Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Brand new here:) - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square > Traveler Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM

nicolelux has a default reputation
Default Brand new here:)

So is this game more towards warfare, or can I sit and built cities? I never fights all I do is build build build.... and the city building games seem to never come around... so can I bank on this game?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

well if you wanted to sure, but when people attack you, you have to eaither pay them off or face the conciquences. So idealy yes you can but you better have lots of gold at the ready or good defence force.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Yeah, I think that that was shown in one of the earlier Fantasy Fridays. The person was playing as orcs and he didn't pay off the or-kings taxpayers. He fought a battle and won, but lost a lot of units. theoretically, Nico, if you started out wiht defenses as your character's trait, you might be able to get away with city building. I used to do that a lot, but, as I played more online, it got harder to do as Human players are pretty smart.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

Theoretically you can sit around and build away, although being able to constantly pay off people is a bit unrealistic, probably. I've also heard you have minimal control over the placement of buildings in some cases. However, the defensive trait will definitely help you fight off enemies and in some cases you may be able to sit there and laugh while enemies throw themselves at your walls and continue building despite them.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

I think this game is more warfare than city-building. Games that have both of these, one seems to suffer. like mentioned above 2 out of the 3 races have basicly fixed positions for buildig.

I am a big fan of city-builder games and RTSs. When I play a game for the city-building as the focus, the combat is basic. RTSs have base building rather then city building which I would like to see a nice balance between the two in a game.

Here is a good example, if anyone has played the settlers series the game is a city builder. I just got a beta key for the settlers 7 and its mostly about city-building and economy management. It has some combat, but its very basic with focus on a few units rather than an army. You basicly have the attack command and thats it.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

I guess the main part will be in wars (duh =P) and that castle building stuff will be for by the way. You could also play AoE2 as a simcity game but its very limited, so i guess if you wont fight you gona miss 85%(?) of the game possibilities. And as said there will be mostly prelocated locations for buildings so wont be also much freestyle. Sure you could also at Travian just build an grow population and some ppl liked that, so i guess that there might be also here ppl who will like to mostly build and grow (not impossible =)). And this is also more user friendly sistem than travian, you cant get attacked if offline and you can pay your attackers to leave you alone if you dont want to fight and they cant destroy 100% your buildings if you got razed, so just repair and off you go onward!
Just my opinion.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!

Last edited by Kire : 01-27-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM

nicolelux has a default reputation

well I don't mind a battle here and there I'm playing civ city rome and I finally did the battle part and I enjoyed it, And the more I reserch this game the more I want to play it none of my friends know about my secret addiction, so I got to come the these forums to learn about these games thanks for you help and giving me some inside.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I once heard talk of an elusive 'sandbox' mode mentioned in a reverie of thought. Mayhap the devs might enlighten us mortals.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

You can mostly build up your city and fight only a little if you want to. There will be some people who will attack you and you can pay them off or fight them off. For humans and elves, but not orcs, most, if not all, buildings are preset, but that doesn't bother me much as I am still building a city and a cool one too. You can also trade with other players, the npc market, and your guild, if you choose to join one, and also do quests, by yourself or with friends if you so wish. I think that the occasional battle might also make it fun too.

This game is mostly about warfare, but I can see it still being enjoyable if you don't make that the biggest part of the game. While preset building locations don't let you make the city the way you want to, you can still build a cool city and rule with an iron fist and such. There's nothing stopping you from playing the game you want to (except the players that want to kill you, but it was already said that you can pay them off or fight them back).

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
. Mayhap the devs might enlighten us mortals.
all bow down and worship the devs so that they may bless us with information

*zach12wqasxz sacrifices a cow *.......just kidding