Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

how to build the wall - Page 11 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

If it were a single player game primarily I'd have no issue with all the customization in the world, or if we'd made walls more aesthetic rather than an integral part of sieges, absolutely.

Just practicality and balance need to be considered too, overpowered or underpowered, neither were very interesting as they take away one of the coolest parts of the game, sieges. Or at least dull them down considerably. What I mean is just that everything was considered, no hasty decisions here. Of course we can't please everyone, no game can do that, but this was the best compromise for now.

Not very long as far as rants go, wouldn't worry about it.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Reverie World Studios QA Tester

Noel Bohac has a default reputation

Oh no doubt about it Josh,

I just think as it as something to "think" about after release. Call me a fortune teller, but I think it will do very well and you guys will be able to expand upon it more even after. But alas I am of course jumping ahead, eh we can always wish and talk about things no doubt.

-Guardious

"The story you just went through in 10 min took a team of devs 100 days to make"
Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 AM

ebrad has a default reputation

Just some thoughts that came to mind from a person who loves spending too much time making things visually appealing and interesting:
  • What about having wall placement be limited to 30 angled sections and behave like Age of Mythology walls?
  • Having a 'length of wall' limit to prevent crazy designs. Say 3000meters of wall available so some could enclose a large area including their economy buildings or you can make a super-strong outpost that is basically just a keep. (I'm sure this shows off my ignorance about what's available in the game)
  • Having a 'suggest wall layout' ability that just takes your buildings into account and 'wraps' them in a wall. This would be for players that don't care about aesthetics and just want it done quickly

I tend to prefer the building aspects of RTS games more than the fighting, so more flexibility would make me happy
Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Orc Sect:
Impaler

Dalkor has a default reputation

Will the preset's be bound to a single possible location, or will there be options. (e.g. Dragging and dropping this preset wall on this particular piece of terrain). Sorry If this was already answered.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

TriggerHappyNDB is just above average reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkor View Post
Will the preset's be bound to a single possible location, or will there be options. (e.g. Dragging and dropping this preset wall on this particular piece of terrain). Sorry If this was already answered.
Actually curious about this myself, so I'm glad you asked. Are the plots highlighted, showing you where your walls will be so you can plan your town based on where they will be, or do they come in preset designs that you can choose the location of, just not the overall shape and area covered?

While slightly disappointing from a creative standpoint, I can completely understand from a balance standpoint that you couldn't do an Age of Empires style of wall building. I just don't fully understand the implementation just yet.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM

skyhouse71 has a default reputation

This game sounds great
Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhouse71 View Post
This game sounds great
I know isn't it!

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.