Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fantasy Friday XVIII - Battalion Formations - Page 4 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square > Media Fair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Now, do melee units have a chance to miss as well? I apologize if this has already been asked, I don't always remember.

Thanks

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
Now, do melee units have a chance to miss as well? I apologize if this has already been asked, I don't always remember.

Thanks
I believe they do although the accuracy is pretty high if i remember rightly, if they had no miss chance why would the stance (cant remember which) provide accuracy bonus?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:

Thanks
Not only do they have an accuracy rating, but also a parry and block rating, or maybe just the parry one. I'm not sure either.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I think that the orc formations should be weakened.

Reasons:

- orcs units are cheap and can be made en masse.
- it would follow the heiarchy better - elves have strongest formations, humans have good formations, orcs [shoud have] weakest formations.

I just think it makes more sense.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Elite Member

sneaky_squirrel has good reputation

Orcs have not weak but less organized formations, and even orcs are sentient beings as well, so it makes sense for them to have a "Rally up - courageous" formation.

Plus their formations already drain their stamina, I am pretty sure they have balanced them already.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
I think that the orc formations should be weakened [...]
Orc formations are dramatically different from the others.

Men have formations which are used to counter certain unit types.
Orcs have 'Stands' which temporarily greatly increase a unit's strengths and and increases its weaknesses (they are temporary because they drain stamina and turn off once stamina gets too low).
Elves have combat styles which give quite big changes to units, largely changing their strengths and giving no weaknesses. But these combat styles are hard to switch between.

So as you see, it's not something one can easily compare as you did, with strongest>middle>weakest.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
So theoretically... The elves have the least adaptability to a situation unless they already know the enemies forces and are able to prepare for them...

Mid-battle they may be surprised by reinforcements to the enemy and are trapped in the wind formation whereas really they would be best in the rock formation...

The elves it seems will require far more planning than other races, their units are fewer and more expensive, its possible they could get overrun... Their battle plans must be made in good time before a battle, they will have a lower adaptability in the battle.

Also i have a question... How does the sneak ability work? Is it button click then unlimited invisibility (probably with speed reduction) until they strike a unit?
I think that it should be very short time, probably 10 seconds, and if they are close to the front of enemies they should be partially visible...
Oh and if the arrow trajectory system is as highly advanced as i suspect, is it possible that even sneaking enemies could be hit by stray arrows shot at other battallions?
Their lack of flexibility is balanced by two things - they're generally going to be the best at what they do. And keep in mind, only the elves have hide. No other race has the ability to scout as well as the elves, which means played properly they'll have more than enough time to switch formations. And we'll toy with some various things to give them some small changes, I've considered with the idea of making elven formations fully heal/recharge fatigue after completing a formation swap, but taking increased damage during it. So you could retreat weakened formations, and change their combat style then move them back in sort of thing.

The mechanics of hide are subject to change, but right now it drains fatigue while moving, and until you hit 0 fatigue remains active unless you attack.

Quote:

Thanks
Defense VS attack rating decides if an attack hits in melee. Attack rating determines accuracy of ranged (the spread)

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 03-21-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
The mechanics of hide are subject to change, but right now it drains fatigue while moving, and until you hit 0 fatigue remains active unless you attack.

Defense VS attack rating decides if an attack hits in melee. Attack rating determines accuracy of ranged (the spread)

The hide mechanics seem reasonable That means that stationary battalions could be VERY effective ambushes... Wow that will be so lethal...

Defense is basically evasion then? The units then get armour ratings?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
The hide mechanics seem reasonable That means that stationary battalions could be VERY effective ambushes... Wow that will be so lethal...

Defense is basically evasion then? The units then get armour ratings?
Yes, units also have armor ratings. I'm quite sure it affects the damage it takes, I don't know what else it could affect, really.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Okay - things looking good -no great! for battalions. Good job, Devs!