Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Dwarves -.- - Page 5 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
I always thought that drow were short, but not like a foot shorter than all the other elves, and I do recognize Drizzt Do'Urden in those pictures.
Everyone that is an avid reader of modern fantasy should :P personally I don't think R.A. Salvatore is a great writer, in technical ability - but I love the characters he creates and the way he expanded on the drow culture.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

A bit on the Dwarven mercs:

I would love to have dwarven construction options only available through one-time purchases from dwarfs. Like a faster wall repair, special defensive options like mines or a stronger portocullis. Or even Dwarven Seige weapons. This is on top of the normal units I'd expect- like axes, maybe mountain animal riders, and ranged units.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Hey how about a FF review this friday on dwarven merc??
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

Hasn't anyone here played Dwarf Fortress...?

Dwarves are freakin' amazing. They are the Rabbits from Redwall, the Irish guy from Braveheard, the gyrocopter guy from Road Warrior, the vikings from 13th Warrior... They are all of these things, only better.

Playing underground would be good, perhaps something could be done like... they require a mountain to build their home, and while all buildings are built in their hold... the external view remains generally the same. By this I mean you have: Mountain. You click build hold and a buncha' miners go to work. Automatically designated tunnels are constructed to build your dwarf hold, and more tunnels are built as it expands. In this, walls from human cities, become tunnels in Dwarven ones. Few other suggestions

1.) Slow walking speed. Their short, and it wouldn't be as bad on mountainous terrain or underground. This makes them defense based, which would be nice.
2.) Tech or Honor? Decide on one and run with it. Their either steampunk, or viking. Both may make balancing them out a chore.
3.) Armored as heck. Goes without saying
4.) Very poor ranged combat. They live in caves, how far can you shoot a bow, in a cave?
5.) Obviously they'll be hard to rut out if they own a Mountain, but perhaps they'll also have a random chance of digging too deep (Ala LotR), or mines collapse, or a number of other hazards they would have to deal with?
6.) Magic or Tech? Again, see the Tech or honor. Maybe a bit of both I may grudgingly admit... or you could combine them? Technological to the point of being magical?
7.) Hill vs. Mountain dwarves: Hill dwarves are dirtier hillier looking dwarves who make towns like humans, while Mountain dwarves are awesome Gimli like dudes.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 PM

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

An underground siege would require a total rework of the current siege game the way you guys tend to look at it. The way I look at it dwarven cities are based on one gigantic cavern, with traditional walls/towers/gates inside this cavern. Or perhaps they've hollowed out an entire mountain.

I mean, how do you use trebs for example in a regular cave system? Even archer trajectories would be suspect to hitting the roof of the caves constantly.

As for the lore in whether they're magical, very stubborn when it comes to dying, or technologically superior we can do anything since we're working within our own IP, not sure what the plan is for them. I kinda doubt the whole technology thing though, I imagine it'll be closer to the normal master smiths, lives underground, tough as nails.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

well josh, how about not allowing any siege weapons at all however when the dwarfs are attacked all they can do is defend themselves through the mines i mean they got plenty of tight places and can do a lot of dmg as they are heavily armored. Also you can use second stories as places where the few ranged dwarfs are, they would be hard to kill due to the guerrilla fighting HOWEVER if you find the king then they would really need to pull back. That could be fun
Old 02-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
An underground siege would require a total rework of the current siege game the way you guys tend to look at it. The way I look at it dwarven cities are based on one gigantic cavern, with traditional walls/towers/gates inside this cavern. Or perhaps they've hollowed out an entire mountain.

I mean, how do you use trebs for example in a regular cave system? Even archer trajectories would be suspect to hitting the roof of the caves constantly.

As for the lore in whether they're magical, very stubborn when it comes to dying, or technologically superior we can do anything since we're working within our own IP, not sure what the plan is for them. I kinda doubt the whole technology thing though, I imagine it'll be closer to the normal master smiths, lives underground, tough as nails.
You'd have to bust the front door down. As to damage beyond that, I mean: Your going to be limited, but then the more exposed the dwarves make themselves, the more damage you can cause by conventional means. If they carve a rampart into the stone above their entry, you can nuke it. If they build a tower outside, you can hit it. The front will have to be big enough to support a town, so it can't be a 1 man sized door, it'll have to be larger, I mean at Least a 10 across gate. I would imagine that knocking it down would be easy, but as said by blackfang, beyond that it would be attrition all the way.

Also, on a side note, this is why I said make their range attacks **** poor. This would mean that they would really need to focus on hand to hand and tricks to survive their hold, but honestly: Where would they get practice with ranged weapons, UnderGround.

Last edited by ash12181987 : 02-13-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash12181987 View Post
You'd have to bust the front door down. As to damage beyond that, I mean: Your going to be limited, but then the more exposed the dwarves make themselves, the more damage you can cause by conventional means. If they carve a rampart into the stone above their entry, you can nuke it. If they build a tower outside, you can hit it. The front will have to be big enough to support a town, so it can't be a 1 man sized door, it'll have to be larger, I mean at Least a 10 across gate. I would imagine that knocking it down would be easy, but as said by blackfang, beyond that it would be attrition all the way.

Also, on a side note, this is why I said make their range attacks **** poor. This would mean that they would really need to focus on hand to hand and tricks to survive their hold, but honestly: Where would they get practice with ranged weapons, UnderGround.
Towers, trebs and archers are all huge parts of our siege game right now again, what you're suggesting changes the entire game and would be pretty much impossible to balance without making dwarves totally incapable of attacking other races, or incapable of defending.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash12181987 View Post

same place as everyone else would, in a range. The ranges them selves dont have to have a massive roof, as ranges are more short and accuracy/practice on the guns not Big wide open areas focusing on seeing how far you can fire.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

I think all these would be awsome. Possibly for a underground ward expantion where there can be lots of diffrent dwarf collonies each like diffrent races with diffrent ability's depending on where there culture lies.. could plan it like a great plague or event made them turn underground and in the 100's of yeard that have passed there can be true dwarfs. elven style dwarfs and even orc/more advanced goblin dwarf styles would be an intresting concept and would even out the balancing issues.

however a general above ground dwarf is likly to be needed for the current system. Which without could take a while to redo. Better to go with the safe otion and have a mountian built keep? but the rest of the buildings outside etc. Would be alittle like a strong hold can have bonuses on uneven ground etc also. But essencially would be an above ground type of unit. Could have transport tunnel opening also for fast transport of troops.