Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

rts on xbox ??? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 01:31 AM

lol129 has a default reputation
Default rts on xbox ???

how the heck do you want to play a rts like this on a xbox i mean theat gos way to slow in comperison with a pc
Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol129 View Post
how the heck do you want to play a rts like this on a xbox i mean theat gos way to slow in comperison with a pc
thats a question thats bean asked and not really answered, all we really know is that reverie isnt even working on the xbox version until the PC version is done. in my persoanl opinion i htink there gonna bag the xbox version and just leave it on the pc, i dont think an xbox could handle this game unless they remove a lot of conetent and smaller unit caps
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach12wqasxz View Post
thats a question thats bean asked and not really answered, all we really know is that reverie isnt even working on the xbox version until the PC version is done. in my persoanl opinion i htink there gonna bag the xbox version and just leave it on the pc, i dont think an xbox could handle this game unless they remove a lot of conetent and smaller unit caps
Smaller caps perhaps, or just bigger groups...

It will use the usual stick layout controls.

I think it will do just about as well as any other RTS on consoles, not very...
However, unlike other RTS on consoles, Reverie doesnt have a well known brand name and loyal consumers, it may incur losses. This I think is why they may drop the Xbox version at any point... But then again, it is up to the publisher. By including an Xbox version in their portfolio Reverie is showing that it has possibility to appeal to a wider market and that it may well be worth investing in.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

You've got two problems with consoles. The first is that the gamepad is horrible for controlling a RTS, and even the best of approaches have only garnered passable performance. The second problem is RAM; consoles have much less of it than a typical gaming PC, and the RTS genre is particularly RAM-intensive, so this can can really hinder the game.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 AM

Vimes has fair reputation

I can understand the aspiration but this game, if I get this right, will be client side mostly? If you hosted almost purely server side you could use a framework to allow different clients to connect on the same server but this doesnt seems like that situation. I may be wrong - having thought this through I am going to read more dark dusty corners here.

I know petroglyph and Trion are developing a game on the Trion network and Nice tech, with Time of Defiance, have used the Aliceserver server which also allows multiple clients. Is this the tech DoF will use or was my assumption right that its a more similar model to a boxed release game?

My worry, if right, is that this will be similar to Thief DS(3) which massively nerfed the freedom and immersion to cater to console players. Will the console version have lessflexibility or will the game flexibility be reduced to equalise the experience?

I will state I loathe console games - i find them too pathed to allow for the control limitations, too focused on easy to please experiences and such. But with server side multiple client tech it could be no problem in the future - we will see I suppose.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 AM

Thechampio2 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
You've got two problems with consoles. The first is that the gamepad is horrible for controlling a RTS, and even the best of approaches have only garnered passable performance. The second problem is RAM; consoles have much less of it than a typical gaming PC, and the RTS genre is particularly RAM-intensive, so this can can really hinder the game.
While I completely agree with your statement, the best thing about the consoles is that connection non withstanding, everything is the same. When you're looking at PC gaming, you have to take the whole spectrum of people, from the slowest crawling PC to the super clocked latest ones. As a company it's appealing to create a game with a specific spec in mind and port it to the PC instead of trying to create a game that will deal with a range of computers and port it to a console.

That being said, I still have never played a very enjoyable console RTS, unless you could Civ Revolution. Or possible Starcraft for 64 :P
Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Rts dont have the capability for strong rts performance althoug it has been done any strong rts game fails agasint a pc. this is not only due to the console but the interface asweel. To be hounest i see in the future all things moving to the pc as the main console of the house as it is far more able to meed the demand of the games. And there can be both keyboard,joystick and prefered mediem to play with. but untill that day, pc's should be the platform of choce for rts etc
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills370 View Post
Rts dont have the capability for strong rts performance althoug it has been done any strong rts game fails agasint a pc. this is not only due to the console but the interface asweel. To be hounest i see in the future all things moving to the pc as the main console of the house as it is far more able to meed the demand of the games. And there can be both keyboard,joystick and prefered mediem to play with. but untill that day, pc's should be the platform of choce for rts etc
But to keep up with the rising standards of games we would continually have to keep updating our computers, this can be expensive and irritating... Most people get consoles because they are ignorant of the capabilities of gaming on PC's, however others do do so because it is cheaper and due to the masses of console gamers there can be more multiplayer options... Also the controllers make many gametypes easier to play, although you can get joysticks and such for the PC they are additional costs and can be hard to track down...
Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

Whats so hard about putting up a mouse and keyboard for playstation or x-box? Also there are certain games that was awesome to control (rts) on my console (ps 3 tough) I play stormrise It took me two days to learn how to play perfectly and now i can command an army super sized. It is no problem just get something cool like whip control It allow me to put up 5 sniper positions while brining in the heavy stuff to crush any resistance around the corners. However a normal rts view would need one stick to control the camera and one to control the mouse if you use one... I know it can be a problem getting a easy rts game on consoles but don't bother with the small fries that cant learn a game, for instance (stormrise again ) Got some of the worst critics, they said it was terrible in every game magazine. I found it cheap at the store and just bought it since i could. I could never have realized when i first tried it that it would be that awesome, i didn't get anything but then after two days devoted to it was enough to learn me how to play online at quite a skill lvl. Now i can compete against middle to lesser pro's, give them a system that they can play but it doesn't need to be easy. It will get fun once you learn the console when no one else can learn it I especially enjoy it when i am playing team matches and the other teammates cant play at all. Its so fun to compare on such a difficult console game.

This is my opinion, i normally don't check this part of forum since i only got a ps3 so you don't need to answer
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM

Gleem has a default reputation

"You've got two problems with consoles. The first is that the gamepad is horrible for controlling a RTS, and even the best of approaches have only garnered passable performance. The second problem is RAM; consoles have much less of it than a typical gaming PC, and the RTS genre is particularly RAM-intensive, so this can can really hinder the game."

The RAM part of this is definitely a huge issue. As I'm sure the dev team already knows, consoles are built with a vastly limited amount of RAM, the opposing token to this is the RAM is actually incredibly fast (and expensive for comparable sizes of PC RAM).

The direct concern of a console game is for the RAM to merely house everything in the vicinity of your character (because, yes, consoles are designed for character based games, platformers, dungeon crawls, FPS games). Which is also why they're so incredibly fast. As soon as something leaves your general sight or area it drops out of the RAM, and new data is loaded up. You can see this in larger games like Oblivion as things just start popping up into place. The view distance is massive in that game, but what's actually loaded into ram is only in your immediate area.

RTS games require all of your units to be loaded into RAM at once. This is where the PC comes in as superior. With a console it doesn't matter how fast your RAM is.. once it's filled, it's filled.

If you really wanna see this go pick up a copy of Warcraft III. Now start up the map editor and remove the food cost (unit cap cost) of some unit. Now load up your map. Make 500 of those units. If your computer has the RAM you will technically make those units. But the unit AI won't work for about half of them. This is because the game was made and coded for a set amount of RAM. When you step over this RAM threshold you're still capable of making them, but the game no longer knows how to process the additional units.