Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Suggestion: Read-only maps - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by olauwers View Post
How about an encrypted signature? So that the player who made it always can get credit, and it says something along the line: This scenario was originally Someone's, but was edited by Someone_Else.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I only would like a list of changes along with the map that people could understand.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-19-2008, 02:57 PM

LordSlayer has a default reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by olauwers View Post
How about an encrypted signature? So that the player who made it always can get credit, and it says something along the line: This scenario was originally Someone's, but was edited by Someone_Else.
That could work, but imagine the length of it if the map was a public built!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

It could always be compressed into a seperate file.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I like the 2 versions of editable and read-only is the best option
Old 04-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Despite all the discussion that's gone on throughout these pages, I have to say that nothing of it seems appealing in the least. You want something simple and straightforward, which was exactly what my original suggestion was to be. Don't needlessly overcomplicate the feature.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Reading things about a map isn't over-complicating.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 PM

LordSlayer has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
Reading things about a map isn't over-complicating.
But some people are incredibly lazy and will never take to time to read those.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

If they're too lazy that's their loss. One of the big problems with passwords is the people who can crack them usually release a program to the public so its extremely simple for anyone to do. So far (like Darvin mentioned) the best protection i've seen is corrupting the file.

The best idea I can think of would be the ability to save some of the maps scripts on an official server (with size limit to prevent it from causing anything like long loads) that requires a password to load them outside actual gameplay, that'd make it much more difficult I think. It'd mean the only way to steal the scripts would be during actual gameplay. But short of that I dunno.

All I know is password protection never works or lasts, it's too easy when people release programs to the public to crack them, plus it can put creators accounts in jeopardy if they're stupid nuf to use the same password as their account. If password protection is decided upon there should probably be a warning not to use any passwords you use for other programs as they can be cracked. Anyways awesome post! Just throwing my thoughts out, like the others here I don't have enough knowledge to speculate on map protection with any authority.

I know this is old so its probably already eben adressed just figured id throw my 2 cents in.

Last edited by Aametherar : 06-25-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

As said, we will probably do something simple like 'save as read-only'. No password.

The people that do have a map-cracker will probably release things to the public, yes. But the huge majority of users will not know anything about how to access map-cracking tools or even that they exist.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

I suppose you're right, it's not worth an extreme hassle on the devs part and it's something we just need to deal with as fit. I do have 1 last idea though, registering a specific map to your actual in game account, I know some maps will be revised/edited by other players and re-uploaded, but at the very least it gives the responsibility for a maps standards to a certain account when they register it.

I'm not saying ban or punish people who rig maps, but it's something that'd help guide the communities knowledge of mapmakers or know if its authentic or not, and at the very least (even with original authors name on separate area) the new uploader would have to take some credit for making changes and it wouldnt be put ont he original author if something was rigged.

Last edited by Aametherar : 06-25-2009 at 06:29 AM.