Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Hmm mmorts? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I think actual time, assuming you are on regularly. Obviously a clueless morgan might take 4 years, and find himself dead without an alliance and no firends.

I definitely thing he meant real-time.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

I think he meant realtime too. 4 months for the casual gamer, 1 month for the dude on 30+ hours a week.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Vind has a default reputation

Well if you take into account some other games that have research things (eve comes to mind) then you just select what you want to research and leave it researching

As for building stuff I guess that depends on the resources available and resources you have. When you run out of resources the building stops. Also would be cool if there is something like worker happiness if they have food they build stuff faster.
Plenty of options but since i don't know much about this system this is all my speculation.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Noxeros has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
Server stuff I can't answer yet, it'll be revealed at a later date. Building/training/teching times will all be quite long, we've tossed numbers ranging between 1-4 months to complete all research for example. Unlike browser games however, there's actual combat. It's not just two stacks of numbers and varying amounts of RNG influence. There's more to do in our game than just building up your city, though it'll be a fun aspect no doubt to see your city grow and evolve.
Monthly fee or onetime pay for the game?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

one time pay...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

One time pay with pay for downloadable content and other extras.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Yeah if the DLC is pretty sweet I'd love to buy it just don't break my piggy back eh?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vind View Post
Well if you take into account some other games that have research things (eve comes to mind) then you just select what you want to research and leave it researching

As for building stuff I guess that depends on the resources available and resources you have. When you run out of resources the building stops. Also would be cool if there is something like worker happiness if they have food they build stuff faster.
Plenty of options but since i don't know much about this system this is all my speculation.
Buildings take all the resources they need before building, they do not drain resources like it supreme commander. If a house is 50 wood, you build one, it takes 50 wood, forget about it it will be built eventually.

One more thing you guys have to consider is this game is very persistent, buildings, walls, resouces, research they all still continue to procces after you log out (at a slower rate) for a few hours after signing out; if you build a few houses late at night, then sign off, go to bed, come back in the morning, they will be complete or nearly complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS51 View Post
Yeah if the DLC is pretty sweet I'd love to buy it just don't break my piggy back eh?
Players that play alot most likely wont have to buy DLC with real money, they can use Wealth (which is earned very slowly beating human players, completing quests etc.).

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
One more thing you guys have to consider is this game is very persistent, buildings, walls, resouces, research they all still continue to procces after you log out (at a slower rate) for a few hours after signing out; if you build a few houses late at night, then sign off, go to bed, come back in the morning, they will be complete or nearly complete.
That's incredibly cheap, in my opinion. You can get resources and build buildings while logged out, but can't be attacked? I could queue all my buildings and tech without being on, and hypothetically log in the middle of being informed that I'll be under attack, and not loose my units or even have to fight? That encourages expoitive behavior, and maybe even cause attackers to NOT have any players to fight.

Considering players can have the AI available to defend their territory, I think that scrapping the "Not being able to be attacked when not logged" is a good plan, just let the AI take over. Set a unit queue like in Sup Com before you log. Moderators will have to deal with some whining, but a LOT less then people having no one (RE: no Players) to fight.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomotopia View Post
That's incredibly cheap, in my opinion. You can get resources and build buildings while logged out, but can't be attacked? I could queue all my buildings and tech without being on, and hypothetically log in the middle of being informed that I'll be under attack, and not loose my units or even have to fight? That encourages expoitive behavior, and maybe even cause attackers to NOT have any players to fight.

Considering players can have the AI available to defend their territory, I think that scrapping the "Not being able to be attacked when not logged" is a good plan, just let the AI take over. Set a unit queue like in Sup Com before you log. Moderators will have to deal with some whining, but a LOT less then people having no one (RE: no Players) to fight.
Firstly, it's pretty easy to make it so you auto-forfeit if you log out before/during an attack. Second, there can be added a set amount of time you have to be on before it counts as being on towards persistence. So set that for an hour, if you don't stay on for an hour then you do not gain any persistent gathering/building etc. And if you do play for more than an hour, then 1-2 hours of reduced productivity, say half, then 2-4 more of around a quarter productivity perhaps. These numbers are just examples but they should illustrate the point. AI isn't the best option, it'll never be as good as a player unless we make it cheat which just causes a myriad of other problems.

We're putting a lot of thought into how we'll do this, and we'll be adjusting it during beta if need be. We wouldn't let something so easy to exploit live long in beta, much less on live. Not being attack-able while offline will be minimally exploitable, and it's an important feature. Most people don't want to lose everything just because they can't play for a day, and with only being able to rely on AI... They would.

TLDR: We won't allow players to dodge fights without a very steep penalty, we've already outlined this in other posts how the surrender/fight options will work. And we certainly won't allow people an effective way to play and be productive while impervious to attack, conflict is part of the game.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.