Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Moats, Tunneling - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

Lord_Itzalak has a default reputation
Default Moats, Tunneling

I did not read anything in the "how to build a wall" section about moats. Several upgrades were mentioned about fortifying walls, but this was not...the only game I ever played with a moat was Lords of the Realm II. I don't know if adding this would be unlikely due to the impenetrable castle syndrome that you are trying to avoid, but I would like to see a moat upgrade.

A second thought is that also I remember reading that armies often sent tunnelers underneath walls to weaken them and induce a collapsing. And the besieged enemy sent counter tunnelers. I have NEVER seen this in a game. Could this perhaps be the poor man's way into the castle?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Itzalak View Post
I did not read anything in the "how to build a wall" section about moats. Several upgrades were mentioned about fortifying walls, but this was not...the only game I ever played with a moat was Lords of the Realm II. I don't know if adding this would be unlikely due to the impenetrable castle syndrome that you are trying to avoid, but I would like to see a moat upgrade.

A second thought is that also I remember reading that armies often sent tunnelers underneath walls to weaken them and induce a collapsing. And the besieged enemy sent counter tunnelers. I have NEVER seen this in a game. Could this perhaps be the poor man's way into the castle?

Heh, Lords of the Realm II. I don't know if any of the other devs played that, it was one of my favorites though. I have the CD and it's case sitting on my desk right now, have a DoS emulator for it. Was a fun game, and yeah moats were fantastic. I don't really think something like either of those things are possible though. The tunneling to collapse a wall MAYBE, moats would just alter the gameplay too much I think. But it's not something I would work on so perhaps I'm wrong, it's certainly an interesting idea.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

There was a screenshot of a human city surrounded by a river. Also, in rome total war at least, you could sap the walls, which is very similar to "tunneling."

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

For me sapping the walls or just weakening them would not be so fun, as it is to make a tunnel straight in and take the enemy by surprise
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Just like Stronghold
I know that you can use natural features (like a river) to your own advantage for a quasi-moat effect. Other than that I don't think you can dig your own moats. I doubt on the tunnelling front either - something for the Dwarves in the next edition, mayhap?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I think being able to construct moats is a good idea, but there would have to be units designed to counter them. At this point in the game, I believe all of the units are set, right? It's too late to be asking the guys in Reverie to be pulling new units out of their hats.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I remeber one screen where a castle was on an island type of thing and there was a bridge across a moat to the front gate, however, I don't know if that would classify as a moat due to the fact that there wouldn't be a drawbridge.

Thanks

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
I remeber one screen where a castle was on an island type of thing and there was a bridge across a moat to the front gate, however, I don't know if that would classify as a moat due to the fact that there wouldn't be a drawbridge.

Thanks
I think that was the screenshot I was trying to remember. There were also several towers on the other side of the moat or river or whatever that had bridges connecting to the walls. That would be one thing to help balance it out and not make siege towers useless if attacking that sort of castle.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

when i am to design my village i will definitely chose the ones with rivers if i can!Hopefully a river with only one bridge i love water inside or outside the castle doesn't matter as long as it stops the enemy i would love to have moats too tough i love the river thing more
Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

massenic has fair reputation

And I'll just surround your castle, poison the water and wait until you die!

I'm having mixed feeling about having moats. It sure sounds cool to have them, but it's dangerous to make castles just so strong that they can't be conquered anymore.

And having them would change a lot in the player's tactics so don't know if the dev's still have time now for something like this.