome and really look like they will add much more depth to the gameplay and let the player maybe pull off some awesome stunts occasionally.

Very good showcase, intriguing and it feeds my eternal hunger for all things DoF.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

~Aametherar chomps on his BBQ'd elf sticks~

Grog say good good! Ork Krush, Ork Kill!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

COOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! I love the unique formations, it adds so much to the game-play! Awesome job!

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I really like the formations, though it would be nice if they were a little more relevant to the actual stances of the units involved. Once again, men have proved their normality, while orcs and elves need more microing.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
I really like the formations, though it would be nice if they were a little more relevant to the actual stances of the units involved. Once again, men have proved their normality, while orcs and elves need more microing.
Just to correct that, orcs are not microing they are macroing. Give one the order and you can give them all the very same order, it doesnt matter because they know very little about tactics. They use a tactic commonly known as horde. Which means they rather want to fight one on one inside a huge battle then formation vs formations. So basically put give orcs the charge order and let them do the rest, they are smart enough to know that running away will earn you another pike with a head on when you take over the town
Old 04-28-2010, 03:18 AM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
So basically put give orcs the charge order and let them do the rest, they are smart enough to know that running away will earn you another pike with a head on when you take over the town
But charging head long into enemies front will definitely earn you cavalry charge in your rear or flanks