Defence - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

kateros has a default reputation
Post Defence

I know that there is a thread that talked about this a little, but is it possible to build defenses inside the city.
Like if u are under attack and the enemy has a lot of cavalry u could build like spikes that would stop a charge. Iím pretty sure they did something like that in the old days.
And they also made emergency defenses just outside the city too slow any attacking force. Like burn houses so that they could not hide behind or in them.
If I where and general under attack and the enemy was inside my walls with a lot of cavalry, and my soldiers was temporarily holding them back. I would strengthen my defense.
Like I saw them talking about a map with reinforcements, then I would try to hold out until they came.
Its not like their would be defenses like that all the time, but if they included research where u would get better scouts, to spot advancing enemy forces. That would be nice.
Although I donít think it would come in the original but in an expansion pack maybe.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Humans and Elves have multiple layers of walls to their strongholds, these inner wall layers can be upgraded and more military units can be added on these walls just like you can with the outer layer.

Most Orc Strongholds only have 1 layer of walls which do have a few upgrades aswell, but the thing with the Orcs is they will still have plenty of fierce warriors inside waiting to fight among their huts, tents and buildings.

Commonly when I am being besieged ( and I am playing as Men) I bring all of my calvary to my inner keep, I will pull back my soldiers into the inner layers and abandon the outer layer to the enemy.
The enemy archers will then enter my first stronghold layer, the enemies will leave my first layer of walls and attempt to use the battering ram on my second gate of my keep, before they get the battering ram to the second gate I open the gates and charge through my enemy with my calvary closing the gates behind them.

I push the cavalry through trying to get out of the stronghold destroying all enemy siege equipment along the way, really targeting the battering rams mostly (Siege Towers and Treants do not fit through first gate and therefore can not attach to second layer of walls; long range siege equipment like Trebuchets require lots of stone and most times run out.). This is similar to lord of the rings battle of helms deep type of tactic, but its a real tactic, I have my inner keep intact and my enemy has no way of breaking down my gate, and if he even comes close to my gatehouse, I drop boiling oil on them all.

With no battering rams, my enemies must retreat from my stronghold back into their camp, at this point I can retake my outer layers and attempt to rebuild my gates in the outer layer and loot the dead enemies for resources,,, siege starts all over again.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 04-03-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

kateros has a default reputation

I just thought about that if u have time, and resources u could make a small layer of palisades just outside the wall that the enemy soldiers would have too destroy before bringing in siege towers.
I don’t know if u have seen the movie Troy (I’m not saying that it is realistic) they make quick extra defenses. To help them defend the beach.
And nice tactic.

Last edited by kateros : 04-04-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

i ubderstand what your saying and its a good idea.

Bascily he means if you get warning msg that an armys going to attack you in a month (game time) then in that month you add an extra layer of cheap wall just before your nice expensive ones like wooden stakes to help slow down infantry or prevent seige towers gaining direct access to that strech of wall and that needs to be removed before carrying on. I like the idea of this but for me it would make defending so much easier and will overpower archers in defences, no matter what the dammage ratio, thus making them a preety pointless unit in open warfare.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

You could try my tactic, i am one of those who excel at defending at some points. For instance the tactic i always use on medieval 2 total war i have a lot of archers and stuff on the outer walls and all my melee units and riders are inside the second wall. What i do is that i pound the enemy heavily with a lot of arrow rains (i got one or two melee infantry platoons at the outer wall aswell) then i play the retreat, and just to make sure my archers live to fire another hundred volleys i sacrifice two melee platoons, and then i got all i need to kill the enemy. Their soldiers already suffer some heavy causalities and moral losses, and even if they are superior to me in numbers i always manage to take them down with this tactic. Hell i have even managed to take down 4 opponents with me and another one, i used this tactic while the other one sacrificed everything at the outer walls. I had elite units waiting inside the last walls and just barely managed to kill them all off but it really worked wonders So i will ALWAYS use more walls for every wall i have i gotta sacrifice a bunch of melee soldiers for the sake of killing more enemies... TRY IT (you may not get it perfectly at once but just wait and see perhaps you manage to pull it off once or twice after practicing some time )
Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

However, I think it might work if the defender was allowed to place some defenses, like a short row of abatis, or [pit traps - which we know orcs have] etc anywhere on their City RTS map - anytime they want. This would make sense, especially if there was a limit to how many of these "petty" defenses could be constructed or maintained.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Hmm i really like the ideas but it depends how expansive the wall system is in this. if as described you can only build walls on set plots and ion set designs then it may not be possible? (dev please tell me if this is so :P) but aside from that all thoose tactics would work. I would say mine but im going to leave that for when im playing it for real, and then i will probably comment. But it does do wonders
Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

we should make tactics guide However i am not sure how to explain mine perfectly but i could do so using M2tw its just too bad i don't have it anymore Well i guess rise and fall can play that role too but it won't work there as there is no need for tactics just attack with all you got
Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

You cant really start making up tacs now, not untill you get the gyst of the game. This game looks to me different from other RTS' so i cannot really work a tac on AoE3, BFME2 ect.. and expect them to work here, thats far too easy.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshie View Post
You cant really start making up tacs now, not untill you get the gyst of the game. This game looks to me different from other RTS' so i cannot really work a tac on AoE3, BFME2 ect.. and expect them to work here, thats far too easy.
Though I am sure that many of those tactics will still apply. While some are created to take advantage of elements within those particular games, others are functional and useful in them because they are in real life. It is this group of tactics that will be applicable in DoF. I think I might make a list of them. I like the sound of it : "Sound Strategies for the Conquest of Mythador, by Negthareas".