Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fantasy Friday XXI - The Elven Archers - Page 6 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square > Media Fair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

tim1983 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walz View Post
All Hide abilities are on a timer (fatigue drain).

Balancing the archers has been a topic of debate for some time now. We haven't reached a definite solution yet, but each arrow may be tied to a very small amount of wood - allowing them to fire for as long as the player has some wood.
i dont know if i am a fan of this.. i guess the issue i have with this is regardless if your archers are superior or you have no bonuses for them, it all comes down to the amount of wood you have in your base, plus the bonuses you get for wood gathering.. i think i am more positive over archers having a limited set of arrows.. either way, im sure i will manage
Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

I prefer archers to have unlimited wood. Otherwise the elves get a massive bonus in archery with their abilities to gather wood. Go elves BTW.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Yeah, if you have any suggestions for balancing, feel free to post them. Too many RTS games have overpowered archers, and we don't want to follow their path.

Another idea we had was to give archers a cap of x arrows with 1 arrow replenished every y seconds.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Archmage

I don't mind the idea of archers having limited arrows. I just don't want useless melee halfway through a battle. I say have each civ's way of gathering new arrows/wood be unique. I want to keep my archers I propose pick up sticks for orcs :P

Edit: in all seriousness how about giving archer units a melee weapon if they run out of arrows? I mean you could even have a "craft building" where slowly the unit is converted from archer to melee.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Orc Sect:
Goblin Raider

Daft has a default reputation

You could maybe go the route of a Battle for Middle-Earth 2 mod I used to follow....they made it where every individual arrow would do damage where ever it actually hit, as opposed to simply battalion x damage vs. battalion y hit points. That way faster units will be able to easily dodge arrow volleys, and archers will be able to potentially damage their own troops, so you'd have to take in consideration the placement of your melee-based units.

Last edited by Daft : 11-30-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 AM

jleem21 has a default reputation

Are troops controlled individually like an AoE feel or like groups like in the Medieval Series?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

BraveHeart has a default reputation

Thanks for Awnsers Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walz View Post
Another idea we had was to give archers a cap of x arrows with 1 arrow replenished every y seconds.
I like this one you need to dogde and run around for some time in order to have some arrows again hehe. Though here aswell you could have multiple batalions taking over while one batalion replenishes.

Maybe you could have a stockpile of arrows at your keep where your batalion of archers needs to move to in order to replenish their arrows. And you can upgrade this stockpile or fill it with arrows while in normal mode so if you forget to replenish your stockpile well that's a problem. Also on this way you need to get your archers off your walls wich could give the attackers some valuable time to break in. Ofcourse in the end you can have multiple batalions doing shifts but hey just an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleem21 View Post
Are troops controlled individually like an AoE feel or like groups like in the Medieval Series?
As a batalion like Rome total war or Medieval though if I am correct the elf wardens are controlled individually but the combat units will be in groops.

Greetz Brave

Last edited by BraveHeart : 12-01-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

My idea was to as alex says: Have a cap of arrows, about 30, depending on the archer unit (elves have more, Orcs have least and random amount: 20-30)

The arrows automatically regenerate slowly, maybe 1 arrow per every 5-8 seconds, time it takes to shoot off about 5 arrows. This system would also include many new archer features and controls to let the player decide when to release arrows and where to volley them over what size of an area.

Another feature would be resupply, you move a archer battalion near a archery range for humans, and your archers would refill their arrows very quickly.
Each side would have a way to replenish their arrows.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

BraveHeart has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
Another feature would be resupply, you move a archer battalion near a archery range for humans, and your archers would refill their arrows very quickly.Each side would have a way to replenish their arrows.
Yeah that's what I mean there has be an alternative way to get your ammo back for siege and Archers otherwise the units will only act as bait once their ammo reservers have been depleted. Interested in how this is going to turn out.

Greetz Brave
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Archmage

So if you had an arrow resupply building (of some sort or another) I'd like to see it have a set amount of arrows. But you could garrision villagers to create more arrows. The more you garrision the more arrows you crank out. Also a conversion building would be pretty sweet as well for changing unit types (would have to be a slow conversion)