Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Getting smashed,Peace time - Page 7 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Axal01 has a default reputation

its okay though, ill only be playing with my friends. We like to build massive armies and eco and usually have a peace treaty until one of us decides we want to dominate the world and then Invade. To get a fun amazing feeling of an insane war as if it was a real war.. Like Troy,trojans defended their castle while the greeks attacked with many numbers, or just pick a place to do a huge battle and then the loser has to retreat to defend the castle. The meaning of battle in my book is, a small fight on the castle walls,the gates,in the field,forest and the meaning of WAR is the whole game/map. If i defeat his armies and castle and hes dead, then ive won the war, not the battle because the battle was won out in the fields and then a new battle was at his castle and thus ive won the War. I hope this made sense, if it didn't oh well lol but im definitly gettin the game
Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

What I would like to see is a better way of scoring online stats. One possibily would be it doesn't matter your actual score of wins or games played, but ratio between wins to losses, however the obvious flaw is someone who wins on their first go is ranked higher, who say has 70 wins to 5 losses.
What I would like is based on points. In a game it counts upon things like units built, units lost, units destroyed and their ratios; buildings built, lost and razed and their respective ratios; and finally things like research and resources spent. Then it would be worked out into points, which would then be benchmarked into levels.
This is the system of ratios in bfme2:
Tactical Skill: units built/units lost
Strategic Skill: (units destroyed + buildings destroyed)/money spent
Of course the errors in the first is that it is not about skill, but conservation of troops, and if the units have high health or not. The errors in the second is that of finding the best possible and cheapest way to win, though skill only be in repetition for having what I call a "Ground-Hog" strategy, my own personal.

Last edited by Puppeteer : 10-27-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

The problem with those methods is that they don't differentiate between player skill. If I'm constantly fighting the best players in the game, I may have a win/loss ratio of 30%. That's not a great %, but frankly if I can pull off a win 30% of the time against the very best, I must be pretty good. Conversely, if I'm constantly fighting newbies and have a win/loss ratio of 90%, that means practically nothing. Of course I can beat newbies, but that's meaningless. I'll probably get creamed by anyone who is half decent.

Win/loss ratios and total wins and losses are worthless measures, because by playing the "right" opponents you can abuse the system for a high score that you don't deserve. Conversely, playing "legitimately" and tackling the toughest opponents available often hurts your score more than it helps. This is the wrong way to go about it.

I think the WC3 ladder was managing things right. You have to base the ladder position of each player not just on how much they win, but who they win against. Winning a single match over the top player on the ladder would be worth thousands of times the score of what a match against the worst player would yield.

Using in-game scoring methods is no good. There are always strategies that can be used to inflate your score artificially, even if your performance left much to be desired. In WC3, using necromancers to summon a horde of skeletons was a massive score boon, even though that could end up being counter-productive if the enemy had destroyers or some other strong anti-magic tool.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:59 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

So you propose sticking to the scoring which is "the bigger the score the more you play it" -_-
Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Axal01 has a default reputation

I was once told to not let my enemy build up. I was also told that rushing was challenging and risky. I find letting the enemy build up challenging and risky and pretty much horrified so i get my thrills out of that knowing if i let this guy build up i may very much lose. but its all good its better than a drug lol
Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

The thing I hate is when you are ranked wrong. Ok say 1 day you win 5 games straight and then the next you are playing like rank 100 in the world. Maybe the ladder or some computer or something could look at how you play and rank you on that as well as if you won or lost.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 10-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
So you propose sticking to the scoring which is "the bigger the score the more you play it" -_-
Quite the contrary; I propose a scoring system where the better your opponents the more score you get. In other words, the only way to climb the ladder is by fighting better opponents. Combined with an extrapolation formula to "guess" at your final ladder rank and match appropriately, this would in fact allow someone to climb through the ladders extremely rapidly with very little playtime.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:34 PM

axal011 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axal01 View Post
I was once told to not let my enemy build up. I was also told that rushing was challenging and risky. I find letting the enemy build up challenging and risky and pretty much horrified so i get my thrills out of that knowing if i let this guy build up i may very much lose. but its all good its better than a drug lol

Why was this ignored? AWHILE BACK.. It Made perfect sense and wasn't favoring just one side. Favoring actually both sides
Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Tbeaz161 has a default reputation

I think there should be games called rush or long etc.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Diggz has a default reputation

People, people, people..

If what i seem to have read is correct, your assets carry on with you from fight to fight. Meaning that rushing may work really well in the first fight when you have no walls yet, but two hardcore players who, per se, both won their last game and have 100% hp stuff. Rushing is suicide in that case.

DoF is going to be whoever plays their card in the right circumstance. I camp in base, you rushed at start, you failed, my army is nearly intact, I build up for a minute or so and then come at your base. You're choice of cards just lost you the game.

**Cards is a metaphor, dont get all thinking this is a card game**