Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fantasy Friday XVII - Homelands of Teria - Page 4 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square > Media Fair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where do you plan to build your first human settlement?
Southmont 30 33.71%
The Rollingplain 11 12.36%
The Wold 21 23.60%
Don't make me laugh - I would never stoop low enough to command the inferior race of man! 27 30.34%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Looks to me like options are:

Turtle, with very few minuses (probably why so many picked them) but also no extreme bonuses short of their defensive terrain. I figure a lot picked this one since those planning to go humans were already in the mindset of being a turtle.

Then:

Devastating cavalry and fast moving armies for aggressive tactical players with a lot of minuses, but the positive being potentially massive to the tactical player.

and last but not least:

A mix of turtle/aggressor a slower moving army with the ability to defend itself from heavy cavalry armies with the right tactics. Also having the ability to move in for a heavy siege, and has the archers to defend it's own battlements.

All in all a very nice looking mix, personally i'd go for the cavalry, I don't see many armies doing too well against extra fast moving cavalry harassing them constantly (of course I picked the bottom one anyways, goo Orc!). This was an amazing FF, I am dying to see Orc homelands now!

Last edited by Aametherar : 03-13-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
Looks to me like options are:

Turtle, with very few minuses (probably why so many picked them) but also no extreme bonuses short of their defensive terrain. I figure a lot picked this one since those planning to go humans were already in the mindset of being a turtle.

Then:

Devastating cavalry and fast moving armies for aggressive tactical players with a lot of minuses, but the positive being potentially massive to the tactical player.

and last but not least:

A mix of turtle/aggressor a slower moving army with the ability to defend itself from heavy cavalry armies with the right tactics. Also having the ability to move in for a heavy siege, and has the archers to defend it's own battlements.

All in all a very nice looking mix, personally i'd go for the cavalry, I don't see many armies doing too well against extra fast moving cavalry harassing them constantly (of course I picked the bottom one anyways, goo Orc!). This was an amazing FF, I am dying to see Orc homelands now!
Yeah Thats why I choose Wold, as I am a mix defense and offense. The wold players seem like the ones to attack the southmount players with their heavy siege equipment and good archers.

I agree, I want to see the orcs and elves homeland.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 03-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

I am a über fan of pikies thus the world was the obvious choice
Old 03-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

Yeah-the extra negatives of the plains region makes it look bad on paper, but cavalry could very well be a pivotal aspect of combat. A good cavalry charge could turn the tide of a battle tettering on the edge of a cliff.

I do like the Wold region as well though, which makes me think that if I make a second human city, I'll make it in the Wold region to try it out.

To be honest, I think movement speed is more important for cavalry than stats. Cavalry are meant to be a hit-and-run type unit for the most part-in hand to hand, an enemy could get pikemen in to close for comfort, and calvary lose their prolific trample ability up close and personal.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

On paper, Rollingplain doesn't look quite as good as the others because it has so many detractors. I suspect that the better cavalry will amount to much more than we think right now and will dominate the battlefield when used correctly. Rollingplain is also on the frontier against the elves, that's also why everyone is too scared to build their city there.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Looks like we`ll need boost Rollingplain a bit.
We are making them best wheat farmers, as well as superior to Southmount with gold mining and deposits. Now Rollingplain players will be able to feed the rest of Teria, and use the gold to buy anything they like from other provinces.

Personally Rollingplain is my favorite atm. I love controlling large cavalry forces, mixed with heavy infantry (also Rollginplain`s strong points) And Rollingplain is right next to both Elven, Orcish and Dragon realms - so I can raid any race I like, and withdraw my armies back to the safety quickly. I did miss having large ranged armies (I chopped most of "few" trees in my homeland in the first day and they are bloody slow to grow back) - but long distance trading is an easy remedy for this. Mine gold, and buy all the archers and trebuchets you want at Thorndale, Wold region. IF you want huge walls - could be done as well - mass wheat farm, collect food, sell food at Dagbor during winter (they pay the most I think 1.7 gold during summer, and 2.5 during winter) - and bring back caravans loaded with stone.

Last edited by Konstantin Fomenko : 03-13-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

And to address the problem of overpopulation - if too many players will flood south-mount, we`ll start offering gold and free-units incentives for players settling in less-populated regions.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
And to address the problem of overpopulation - if too many players will flood south-mount, we`ll start offering gold and free-units incentives for players settling in less-populated regions.
Then maybe I will start in southmount!

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

Its nice to know about your plans to try and reduce overcrowded areas, Im glad one devolper has saw this problem and started to act. For me i see it more like Wold area bouns'/troops>Rolling plain Bouns'/troops>southmont bonus'/troops> Wold ext ext. They all look so pleasing but for me i want the option for good defence and still be able to go outside and not get obliverated by carverly. I think this is what people have to look at as well, It's all good being a turtle but when you want to go out because your city state is the best at everything i would want to go out and destroy someone just for a laugh, but turtling means that your offence will struggle against none turtlers in tactics and in recouses.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

^That's an example of the balancing factor between Southmont and Rollingplain. Rollingplain's forts can be attacked successfully from pretty much any direction but their cavalry will help stop a siege before it starts. Wold is definitely balanced, and I think Rollingplain may be more balanced than we think. I do believe that Rollingplain needs a couple specific boosts to something other than food and cavalry, because cavalry aren't exactly the most useful troop type in sieges. Maybe give them better trebuchets or something because they have to build them more efficiently due to a lack of wood.

Right now, I simply can't imagine failing to defend my city against a plains player. Their archer's significant debuffs will definitely hurt them on both the sieging and defending side of things. Then again, we can't really judge. It sounds like the Devs like Rollingplains alot, and they're the only ones who've played it, so if they think it's balanced, I'll be the last to argue. I do like the anti-overcrowding methods that they're planning to use is things get bad, although it looks like a hefty sum of players will choose Wold. As to those who chose the last option- I shan't speak to you!

Last edited by Swift sword : 03-13-2010 at 01:12 PM.