Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Know any good books? - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

Thats just like me with some books, like the earlier mentioned Artemis fowl where all i remember is some small part about them breaking into a heavily secured building. Or for instance the "skammar dottar" series, which i read some time ago it is in Nynorsk. (it is a new language the government is trying to push on the Norwegian people or not really new but more like a less rebellious one, kinda polite and all.) But that book is about dragons and lots of other evil doers that try to get a girl that can... i don't remember exactly but i think it was that no one could lie to her or that she could make people do what she want them to do. But i do remember the entire start, and a small war which dragons participate in.

Also among my currently favored books are the stories of the space marines from warhammer 40 k I suggest to you who have not read any of them READ THEM! and if you have read some, READ THE BOOK ABOUT THE SPACE WOLVES! Ragnar is one of the best characters i have ever read about. SO READ IT!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
Also eragon is not my top list of things to read because i didn't really like eragon, i don't know why but its something about it that makes me want to scream out YOU SUCK but i guess it could be because i was so bored over some time that i saw that movie over and over again, we will never know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
Havent read any of the books however I did hear eragon the book was far better than the movie. Though I enjoyed the movie.
The book was indeed FAR better than the film, however i was childish and inexperienced when i read eragon, it took me ages to realise just how bad it was... it would be okay if all the plots hadnt come directly out of other stories...
However i would never recommend the actual books, but the fanfiction i posted is actually really amazing... The writer now has several books released in her own name
Old 01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
And if you want something more humor than serious but still with an interesting story anything by Terry Pratchett is a good read.
I really like his books. They are often funny and have interesting concepts along with a good plot. I like most all the R. A. Salvatore books and find them to be a good read.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

if you like fantasy and dragons and such then you will really like these books, there all in them same series going by first to last in the series
Eragon ( the movie sucked but the book is awesome )
Eldest ( the sequel )
Brisingr ( sequel to Eldest )
i HATE reading and i obsess over these books so you know there that good
Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach12wqasxz View Post
if you like fantasy and dragons and such then you will really like these books, there all in them same series going by first to last in the series
Eragon ( the movie sucked but the book is awesome )
Eldest ( the sequel )
Brisingr ( sequel to Eldest )
i HATE reading and i obsess over these books so you know there that good
I have read them all, Eragon and Edest were good when i was inexperienced and didnt know what made a good book... Brisingr was a truly awful book that was painful to read and i only read it through as not to waste money, I would recommend everyone stay away from Brisingr at all costs...
No offence zach
Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
I have read them all, Eragon and Edest were good when i was inexperienced and didnt know what made a good book... Brisingr was a truly awful book that was painful to read and i only read it through as not to waste money, I would recommend everyone stay away from Brisingr at all costs...
No offence zach
A line simply needs to be drawn between a well written book and an enjoyable book, they can often be different things. I find the drizzt books to be average quality these days - but the characters and the universe itself (Forgotten realms) draw me in and more than make up for the average writing.

The Eragorn books are somewhat the same in that respect, the author is relatively new though, still could improve.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
No offence zach
you all are going a little deep with this whole author book thread. i read very few books, and the ones that are good are the ones that i find entertaining and dont put me to sleep. also im very interested in a medieval setting so though its a bit more fantasy is still very close. and brisingr was not a bad book, it actually had some very good and well written parts in it. if any book in this series should be critized it should be eldest becasue half of the book was Eragon obsessing over Arya, i had trouble getting through that stuff, but when i did the rest of the book was good
also if you think that this series is childish ( i noticed many comments that said this, or similiar to "were good when i was inexperienced and didnt know what made a good book" ) did you ever think that it was a book written for a younger audiance? by a new author? i mean for being a new inexpereniced author, and being for a younger audiance he wrote these books very well. its all really a matter of opinion

off the inheritance books. i read one of the drittz books, i enjoyed it but never got around continuing into the series
Old 01-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

it also seems like i gotta get hold of this drizzt thingie, also if you search for steven erikson then you find a tale of the malazan book of the fallen. That is perhaps one of the most entertaining books i have ever read, in the midnight tides and reapers gale you will find the FUNNIEST and most AWESOME character ever made! His name is Tehol beddict. SERIOUSLY READ IT! By the way, the first books will take a millenium to start up (it will take half the book to understand at first because you are really just thrown into the world) but once you get into the series you will find it so enjoyable that you can't let the book in peace, i mean i try to hold myself because i am halfway into book number two, and i need number three. Because of that i try to wait for it by not reading but i can barely let myself deny it. (also these books were originally made as movie scripts... so maybe sometime in the future we might see it in the cinema. also the other one the malazan books under another author should play about entirely unrelated scenes but a bit before)
Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Liljagare has a default reputation

Stephen Donaldson's White Gold Wielder series should hold you over.. Epic series, 9 books complete, but he's writing a third set of 3 books atm, got 2 out, that are equally as good. I keep thinking of him as Tolkien 'lite', for some reason...

Legend of Nighthawk is another nice book, and those Shannara books are BIG, HEAVY, and actually well written.

Naturarly, anything Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms works too.. :P
Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach12wqasxz View Post
if any book in this series should be critized it should be eldest becasue half of the book was Eragon obsessing over Arya, i had trouble getting through that stuff, but when i did the rest of the book was good
also if you think that this series is childish ( i noticed many comments that said this, or similiar to "were good when i was inexperienced and didnt know what made a good book" ) did you ever think that it was a book written for a younger audiance? by a new author?
I quite liked the parts about Arya, it was very overplayed, but it showed a human side to his character. Love is something we all feel, it is hard to control, and i totally can understand why its there... But yes, it was overplayed greatly...
Also i didnt mean childish, sorry... Its just that the Inheritance series were one of the first books i started reading properly... (other than harry potter)
S
ince then i have read other books which, frankly put the writing to shame, the ideas are great (although many taken from other stories) and the link between Eragon and Saphira in the first book is amazing... that is diminished about halfway through eldest where things obviously become rushed, brisingr lost it totally... Brisingr effectively killed all my appreciation for the books, it forgot many of the things that had previously been stated, it didnt show their relationships, and i didnt like the main idea it revolved around...

Dont get me wrong, the book is great, and yes it was written for a younger audience, it is aimed at young teens mainly i would say, definitely a teen market.

And yes, it was a fair enough first book i guess... But sometimes you can see the injustice that there are many amazing writers out there who simply cant get publishers, but he got lucky as his parents owned a publishing company...

Last edited by nickson104 : 01-21-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Bad layout