Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Arrow tracking? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM

Rvjobje has a default reputation
Default Arrow tracking?

When archers shoot will the arrows track enemy units? So will it always hit?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Nope. Arrows can miss since they are fired at a group of men/orcs/elves also the shields that are carried should be able to block arrows and formations themselves will give bonuses or penalties vs arrow fire.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Right - the further the enemy is from the archers, the less arrows will hit. That is the general rule I think. Archers fire en masse [barrage]. There is very little of this "pinpoint" sniper-shooting that you see in LOTR movies or others like Robin Hood. That is very unrealistic. Archers are your standard, run-of-the-mill soldier with a bow and some arrows. Hence the barrage.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Archmage

Right I always figured that actually landing an arrow on the enemies battle line was to be considered a success as opposed to sniping them off. Think RTW with arrow barraging.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

I wish there was ever a game that could do both Like having groups that can take down large groups and stuff without having too many casualities or groups of easily trained low costing archers with a thing for covering the ground with arrows Hopefully there will be a little bit of both in this game Also then the ambushes would be rather bad for the ambushed, however if properly discovered and surrounded it can be very bad for the ambushers Hence scouting is a more active part of the game
Old 03-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Arrows in this game use advanced trajectory systems, arrows will be shot realistically in an arc (unless close i guess). This means arrows have the potential to miss if the target moves, however i think it also means that an arrow could miss a target but hit another behind it...

Yes think of barrages of arrows... That is exactly what archers will be...
Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Archers won't always hit in this game. It's going to be more realistic in the fact that from a couple hundred yards away, an archer won't kill everyone with pinpoint accuracy. Barrages of arrows will be shot at your units by large groups of units, not all of them will hit, but many will if your units are grouped together.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
Archers won't always hit in this game. It's going to be more realistic in the fact that from a couple hundred yards away, an archer won't kill everyone with pinpoint accuracy. Barrages of arrows will be shot at your units by large groups of units, not all of them will hit, but many will if your units are grouped together.
Does that mean that all arrows hit and kill when they are ten feet away? That would mean total decimation of the enemy army if there are archers on the frontlines That would mean elves are superior to every other (or does it? think about the low numbers of the elves against an bow based army of orcs who do you think will win with a one hit kill?)
Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
Does that mean that all arrows hit and kill when they are ten feet away? That would mean total decimation of the enemy army if there are archers on the frontlines That would mean elves are superior to every other (or does it? think about the low numbers of the elves against an bow based army of orcs who do you think will win with a one hit kill?)
We've never said arrows kill units in one hit.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Archmage

Well consider the ratio of orcs to elves is like 20/1 or even 10 to one it would be interesting but now we now. No more 1 hit kills. Unless a catapault.