Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

On large scale battles: Wow, that's cluttered. - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM

HolyPollo has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshie View Post
Just to put out there, if your defending your stronghold, if a player manages to scale ur first wall would u not expect chaos and lots of mixes of both teams battilions? if im the attack i would sure like to cause it!
For sure. I think the mix can be taken advantage of, like the player who can keep his head amidst the chaos will always come out on top.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I agree that with playing comes clarity. I remember the first time I played Age of Conquerors. I wasn't familiar with the units, and was confused by their similarities in appearance. Now, I have no problem. I still play AoE2 every once in a while - nostolgia.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

metman has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyPollo View Post
For sure. I think the mix can be taken advantage of, like the player who can keep his head amidst the chaos will always come out on top.
Exactly you have to be able to fight amist chaos to win.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM

willrockyo1 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by metman View Post
Exactly you have to be able to fight amist chaos to win.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with all this. When the screen is just filled with a jumble of units all slashing at each other at ridiculous angles, I don't feel like I'm playing an RTS. I feel like I'm playing an RTC (C=Chaos). I love RTS's that emphasis the use of formation and unit placement for maximum victory.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrockyo1 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't agree with all this. When the screen is just filled with a jumble of units all slashing at each other at ridiculous angles, I don't feel like I'm playing an RTS. I feel like I'm playing an RTC (C=Chaos). I love RTS's that emphasis the use of formation and unit placement for maximum victory.
I have to agree with him to a point i mean i would want my guys causing chaos in maybe the first teir of a defenders town but i would want orginised/well planned movement and thought in an open battle or one leadining up to a wall otherwise it wouldnt be stragity. Yes i want to cause chaos after i scale his walls so that he can suffer and then make rash decisions but that is the only case that i would.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

... i am also one of those that love the total chaos that happens when someone has scaled the walls of your city... its awesome
Old 02-24-2010, 06:32 AM

HolyPollo has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
... i am also one of those that love the total chaos that happens when someone has scaled the walls of your city... its awesome
Exactly! Who needs formations when you have an epic uproar? I mean it's more historic anyhow. You can be a general with the most advanced strategies but when your troops clash in the field, all you're doing is fighting for your life. I'd say numbers is more accurate than "strategy" to determine an outcome.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

its numbers, skills and will to win. You ever heard of a well financed with a lot of numbers kinda nation with trained soldier win? I don't think you hear that a lot. I mean take for instance china, their nationalists lost when they were financed by America because the will to win was so strong for the communists. Or we can use the current "war" in Afghanistan guess why the fighting is still going on? It is the WILL TO WIN. So basically you need numbers to frighten the enemy and lessen their will, skills to break formations and will to win so that your soldiers don't rout in the initial charge.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
its numbers, skills and will to win. You ever heard of a well financed with a lot of numbers kinda nation with trained soldier win? I don't think you hear that a lot. I mean take for instance china, their nationalists lost when they were financed by America because the will to win was so strong for the communists. Or we can use the current "war" in Afghanistan guess why the fighting is still going on? It is the WILL TO WIN. So basically you need numbers to frighten the enemy and lessen their will, skills to break formations and will to win so that your soldiers don't rout in the initial charge.
I wouldn't say it's about will to win so much as it's not a real war. You can't 'beat' guerrilla tactics unless you're willing to level the entirety of the civilian populace they hide behind.

As for what's required in DoF, I'd say it's quite like most other large scale RTSes. For the most part you don't need to micro - but there's a pretty high skill ceiling for swapping formations/stances/using activated abilities. What I mean is, you can do well without much micro, but if you do get good at it, you'll have an advantage. How big that is, well that's a matter of balance and play testing really.

One of the biggest attractions to RTSes for me is indeed the overwhelming nature of it, what separates good from great lies in the fact that you can't do everything. There's so much depth it becomes about deciding what all your options priorities are. Do you need to manually be changing formations on the fly to maximize each battalions strength based upon what unit type they're fighting, or are you better off singling out good targets for your ranged units, or attempting to flank and knock out their high value targets say hero/ranged/siege with your own cavalry/stealthed units.

And as for strategy vs numbers, time and time again the brain of a talented commander proved more capable than tens, sometimes hundreds of thousands men. To an individual soldier maybe it doesn't seem that way, but there are countless examples of battles that given equal commanders one side would have won decidedly but in fact they lost.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

Yeah i know, but look at it this way. Will to win equals more kills/death rate. In those terror organizations they use suicide bombings thats caused because of will to fight. However good commanders is a must too, its just that in this age all you need for a good commander is giving them a video game that teaches strategies and within a month that guy should be able to pull it off...

I played stormrise under a week now, and currently i can control a whole army almost at the speed of thought. So games are great for learning stuff... And thats why commanding doesn't seem like much these days. So these days its will to fight and technology that decides it, maybe in ancient times the commanders were more of a need. But not now... Anyways the only ones with commanding positions are people who "Earned" it through hard work. In ancient you just needed names like Julii or Brutii or being descended from some great bloodline...