Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fantasy Friday XXVI - State of Development - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square > Media Fair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation
Default Fantasy Friday XXVI - State of Development

FANTASY FRIDAY XXVI
State of Development Developer Blog

Hey all. We're be taking a break from the new media this week to address the many questions we've been dodging lately. So hopefully this post will get everyone up to date and provide some standardized answers as well as provide you with some updates regarding where we are in the development process. We'll be sending this out in an email newsletter as well, so hopefully everyone will be up to speed. We appreciate your patience with the delays and hope that you will find comfort in what's written below.

The Beta
The question everyone’s been asking – when is the beta? I know we’ve been kind of dodging this question lately as we haven’t been able to provide a clear answer. Fortunately, it’s not far off. We did have to delay it for a couple publisher requests, but we’re back on track and our Media Head, Danny Vink, is currently setting up the beta forums. Game-wise, we’re ready for the beta and are looking forward to hearing your input. All we’re waiting on is for the completion of our custom Game Updater, a tool which will allow testers to effortlessly update their build as our testers work to provide fixes for any reported bugs.

At the very latest, you can expect the first closed beta stage to be sent out by the end of May; however, don’t be surprised if it comes much sooner. There won’t be a long wait between the first and second and the second and third beta stages either, so it really won’t be much longer now.

The Publisher
Admittedly, we’ve been going back and forth on this one a bit. I still can’t provide too many details, but we have had some new offers lately and we’re weighing the benefits of each. We have some office visits scheduled for the end of May, which is where we’ll be able to get the clearest offer and meet the publisher executives first-hand. After that, it shouldn’t be too much longer until we sign a deal and then we’ll be able to make an announcement as soon as the publisher issues a press release.

The Current Build
We’re wrapping up a new build milestone, centered around the completion of the new single-player game mode, which we will formally announce as soon as the finishing touches are in place. We’ve done a couple more waves of Quality Assurance and we are starting to fine-tune unit statistics. From a level design perspective, we have wrapped up and begun implementing three brand new towns, with a fourth shaping up nicely. The Dwarven Caves are complete and the Dragon Realm of Sssilistra is looking very promising. We also have a number of modified environments for the new game mode. Our Writers have been busy finalizing the late-game MMORTS quests. The Elven and Orc quests are complete while the Human quests will be finished within the next couple of days. We also have a new Bug Tracker script which will make it easier for beta testers to report bugs, as well as several minor tweaks and updates to gameplay.

Expanding Reverie World Studios
To compensate for the time lost on a couple new features and publisher requests, I’m proud to announce that we are in the process of expanding Reverie World Studios, which will more than make up for any time lost. Most notably, we’ve worked out plans with a couple nearby colleges to enlist a number of new art interns. Despite their relative inexperience, we have seen a lot of talent in the many applications we have received, and we know that you won’t be disappointed in the end result when you may get to see some of their artwork in-game. We have six art intern interviews scheduled for next week, and may have a couple more after that, so as soon as we get our new modelers, animators, and texture artists, we’ll be able to whip out those dragon and dwarven mercenaries and start revamping several of the current game textures and models to make everything look fantastic while keeping lag at a minimum. We hope that some of these interns will stay with Reverie World Studios after their internships have ended.

On a smaller scale, we’ve revamped our Level Design and Game Design departments by rehiring three developers who were instrumental early on in the Dawn of Fantasy development process. We’re also in the process of hiring a Public Relations Assistant intern, who we hope may sign with Reverie World in the future.

Events
Today marks the end of the Facebook referral contest, so I hope you all took advantage of that if you wanted a beta key. I’d also like to thank everyone for their support as we approach 350 Facebook fans. If you haven’t already, please check out our page and become a fan! This will be our last major contest for a while but we will have a couple once the first beta launches for both the current testers and those still wanting to get into a later stage.

If you haven’t seen it already, be sure to watch our latest trailer, a short preview of the Online Mode created by Danny and Konstantin. It’s a great watch and provides footage of all the features we’ve discussed in previous Fantasy Fridays – such as formations, the unit GUI, army camps, NPC interaction, etc.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Yay! This is awesome, that's a lot of info, direct and straight forward, it's awesome to see solid answers and just get a feel of where everything is. All in all it seems to be shaping up nicely. Just amazing, not sure what else to say, great accomplishment! *tries hard to not jump up and down like a crazed goblin*

Old 05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation

Hope you get a publisher. Kinda about time now
Old 05-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami-Yagari View Post
Hope you get a publisher. Kinda about time now
A? Pfft I hope they get multiple, for different areas of the globe (=

Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

I was hoping they would put some art internships on the forum. I'm getting toward the end of my college career and would have signed up right away for one.

Well, Its good to hear that the beta is starting soon. I'm on break in 2 weeks, so hopefully it will be around then.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 05-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Orc Sect:
Beastrider

LoveToKill is just above average reputation

Glad to hear that the beta is drawing quite near i figurede it would be released sometime soon after the 14th :x, To all youfortuinate enough to be in the beta Congrats idk if we will be able to follow your progress in closed Beta but non the lessi wish you all luck and i hope thatyou guys can clear the bugs as quickly as possiable, that way when open runs around i can show you some love. I look foward to any guides yall may make aswell.

For the Devs allthough i've known some what of DOF for a couple of years and just recentlyona whim registered for fourms gota say its one of my better decisions im glad i remembered the name My friends onvent are looking foward to this aswell. Honestly yallhave done a marvolus job (im not good at spellin i kno) and i honestly cansay at this moment im gladyou all stuck with Dawn of fantasy It's the only gameive been looking foward to since i found out all the juicy details of the game. Anyway in short please pass my thanks to the entire team.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

THANK YOU THANK YOU, This information is great, Im actually happy you didnt put media, this thread is so much better
Old 05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Thanks for the update guys. Much appreciated. Go with the publisher that offers the most money! So long as it's not the ones we gamers love to hate ><. Looking forward to that 2nd beta round to get my lil' hands on that beta.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

Excellent update! I agree- this was very good news, and at this point better then the media we've been getting. Excellent, excellent news.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomotopia View Post
Excellent update! I agree- this was very good news, and at this point better then the media we've been getting. Excellent, excellent news.
Yeah, The media is pretty damn epic, but this news is just epic'er'