Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Heroes - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

OR... Heros could be a unit of men... with one special NPC who has extra art done on him... the entire unit being better armored and better armed, kinda like the Lord unit in the TW series

Because, what would be the reason to level up? I mean, you could just Leave him out of COMBAT... let him wander near other troops to provide bonuses, but not hit anything.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I am sorry, I was not clear. As a hero levels up, the bonus he gives would get greater. But, the higher he gets, the less advanced the bonus would get per level.

The bonus would still increase, but eventually it would get to a point where it would increase very very slowly as to further improve insignificantly.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Well...as i understand it, you only get one hero so that should limit the hero abusing... only 1 army can travel with said hero. Heroes should totally be uber powerful. I say 5-6 battlalions worth depending on attack and armor for hero. Otherwise why have heroes?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

True, since each player will only have one hero, the power of a hero is not too big an issue actually.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

Hmmm... Interesting topic

What if heroes are, as people suggested, not extremely powerful, but to counter the targeting problem, you attach them to a squad to lead. This way, when you target the hero, it will target it as part of the squad and share the arrows around. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, heroes in BfME were overpowered, but at lvl. 1 I guess they were O.K. At lvl. 10, however... WORD OF POWER. 'nuff said.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
Hmmm... Interesting topic

What if heroes are, as people suggested, not extremely powerful, but to counter the targeting problem, you attach them to a squad to lead. This way, when you target the hero, it will target it as part of the squad and share the arrows around. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, heroes in BfME were overpowered, but at lvl. 1 I guess they were O.K. At lvl. 10, however... WORD OF POWER. 'nuff said.
Arrows have realistic trajectory DarkMaster - you can't focus fire an individual with ranged attacks as they will naturally miss a large portion of their shots. If you fire from around their maximum range you can expect a very small percentage of shots to land if there's only a single target in the area. Which accurately makes them weak for singling out battalions/heroes, but allows them to deal a great deal of damage to large groups of units.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 PM

Pilgrim is on a good road to success

That sounds great Josh. I'm told thats one of the great things about the TW series.

On the subject of balance - Interesting question as well that one, but personally I wasn't worried about heroes causing inbalance. I knew every player would have the same number of heroes (which it turns out is just one).

I was only worried about it looking stupid and unrealistic, like in BFME
I'm surprised to see almost everyone who posts here a lot is quite well versed in BFME. thats cool.

If the hero were an all-powerful mage, like Gandalf, I would actually think it looked cool, and in that case the excuse "its fantasy" would work for me. And Gandalf's 'Word of Power' in BFME was just awsome.

What wasn't awsome was seeing one lone swordsmen (Aragorn etc) reaking the same kind of havok.
However, since this is a computer game there will be some people who hate things looking silly, and other people who don't mind because its just a game. I'm not actually sure which group is the majority and which the minority.

Of course, since we've practically all played BFME, we all know that that game also had game destroying balance issues, heroes being just one of them, but I actually doubt DoF will be allowing balance issues.

Last edited by Pilgrim : 02-12-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Elite Member

sneaky_squirrel has good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
That sounds great Josh. I'm told thats one of the great things about the TW series.

On the subject of balance - Interesting question as well that one, but personally I wasn't worried about heroes causing inbalance. I knew every player would have the same number of heroes (which it turns out is just one).

I was only worried about it looking stupid and unrealistic, like in BFME
I'm surprised to see almost everyone who posts here a lot is quite well versed in BFME. thats cool.

If the hero were an all-powerful mage, like Gandalf, I would actually think it looked cool, and in that case the excuse "its fantasy" would work for me. And Gandalf's 'Word of Power' in BFME was just awsome.

What wasn't awsome was seeing one lone swordsmen (Aragorn etc) reaking the same kind of havok.
However, since this is a computer game there will be some people who hate things looking silly, and other people who don't mind because its just a game. I'm not actually sure which group is the majority and which the minority.

Of course, since we've practically all played BFME, we all know that that game also had game destroying balance issues, heroes being just one of them, but I actually doubt DoF will be allowing balance issues.
I beg to differ, but I have never played BFME.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

Meh. Gandalf was still over-powered if the others were. I mean come on...how many hits could he take before hitting the dirt? 500 or so? It was sort of ridiculous, although the price made up for it. In any case, Gandalf was wearing robes. Not 4-feet thick pieces of plate armor/chainmail.

Still; I got used to it to the point where I enjoyed those OP heroes.

One last thing to say: Never insult Aragorn. He owns.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

Oh yeah, I forgot about realistic arrows being in this game. Scratch my last suggestion