Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS51 View Post
Yeah I'd throw Supreme commander into that mix of games as well and a game called Theatre of War.
Yes to the first one dunno about the second one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
played TW1/2, AoE1/2, 40k DoW, EE, as for the others no...

Add to that list LOTR:BFME even if they werent great, you still gotta give it a shot...

Also the Stronghold games are great Can glitch at times though (i had about 50 boatmen swim over and somehow walk through a wall and into my enemies tower and distract his forces while my assassins took out his lord... He wasnt too happy...

Age of Mythology is also worth a mention even if it uses the same engine as AoE2, it was still a great game even if tactics were minimal XD
Bfme is awesome because it got climbable walls so it is a must to play it yes, stronghold is awesome and aom is great, (got it installed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
May I add also Star Wars: Empire at War? The land battles and galactic map weren't fantastic, but the space battles were absolutely amazing.
Empire at war is not really fun but it was... Not terrible but it is good that i have played it, think i still got it installed too with that expansion, never play it though
Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS51 View Post
I played the demo but decided that it wasn't worth the price for a week or two of fun. I have to get at least 100 hours of fun out of my games or they aren't classified as fun
I play my games to the ground - I think EaW had a lot to offer, but it was built too much on a rock-paper-sciccors aspect. That limited strategy a lot to a few simple, repetitive ones.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
To be fair i would say real rts players gotta play wc3, starcraft, any Total War game, any C&C RTS, Company of Heroes, Age of empires II, warhammer 40 k DOW, Europa Universalis or a non buggy version of Hearts of Iron, Empire earth... Without all of these then you are not a real rts player then you are just A rts player
Edited to add C&C, EU, HoI, and CoH. Other games that are not needed but you SHOULD HAVE are The Guild 2, Stronghold II, SupCom1, LoTR:BFME I or II with addons, Theater of WarSins of a solar empire. But those ones in the quote MUST be played.

Edit: This thread has been drastically derailed, hasn't it?

Last edited by otomotopia : 04-08-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Yes but it's been the most entertaining user thread for quite a while
Old 04-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomotopia View Post
Edited to add C&C, EU, HoI, and CoH. Other games that are not needed but you SHOULD HAVE are The Guild 2, Stronghold II, SupCom1, LoTR:BFME I or II with addons, Theater of WarSins of a solar empire. But those ones in the quote MUST be played.

Never thought about sins but it is awesome i know. Also never played the guild well gotta get it

Also we all love to say something random or faintly related yet still very related It goes in our blood with outbursts, look at the wow chat channel when they got anal spams just as an example
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Knights of Honour deserves a mention too i think, great game and the main functions and map was just great I would NOT be disappointed if DoF world map worked similar to that of KoH, however that would be rather silly to implement as the MMORTS mode will need to house masses and each player has only a city, not a region
Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Hmm KOH was one of the best 10$ purchases I've ever made. The way the game was put together showed real forethought and ability by the game designers. I think that's why I'm so excited for DoF because of the similarities.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Yes KOH was a great game. Majesty 1 & 2 are good RTSs. Its interesting as you don't control any of you units. Anyone how hasn't played it should.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomotopia View Post

I really enjoyed sins at first but the developers ignored multiplayer in favor of singleplayer and took far too long to release proper developer tools for custom content, the one they released first was little more than a terrain editor. I played it for several months, it never attracted a good multiplayer crowd. After a few months there were only a handful of the original players still around online. I don't ever recall there being more than 400 players on at one point and after a few months it rarely peaked at 100.

And the expansions split the playerbase, they didn't let you play with those that didn't have it. While I understand why they did that, I disagree with it on a fundamental level when there was already such a small amount of people. Giving them the content but not letting them use it without the expansion key would have been a better choice.

The singleplayer was fun for a few games for me. Didn't last long since the AI wasn't very good and the editing tools still weren't released. From what I understand though, most of the crowd for this game was attracted to singleplayer, so if that's what you like, you may enjoy it. SP Rtses I usually don't consider more than training ground/storyline, but in Sins the game really was catered to SP.

BFME 1 good, 2 ehhh.

Early C&C and red alert were good, the newer games I don't much care for. Better cutscenes/storyline than gameplay nowadays for these games. I consider RA 1-2 some of my favorite games of all time.

SupCom 1 pre expansion I truly enjoyed, 2 is a huge divergence from that enjoyable game sadly. The first expansion I just didn't like the way it changed the economy and the new race had not been properly balanced yet at all. But it did make the gameplay a lot smoother, far more optimized.

Stronghold were all around interesting games.

CoH set a lot of modern standards for the rts genre.

The most important thing to add... How hasn't Total Annihilation been mentioned yet?

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

sorry there are still a few games i have not tried but wc 3 starcraft and those games are a must but you don't need to play every game possible.