Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Call me "Z", everyone does. - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square > Traveler Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Zeluk has a default reputation
Default Call me "Z", everyone does.

Well for starters, I have never played an MMORTS before. Heard way to many bad things about them, but DoF looks like it might make it. Played a bunch of RTS's, for every good one there seems to be a dozen bad ones. My favorite RTS has got to be the Total War (if one could truly classify it as one) and the AoE series. Although Dawn of War isn't that bad.

Never played any of them online in skirmishes in length, because I usually get rushed and floored within a few minutes so I don't generally enjoy it. I mean who enjoys losing?

My style of play is usually a boomer one where I build up a strong economy and fighting force to overwhelm my opponents. I've played strategy games my entire life ranging from Chess, Risk, and Axis and Allies to the above mentioned RTS's. I've read Art of War and several other essays by various General's and like to think I understand the bulk of it. For RTS's my one problem is that I'm usually not fast enough to keep up with the others. I get rushed and generally don't survive very long. I like long drawn out games, rather then ones that are decided within the first 3-5mins with the rest of the game being mop up.

I plan on playing the Elves mainly but may dabble in the other races. I'll start a guild when the game comes out and I see what kind of support the game has for them, probably with whoever is my immediate neighbor and most likely only with other elves.

Well that's me in a nutshell, time to troll the forums.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Hi Z, call me "A" everyone does. Anyways I've played all those too, I think Total war is more of a turn based than real time, although it does have a nice mix of both, too many elements ruined the turn based part for me. Not enough freedom.

As for building up, and enjoying big battles i'm the same way. I used to dominate no rush x minute games. I love that style. So I am like you in a way, but as much as I hate it I have adapted to play a very quick style RTS for online gaming. There are ways to hold out and play a mean game without a highly aggressive strategy but it is generally much more difficult, and requires a highly skilled teammate.

That being said welcome, and I hope this one has enough long term no rush for you. I think the MMO mode might be just the thing in that regard.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Thanks for replying, A.

Yeah I probably could have forced myself to adapt but it would have taken a half dozen games of trial and error to get the hang of it. All the while getting pounded by leet speaking zerg idiots (which was my first ever online skirmish game). I just have to much fun wiping the floor with the PC's. I think the MMO aspect of the game is really what attracted me to it. I'm fairly sure we'll all be given plenty of time between skirmishes and sieges to build up our Cities and Army.

Look forward to seeing you on the field.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

That's okay you can always pay me for protection. Heheh just playing..Or am I? ...elves... I'm different, I pick up things by watching rather than doing so 1 replay and I can repeat any strategy an enemy uses and refine it to my own style. So I tend to learn fast with RTS's. I do understand though I used to stomp AI, even a full game vs insane computers in Starcraft for example, but when I first went online I got destroyed so bad it wasn't even funny. In any case hit me up in game, you being elf and me being orc. I really have no issue with no rush games. I quite enjoy amassing armies.

Oh, and check out my post in the pub for an elven User Bar.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

I may take you up on that offer (the game offer not the protection). Orc you say? You may end up being my arch nemesis, we could have some good times ahead of us.

As for your post I'll do just that.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:11 AM
Elite Member

raving is someone to look uptoraving is someone to look upto

you all can call me "god"!

but welcome to the forum
Old 03-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

Quote:
I've played strategy games my entire life ranging from Chess, Risk, and Axis and Allies
Looks like you and I will get along just fine, Z. Risk, despite its complete unrealisticness, is still a great simple game. Chess, I would play a lot, but I can't seem to find any people to play with most of the time . Axis and Allies, I am planning on making this my next board game purchase. BTW what edition would you recommend (assuming you have some knowledge on the subject)? I'm leaning toward Pacific 1940 and eventually Europe 1940 as well. Mainly because it's the only one that has ANZACs as a single power. Us Aussies get left out so often .

Welcome to the DoF forums is the only other thing that I can think of to say for now. Enjoy yourself!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Hello Z and welcome =)

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raving View Post
you all can call me "god"!

but welcome to the forum
Dear god, please don't smite me. I promise I do my best to follow most of your commandments...most of the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
Looks like you and I will get along just fine, Z. Risk, despite its complete unrealisticness, is still a great simple game. Chess, I would play a lot, but I can't seem to find any people to play with most of the time . Axis and Allies, I am planning on making this my next board game purchase. BTW what edition would you recommend (assuming you have some knowledge on the subject)? I'm leaning toward Pacific 1940 and eventually Europe 1940 as well. Mainly because it's the only one that has ANZACs as a single power. Us Aussies get left out so often .

Welcome to the DoF forums is the only other thing that I can think of to say for now. Enjoy yourself!
Well me and my friends bought a used version of the old school original (most of the pieces were still there). It's been fun so far my only advice is that it takes an insane amount of time to play, so don't have anything planned for at least 4-6 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
Hello Z and welcome =)
Hello, and thank you Kire.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

Hello Welcome to the forums, i will just butt in on your conversation and say i am born an fps player, trained in rts, busy with rpg. The first game i ever really liked was the first heroes of might and magic, the series i played for the most time is red alert. The game i have played for the most time is warcraft 3, and i am a turtle. Build up and then tank/cavalry rush, always work. My favorite strategy game in combat is stormrise however its damned hard. So if any of you got stormrise, rome total war/barbarian invasion or any of these following games just tell me if you want to play.

Eve
Battle grounds 2 (the mod)
empires (the mod)
ww1 source (the mod)
cs source
or perhaps cod 4
Thats all the games i can play you on (tough stormrise is console)

It would be fun to play against someone