Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

how to build the wall - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

of course the option to build a own wall would be fun as well but i can live with that
Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

Jack has a default reputation

i always want a good lokking city
so if there are a few walls i can use and can place my own towers and stuff
than it wil be good for me
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

perhaps until i visit you
Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

Jack has a default reputation

no thanks
els i kill you with my army archers and the oil that will let you burm
Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Hopefully some genius coder will come along and make an add-on to design your own castle, as we've discussed in other threads. But otherwise I'm agreed, for the time being it's not too big a thing for me.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

I'd also add it's the only way to actually make walls/towers etc balanced. Look at stronghold and stronghold two if you want extremes of underpowered and overpowered castle designs. There's no real way to keep walls cost effective and and a big part of your defensive strategy if you can freeform unless we want to let you create utterly game breaking wall setups.

I'd much rather lose the ability to create my own wall designs than have walls be next to useless - because the other option where you can create nearly impenetrable fortresses... well it's not really an option at all.

If you want another example of this, just look at Age of Empires where walls were only used by turtlers and even then it was hardly ever effective. Sure you could make some awesome looking fortresses - but one treb sits at the very edge of it's range and you realize your wall is for little more than decoration.

It's not like it'd be difficult to make the player able to place the walls, all we'd need is a way to rotate before placing. We already have orc units that can place buildings as they see fit.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 01-04-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Quote:
this sounds cool i am too lazy to build my own wall
Yeah - and I mean our towns are pretty huge with hundreds of wall peaces - just imagine placing and rotating all of these yourself *yawn*. Won`t you rather have our underpaid level designers take care of that?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
Yeah - and I mean our towns are pretty huge with hundreds of wall peaces - just imagine placing and rotating all of these yourself *yawn*. Won`t you rather have our underpaid level designers take care of that?
In my case i would rather do it myself because i am fond of doing everything in a strategy game myself but i can live without it Or at least until a genius designer comes and takes care of it
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
That's actually a pretty good point lol. Walls take time to get to them look right between rotating and choosing the right curved or slanted piece otherwise you end up with little gaps or they won't be lined up and there will be a bit of wall sticking out lol. The level designers have done a good job of it though, they do take their time and it looks great, it takes more time and effort with the walls we have, but you can make some truly great looking castles with this instead of just the blocks in a grid system most games with player placed walls are.

Have to keep in mind blackfang our walls are a lot more complex than AoE and even stronghold's, placing them by hand for each town would be very time consuming and involve a lot of trial and error.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 01-04-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

And trial and error costs. man i hate getting things wrong then realising that all the money/recources ive spent has to be knocked down and re-placed >.< *shivver*