Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Getting smashed,Peace time - Page 5 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Gallivan has a default reputation

In my opinion, rushing is all in terms of game length.

We have played games with average game lengths of 30 minutes, so a normal rush is 5-10 minutes, ending the game quickly.

However, think if normal games last 24 hours. There would still be rushes, but they would come at hour six or seven.

My point is, you can't get rid of the rush. If you create a turtling game, rushes will simply be defined as the thing that ends the game quickest.

They are a vital strategy, because they seem to form a rock-paper-scissors effect when playing. Turtle, rush, or expand is what I have most commonly seen.

If you take out rushing in some obscene way, it completely throws the idea of expanding or turtling.

I think Dawn of Fantasy's multiplayer approach will differ though, since your kingdoms can be built up/rebuilt.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Axal01 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivan View Post

We have played games with average game lengths of 30 minutes, so a normal rush is 5-10 minutes, ending the game quickly.

However, think if normal games last 24 hours. There would still be rushes, but they would come at hour six or seven.

My point is, you can't get rid of the rush. If you create a turtling game, rushes will simply be defined as the thing that ends the game quickest.

They are a vital strategy, because they seem to form a rock-paper-scissors effect when playing. Turtle, rush, or expand is what I have most commonly seen.

If you take out rushing in some obscene way, it completely throws the idea of expanding or turtling.

I think Dawn of Fantasy's multiplayer approach will differ though, since your kingdoms can be built up/rebuilt.

Ahh, I understand. Thanks =)
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

iceblast has a default reputation

i am for rushing (i do it) i hate long games that drift on for 20 over minutes i get rapidly bored and its not fun plus it keeps the opposition company^^
Old 10-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I was born in the wrong year too... fighting with weapons like swords and bows crafted individually is more honourable then picking someone off with a sniper or shell.
Anyway, when someone mention rushing I tend to think of it as within 5-10 minutes, sending a weak/cheap but OP force to smash an opponent. I don't like that, but neither do I like the idea of "No rushing whatsoever" that some online matches say. You gotta harass them every now and then :P
Old 10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
i am for rushing (i do it) i hate long games that drift on for 20 over minutes i get rapidly bored and its not fun plus it keeps the opposition company^^

I always asked people i played with why they quit and they responded they didnt like long games which i understand though, but one guy asked me why I quit and i responded with "im not having any fun dieing and starting over every 10 minutes, and that makes me rapidly bored
Old 10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Some games are based on building an empire and conquring the world but they end up being 5-10 minute of a skirmish and that doesnt give the feel of warefare. More like a game of Who am i and What do I do. The feel of a warefare game is getting rich and attacking and defending and to feel as if you are really in control of a base or a kingdom or a country. Some games people play what they call "Diplo" and everyone builds their base or kingdom and then an army and decide who to conqur and who to ally with to win the War. I do admit, my strategy is defensive but when I go on the offensive its going to be an intense interesting fight on the battlefield cause im not going to send weak/cheap units to the battlefield just so someone can say wow i killed his whole army so he can feel good about him self but to constantly send weak/cheap units every second is not intense and is not interesting and does not make me feel good, that is if its me doing it. When im with a friend or friends, we will build up and build a massive army and meet somwhere on the field and duke it out and see who wins and then attack the base of the person who lost the battle and then decide who wins the "WAR" =)
Old 10-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivan View Post

I agree but I like when the player is good and can beat off a rush and can turn the tides turning it into a real war. Personally, I love long games, but I also like the concept of having to rebuild as well as making comebacks.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 AM

ShadowyMoon has a default reputation

WKOA is right. On any game I've played you can never take out a good player with a rush or hurt them with it. If you rush a good player you're putting yourself at an economic disadvantage and you will lose eventually if the enemy doesn't screw up somehow. So even though non rushing does have it's point I'm not a fan of long games and I simply hate turtlers. I doubt any RTS should reward turtling. It's not a viable strategy and it never was neither in games nor in real war... Back on topic about the rushes: Generally anyone who complains of them in any game is just not good enough to defend accordingly IMO. About 3-4 years ago when I was a newbie at StarCraft I was preaching how rushes are the most horrible thing in an RTS. Now I can't live without them.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

frankein_fish is someone to look uptofrankein_fish is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowyMoon View Post
WKOA is right. On any game I've played you can never take out a good player with a rush or hurt them with it. If you rush a good player you're putting yourself at an economic disadvantage and you will lose eventually if the enemy doesn't screw up somehow. So even though non rushing does have it's point I'm not a fan of long games and I simply hate turtlers. I doubt any RTS should reward turtling. It's not a viable strategy and it never was neither in games nor in real war... Back on topic about the rushes: Generally anyone who complains of them in any game is just not good enough to defend accordingly IMO. About 3-4 years ago when I was a newbie at StarCraft I was preaching how rushes are the most horrible thing in an RTS. Now I can't live without them.

rushes are an importent strategy however if the enemy cant survive then the game will end in like 10-15 minutes wich i hate.

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain
www.rtscomunity.com
"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."
Diablo III---Starcraft II---Bloodline champions
Old 10-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

harrassing: yes, rushing to destroy: no fun