Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Heroes - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 PM

Pilgrim is on a good road to success
Default Heroes

Yes, negative post, had to happen eventually..

Having read that units will be microed not as individuals but as 15 - 20 unit batalians, with one exception being large units such as ogres and the other exception being heroes I have to ask..

How annoying are heroes going to be?

For a human hero unit to be worth-while in an army of 300 men I see only one possibilty. It will be a human who runs around the map single-handely taking on 25 men in a version of reality previously seen only in battle-for-middle-earth and bad Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

How many hundreds of arrows (no exageration) will I have to watch fly into my enemy hero's back as he cheekily runs away from my army after a one-man raid that leaves two of my batalians lying on their backs?

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see any other way.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

This is the kind of thing that can be discussed and even (gasp) changed in beta. Don't worry about these things.

I'm with you, I don't like superpower heroes that can tank through hundreds of soldiers singlehandedly, though I do think they should be largely impervious to focus fire. In a game like this, we could easily have hundreds of archers in a single battle, and having all them notch their bows and aim for one hero doesn't seem right at all...

I'm hoping to see heroes more like the Warcraft III (level 5 and under...) variety. Powerful, capable of really threatening enemies, but if they get surrounded and cut off from their forces they're as good as dead.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Battle is only a secondary function for heroes. Their main function is to talk with quest givers, merchants, etc. You can have ten armies roaming around Mythador and only one hero, so truthfully, you may not even be seeing much of him. With that said, heroes do bring a good number of new abilities to the battle field - I constantly use my hero to heal troops in proximity in the Online Kingdom mode, which allows me to gain a quick boost if things start turning sour.

You won't see them in regular skirmishes, except for the King you're trying to protect or kill.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Heroes will have many AoE support abilities, and will be less focused on actual normal fighting.

And yes, they will have quite high armor against projectiles
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

To be honest, I liked BFME heroes some times-It's fun to go up againt an entire army with just your heroes and watch them level up like crazy. Sure, they die eventually, but by the time they do...

Anyways, it sounds like the devs have this one figured out. So long as thery can't single-handedly tip a massive 1000-on-1000 battle to their player's favour, they're fine by me.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

if it was possible i would like for heroes to gain more attack/defense power when surrounded by friendlies since a hero always survive a battle if he doesn't go alone. Like making him a lower priority. Also it is possible for one warrior to take down 20-30 men alone, its not uncommon in history that an entire platoon is wiped by someone rushing in.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Pilgrim is on a good road to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
Also it is possible for one warrior to take down 20-30 men alone, its not uncommon in history that an entire platoon is wiped by someone rushing in.
That doesn't sound like a fact to me
Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

i hated BFME when the enemy had 2+ heros and sent them streight into your unfinised base, kill your hero then destroy everything. Or just one flying unit which just destroys everything even archers are mowed down in there dozens!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

... well i guess you don't know your viking stories. In a 10 k army of men there is bound to be someone who are awesome. Like for instance that viking that defended a bridge singlehandedly killing a lot of people. He stood his ground but eventually lost, but he took down a lot more then 30 guys. Also in the thing about Leonidas and his 300 Spartans, guess what? That was an army of 300 heroes so they took down 10 maybe even 20 times their numbers. They lost one or two every battle which is not bad considering the enemies lost thousands. So basically i am right, there are always good people and poor people. Its just that people that can't fight are illustrated as soldiers of course the armies look ****ed. You know in a regular ten k vs ten k men there is a large possibility that one or two guys get kill count +20. ohh now i wandered off, the point is that one guy killing 20-30 farmers given weapons and called soldiers is not that big of a deal. Anyone could've done that with a little training. Most likely the enemies will be either orcs given hatchets or bows and sent off, or elves with a little training for defending th3ir own homes or humans that thought it would be fun to fight and signed up for an army. That is just because they think war is awesome and in the past there were more people who wanted to fight rather then farm. So i guess the possibility that a heavily trained elite lord with a great sword made from some of the strongest metals there is and wearing a large armor made from the same should be able to fend off and kill like up to a platoon. Especially if it is regulars or recruits.

So now if you don't see the truth, look at it from another view. Think what would happen if this so called leader is a weakling. Boom first volley dead. You can never take him to quests far away because everyone try to kill the leader. The enemy focus their attack at where your hero is. WTF would you do against an enemy when your hero stand out? Would you rather have a hero that would die in the first volley or a hero that can lead a charge without getting impaled on the spear-wall? Of course the heroes gotta be strong or else you can also put it this way, no one would ever use the hero in battle and that again would delete half his purpose and really slow down your early stage development which is probably Dependant on a hero that can kill an enemy or ten.

There are two things that should make you accept the hero. Also if you did not notice there is ONLY ONE so you don't have to worry about a hero charge. Just remember that your hero can do equal the dmg the enemy can. Pleased to annoy you with a page of why we should use heroes
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

I would say having your hero have a lot of hitpoints and restances is reasonable. However, taking out 5 batallions by himself is not. Using him/her as an AoE ranged powerhouse/healer/force multiplier would be perfectly fine.

Cutting through 120 guys singlehandedly-no.
Supporting his/her troops so that 60 of them can now kill double with ease- yes, that's reasonable.