Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Getting smashed,Peace time - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2007, 11:39 AM

ShadowyMoon has a default reputation

I agree with Darvin. No rush mode... that's total nonsence. And yes hardcore mode should have some extras.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Intern

Kostia Kaploon has a default reputation

20-30 minutes? how? maybe (only maybe) in 1vs1 matches.. but on matches like 3vs3 you'll play for atleast an hour or so.. so this 10 min will be vital. and to optimize even more the host may decide if he wants this time or not.. like a simple server option and if u dont want it find a game without it or host one.
Besides its MMO so u get what you had in the end of ur last game (if i got it correctly) so u'll need a bit time to recover from the damages.

So what do you think?

Kost.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM

ShadowyMoon has a default reputation

If you won last game your army is healed in MMO mode. And I'm really strongly against non rushing. Early attacks are a vital part of RTS games and should always be. And 20-30 mins... total nonsence. Who prepares THAT long? If it is optional in skirmishes than allright but it reduces strategic depth...
Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM

20-30 minutes was the battle time someone here suggested - i suggested 10 min preparatin time tops.

The thing i dont like in this is that when u win in MMO u're automaticaly healed. We may have this time in the end of the game if its better. the thing is i like it when the player needs to strategicaly think beyoung a single game - for example people may try to excsost each other by having a few battles and making so much damage to the winning side that he would lose the next time. Or like "clan" members smashing a strong player of the other "clan" so they can eventualy take him down. also this requires a "retire" botton so you technicaly is defeated but you dont realy have to start over. The 10 mins can be given to you after each game and you can use them anytime you want untill the next battle, and if you dont use it - its ur problem couse it isnt acamulated.

i know its a little complex if u don't understand what im saying ill try to put it down more neetly just ask me to.

kost.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowyMoon View Post
If you won last game your army is healed in MMO mode. And I'm really strongly against non rushing. Early attacks are a vital part of RTS games and should always be. And 20-30 mins... total nonsence. Who prepares THAT long? If it is optional in skirmishes than allright but it reduces strategic depth...
I say 5 minutes tops. Also, I often get all my games to at least 20 minutes because

A. It is a competitive game or

B. If it's a noob I just build up.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
I say 5 minutes tops. Also, I often get all my games to at least 20 minutes because

A. It is a competitive game or

B. If it's a noob I just build up.
thats ok as well but still my point here is manual recover vs auto healing.. so do u agree there should be menual and not auto?

kost.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Big Bad Orc has a default reputation

Well im all for some recover time but what im saying is is does not have to be ingame just on your online kingdom if you get me.Thats why i said you dont build army or anything just maybe repair or build a few things maybe get some wood or stone etc.Yeah maybe for some of you its fun to swarm in the first minute of the game but just wait to it happens to you 10 times in a row you will get annoyed of it.I know i have alot to learn about rts gaming and so forth but for me thats what has turned me off some rts games.Also i dont care about skirmish mode ill getting this for my online kingdom so thats all i care about lol.

ps ORCS RULE .
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

An hour minimum? I consider it a major fault if games last longer than an hour on average, since there are WAY too many cases where I can't afford to play because there's no assurances that I can stay on for that long, and a lot of other people are in the same position. I'm fine if the rare game goes very long, or if you choose a disproportionately large map (a big 3v3 map for a 2v2 game, for instance), but your average every-day match should not. Moreover, team games do not necessarily last longer than solo games. If you check out the statistics for the warcraft 3 ladder, the type of map has a LOT bigger impact than the size of the team.

Secondly, I still don't see how these ten minutes are 'vital'. Starting the game off with some early skirmishing is not only part of the fun, but it shakes things up. Without it, those ten minutes will just be spent following a cookie cutter build order, anyways. Why not just give you a starting base/army that corresponds to that build-up time and just skip to the action? Why not just have all this annoying prep-work done for you!?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
An hour minimum?

Secondly, I still don't see how these ten minutes are 'vital'. Starting the game off with some early skirmishing is not only part of the fun, but it shakes things up. Without it, those ten minutes will just be spent following a cookie cutter build order, anyways. Why not just give you a starting base/army that corresponds to that build-up time and just skip to the action? Why not just have all this annoying prep-work done for you!?
What you said is ok for the first game.. but for example in the first game you built up your base a bit then it was seriesly damaged. you don't want to start with a big but broken base.. instead in those 10 mins (outside the match even) you repair a bit, gether a bit resources.. maybe reserch or somthing.. NOW you are ready to your next battle and not all broken down. and if you lost the 1st game that a must couse you have to at least have a bit of resources to start with..

the key here is understanding how the MMO works.. maybe im wrong but from what i understood it works like that - you are matched with someone your power - battle with him.. all the units/building/damage is saved.. then when you are matched again you start exactly where you left off the other time.. now what i say is you have 10 min after every match to recover from it towards the next one.. (maybe restrict or not permit at all building buildings and units.. just reparing, researching, placing your units, gethering resources etc.

just tell me if i understand this wrong..
Old 10-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostiak View Post
What you said is ok for the first game.. but for example in the first game you built up your base a bit then it was seriesly damaged. you don't want to start with a big but broken base.. instead in those 10 mins (outside the match even) you repair a bit, gether a bit resources.. maybe reserch or somthing.. NOW you are ready to your next battle and not all broken down. and if you lost the 1st game that a must couse you have to at least have a bit of resources to start with..

the key here is understanding how the MMO works.. maybe im wrong but from what i understood it works like that - you are matched with someone your power - battle with him.. all the units/building/damage is saved.. then when you are matched again you start exactly where you left off the other time.. now what i say is you have 10 min after every match to recover from it towards the next one.. (maybe restrict or not permit at all building buildings and units.. just reparing, researching, placing your units, gethering resources etc.

just tell me if i understand this wrong..
I think Darvin meant if you start from scratch. Personally, I like to fight in the beggining because it can determine the game early and it is also fun for the action. I can't stand it just to sit there even for 5 minutes and build up. I like to always be fighting and in a battle or something like that.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang