Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fantasy Friday XVIII - Battalion Formations - Page 6 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square > Media Fair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

The lazers would be quicker traveling than the bullets and arrows so i dont see why not, but instead of knocking the lazers off target they would just disentergrate the bullet/arrows
Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
Hey now, don't go into absurdities. Ever seen star wars? It is clear that the jedi can only block laser shots. They can not block things from the ancient times... however they can block futuristic weapons, i mean i bet the jedi's would all die if you brought along an m16 and started shooting on one of those battlefields
For the record, their weapons are ancient. It's a long time ago, after all

But back to the matter at hand: My personal opinion is that there should be an evasion chance for arrows, and bit of blocking chance when the unit has a shield, not just evade and mitigate.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
I suppose the way I wrote it wasn't clear - attack rating and defense is for melee determining if you hit. For ranged attack rating determines spread and defense does nothing. You cannot parry arrows :P
Lol of course thanks for clearing that up hehe silly me

This game does indeed look quite deep and no battle will be the same
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

I have seen in movies ppl parrying arrows with stick or sword or even in one kung fu movie also bullets =). Beside some ppl also catch arrows, with hands that, are shot directly at them. So never say never i guess =P and its also fantasy ... everything is possible =).

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
I have seen in movies ppl parrying arrows with stick or sword or even in one kung fu movie also bullets =). Beside some ppl also catch arrows, with hands that, are shot directly at them. So never say never i guess =P and its also fantasy ... everything is possible =).
Those are movies, and are rather silly too, a well-shot arrow will go faster than sound so you can't hear it coming, and will also move too quickly for anyone to parry it. Same thing with bullets.

I've seen somebody catch an arrow too, but it was straight at him and wasn't going even one-third of the speed a real arrow would be coming at him if the archer was trying to kill him.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

It's significantly easier to 'catch' an arrow on a shield. IMO, elves should have a naturally higher chance of avoiding arrow damage, with orca having natural improvement on peircing, melée damage, and parry, and men having a better blocking chance (with a slight increase) in parry), to mimic most lore.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
Those are movies, and are rather silly too, a well-shot arrow will go faster than sound so you can't hear it coming, and will also move too quickly for anyone to parry it. Same thing with bullets.

I've seen somebody catch an arrow too, but it was straight at him and wasn't going even one-third of the speed a real arrow would be coming at him if the archer was trying to kill him.
I would agree with everything you said except an arrow doesn't hit anywhere as fast as the speed of sound. I think the average speed of an arrow is around 100 mph(160 kph) give or take. The speed of sound is around 750+ mph.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I thought that sounded a little screwy. Still - catch 'n' fire tests have been done. Thought these were probably done with low speed arrows, and low pound bows.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Liljagare has a default reputation

Hey now, I've seen martial artists block arrows.. not on TV, but in real life..

My Kendo teacher is able to nick arrows fired from a bone-bow coming at him straight on, and side fired..

Though, the freak is 82 and has practiced his entire life..

Sort of like those combat artists that seem to defy logic, hit before the punch is thrown, because they've trained the body to reflex before the signal hit's the brain.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljagare View Post
Hey now, I've seen martial artists block arrows.. not on TV, but in real life..

My Kendo teacher is able to nick arrows fired from a bone-bow coming at him straight on, and side fired..

Though, the freak is 82 and has practiced his entire life..

Sort of like those combat artists that seem to defy logic, hit before the punch is thrown, because they've trained the body to reflex before the signal hit's the brain.
Sure, but we're not dealing with 82 year old humans, are we? We're dealing with presumably 20-30 year old fighting men, trained for 5 years, or Huge, brutish orcs (Or skinny goblins), or elves (Who are probably better at it then the other three).