Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Mouse & Keyboard Adapter for Xbox 360 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation
Default Mouse & Keyboard Adapter for Xbox 360

We've gotten the question a few times, "are you going to support keyboard and mouse" on the Xbox 360. The answer is no, however all hope is not lost. In my own search to be able to use a Playstation 2 style controller on my Xbox 360 (Xbox controllers suck horribly for fighting games such as Street Fighter IV and the upcoming Tekken 6) I came across this gem of a peripheral. It's made by company called XCM (http://www.xcm.cc) and it's called the XFPS 360. This peripheral allows you to use any USB mouse and keyboard on the Xbox 360 with no compatibility issues.

The only downside to this is that it's a fairly expensive accessory, it retails for about $65 US on a few websites and it also requires you have a wired Xbox 360 controller, this is so the unit is recognized by the console and also to program the keys and buttons on your keyboard/mouse to do the actions of the controller. So if a keyboard and mouse is really what you need to play DoF on your Xbox 360, you now are able. You can see XCM's full product description here: http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm
Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 AM

Colin has a default reputation

Huy. This is really a nice and helpful gadget & i'm expecting lot more to come.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

This accessory makes a huge leap for Video consoles versus PC. Lack of Mouse/keyboard was a major limiting factor in my opinion.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Zeluk has a default reputation

In terms of FPS's I always preferred the feel of a contoller at my fingertips. Statistically reaction times are faster as well. As far as RPG's are concerned I can play them with both mouse/keyboard and a controller but prefer contoller's from a combat perspective. When it comes to Strategy games, hands-down mouse and keyboard win everytime. There's simply far to many commands for a controller to have mapped out, and a mouse and keyboard combo doesn't have to sweat micromanagment as much.

But for the vast majority of games out there (strategy excluded), a controller works quite well. Most games don't have all that many commands that make the ease of use of a handheld controller work perfectly.

Now the reason I say all this is because I started out playing on consoles and moved my way to playing the PC. I now balance both out more or less equally, with a dozen or so years of gaming experience from both firmly under my belt. When I moved over to playing PC's the mouse and keyboard took awhile to get used to but the learning curve isn't all that bad, only when playing really weird games do I have to change up the controls to suit me. But I was startled to see the disposition that PC gamers have toward Console games and controllers in general. For the most part it seems that most hardcore PC gamers have some kind of weird phobia towards controllers. I find it odd because all it takes is the slightest hand eye coordination to learn effectively, same goes for learning the mouse and keyboard (albeit easier because of how common PC's are these days).

Again this is all from a gameplay perspective, factors like graphics and such I'm not discussing. Controller's are a simple and easy way to play games. I prefer Controllers in most games I play just not for strategy games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
This accessory makes a huge leap for Video consoles versus PC. Lack of Mouse/keyboard was a major limiting factor in my opinion.
So basically, I disagree wholeheartedly with this.

Last edited by Zeluk : 03-18-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

I understand that position completely. When I first used controllers, it took me a while to get used to them. But I tend to specialize in RTS games, while playing a FPS here and there for fun. That is why I tend to lean towards keyboard and, actually, trackball.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

wow this looks like an extremely useful accessory for hard core gamers, but what happens when you got people on the xbox 360 servers using keyboards? the guys with the controllers are gonna have a tough time competing IMO, and isnt that why they wouldnt join PC servers and Xbox servers into 1?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

For keyboard and mouse vs. a controller, the keyboard and mouse win for me. For fps games, it is much easier to aim with the mouse and movement and other thins like that are more easily done. A good PC gamer will most likely beat a good console player on an fps if they have comparable skill and experience in the game.

For rts games, it really is a silly question as to who has the advantage. The lack of hotkeys and the ability to micro most of your units much more effectively and give better macro control definitely let's the PC dominate this genre.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
For keyboard and mouse vs. a controller, the keyboard and mouse win for me. For fps games, it is much easier to aim with the mouse and movement and other thins like that are more easily done. A good PC gamer will most likely beat a good console player on an fps if they have comparable skill and experience in the game.
There are those that would argue on this point. Many people have pinpoint accuracy with controllers.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Zeluk has a default reputation

I would, and have. Really there is no point, people are entitled to their opinions even if they are biased.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:26 AM

HolyPollo has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
There are those that would argue on this point. Many people have pinpoint accuracy with controllers.
I agree. If you've been weaned on console games, you can be just as accurate with a controller as with a mouse. I think that a mouse allows you a wider range of control, especially with RTS grouping and macro but that's not to say that it's impossible to do the same with a controller. I think the real speed difference will be the obvious lack of competent RTS's on consoles. Console gamers just don't have the exposure and practice that a experienced PC gamer will have.